A wolf in sheep's clothing, the CZ-230S uses exactly the same synthesizer technology as the CZ-101, mini keys included. But a few things give it more of a 'home' keyboard type image; firstly it had a built-in speaker; secondly it had 99 preset sounds with no way of editing them (only four of the sounds in the sound bank could be programmed by linking the synthesizer to a computer via its MIDI port).
However it had a built-in programmable drum machine (from the Casio RZ-1) and sequencer (step and realtime) which almost made it a workstation before its time. Midi in/out/thru was undoubtedly a first for a 'home' keyboard. Used by Vince Clarke of Erasure on the album 'Wonderland'.
Demos & Media
Shop for Keyboards, MIDI & Gear
- Guitar Center: Synths and MIDI
- Sweetwater: Hot items in Keyboars section
- The Musician's Friend: Keyboard gear
- AMS: Brand synths and accessories
- The Woodwind & Brasswind Store
- music123.com: Synth Blow Out Deal Section
- Shop Casio: Everything Casio
- zZounds: Keyboards and MIDI equipment
- Earphone Solutions: Wide variety of earphones
Images from Synrise.de.
Info provided by Nicholas Varley.
Reviewed November 2007.