Akai S3000 / S3200
The S-series samplers from Akai are most likely the best 16-bit samplers in the world. The most radical feature about these great samplers is that they are very synth-like. Aside from outstanding sampling specs such as 44.1kHz 16-bit stereo sampling with tons of RAM (8 to 32 MB) and extensive editing capability, the S3000 series have excellent synth-like filters with resonance, 32-voice polyphony, full digital onboard effects (delay, chorus, reverb, etc.) two LFOs, and complete MIDI implementation with MTC and SMPTE. Other bonus features include digital I/O, SCSI interface, multiple storage options and a great big LCD display screen.
The S3000XL (pictured above) has the same specs as the S3000. But it comes with most of the options already installed. That includes the built-in hard-disk recording option, added filters, SCSI interface, digital I/O, additional optional effects and a SMPTE reader/generator.
The S3200 (pictured above) differs from the S3000 by coming with the added Digital filter expansion board and a magneto-optical storage drive option. Also, the Digital I/O, SCSI and SMPTE interfaces are standard features on the S3200.
Some other models in the series include various options such as built in CD drives (S3000CD) or internal hard disks (S3000i, pictured top). The S-series samplers are THE professional standard and are used by everybody in all styles of music, especially the sampling-intensive styles of music such as HipHop, Techno, Trance, House, Industrial and Ambient. S3000 series samplers are used by William Ørbit, Moby, Apollo 440, Fluke, Hardfloor, Goldie, Plastikman, Olive, LTJ Bukem, Eat Static, Dave Holmes, Underworld, Fatboy Slim, Faithless, Future Sound of London, Sneaker Pimps, Pet Shop Boys, and A Guy Called Gerald.
Lookup Akai S3000 / S3200 Prices
The link above will take you to an eBay search for this synth to see active listings with more images, specs and information. If you don't find it there, try looking in our forum marketplace. Our marketplace gets thousands of visits every week so make sure to check back often if you want to buy or sell a synth.
Related forum topics
Are you looking to buy or sell a Akai S3000 / S3200? Post an ad in Gear For Sale or a request in Gear Wanted. For spare parts and repair services check out Gear Services & Other Goods. Our forums also has a Buyer’s Guide section where you can ask for advice on buying synthesizers.
- The link above will take you to an eBay search for this synth to see active listings. If you don't find it there, try looking in our forum marketplace or post a wanted classified.
- Polyphony - 32 voice
- Sampler - 16 Bit, 44.1 or 22.05 kHz, 8MB to 32MB, capacity up to 255 samples
- LFO - (2) LFOs
- Filter - Digital moving low-pass filter (-12 dB/octave with resonance); Optional upgrade to Digital moving hi-/band-/low-pass filter (-12 dB/octave with resonance) for 3200 models.
- VCA - (2) Digital Envelope Generators
- Effects - 50 effects (Echo, Delay, Chorus, Pitch Shift, Reverb); Optional EB-16 Multi Effector board for S3000XL: (SampleVerb in North America) 4-channel, studio-quality, multi-effects board.
- Storage - S3000: 3.5-inch 2HD/2DD floppy disk; Hard Disk Recording (optional via) IB-304F 2nd LSI board; 3.5-inch hard disk (optional) internally mountable; SCSI (optional via) IB-301S SCSI board.
S3000XL: 3.5-inch 2HD/2DD floppy disk; Hard Disk Recording Provided; 3.5-inch hard disk (optional) internally mountable; SCSI provided.
S3200: 3.5-inch 2HD/2DD floppy disk; Hard Disk Recording Provided; 3.5-inch hard disk (optional) internally mountable; 3.5-inch MO disk drive (optional) internally mountable; SCSI provided.
S3200XL: 3.5-inch 2HD/2DD floppy disk; Hard Disk Recording Provided; 3.5-inch hard disk (optional) internally mountable; 3.5-inch MO disk drive (optional) internally mountable; SCSI provided.
- Control - S3000: MIDI; Optional IB-302D AES/EBU Digital In/Out interface; Optional IB-303T SMPTE Reader/Generator board.
S3000XL: MIDI; S/PDIF Digital In/Out provided; SMPTE Reader/Generator Not available.
S3200: MIDI; AES/EBU Digital In/Out provided; SMPTE Reader/Generator provided.
S3200XL: MIDI; S/PDIF Digital In/Out provided; SMPTE Reader/Generator provided.
- Date Produced - 1996
- Shop for Keyboards, MIDI & Gear
- Resources & Credits
Images from Akai S-Series Samplers
Errors or Corrections? Send them here.