Dave Smith Instruments Mopho
Dave Smith Instruments is back with another excellent and affordable analog monophonic synthesizer. The Mopho is a single voice from the mighty Prophet ’08 with the addition of one sub-oscillator per DCO. It offers a stereo output and an audio input for processing external sound through its fantastic Curtis lowpass filter. The Mopho's 2+2 oscillators, fully analog signal path, extensive modulation capabilities, and characteristic DSI lowpass filter makes big analog sound available at an astonishingly low price!
The desktop module version includes dedicated knobs (detented encoders) for pitch, volume, program selection, filter, and basic envelope controls as well as four knobs that can be assigned to any other parameters the user chooses. The interface is somewhat limited, but easy to learn and navigate. To overcome this limitation, there is a free Mac/Win software editor included, and there are a few third-party software editors available as well. Additional features include four LFOs, a gated 16-step sequencer, three ADSR envelope generators and an arpeggiator. There is also a "Push-It" button which auditions patches, can step through a sequence or function as a tap-tempo button.
The keyboard version adds a USB interface, as well as a 32 key (2.5 octave) semi-weighted keyboard with velocity and aftertouch. With much more front panel real estate available, far more parameters are immediately accessible via 25 knobs as opposed to the desktop version's 10. Pitch Bend & Mod Wheels and classic wooden end panels are nice additions too.
Both versions include a prorietary Poly Chain socket which allows you to connect and control other Dave Smith Instruments synthesizers for expanded polyphony and a much bigger sound. This works particularly well with the Prophet '08, and the Tetra.
The Mopho is an excellent choice for anyone looking for large, aggressive analog sound combined with extreme flexibility at a very low price. It's tempting to make the Pro-One comparison, but it's much more accurate to think of the Mopho as a descendant rather than a reproduction. It shares the same spirit and function, but has a soul and personality that is all its own.
Lookup Dave Smith Instruments Mopho Prices
The link above will take you to an eBay search for this synth to see active listings with more images, specs and information. If you don't find it there, try looking in our forum marketplace. Our marketplace gets thousands of visits every week so make sure to check back often if you want to buy or sell a synth.
Related forum topics
Are you looking to buy or sell a Dave Smith Instruments Mopho? Post an ad in Gear For Sale or a request in Gear Wanted. For spare parts and repair services check out Gear Services & Other Goods. Our forums also has a Buyer’s Guide section where you can ask for advice on buying synthesizers.
- The link above will take you to an eBay search for this synth to see active listings. If you don't find it there, try looking in our forum marketplace or post a wanted classified.
- Demos & Media
- Polyphony - Monophonic
- Multitimbral - 1 part
- Oscillators - 2 DCOs, 2 Suboscillators
- Waveforms - sawtooth, triangle, saw/triangle, and variable pulse width square waves, with hard sync
- LFO - 4 LFOs with triangle, saw, reverse saw, square, random
- Filter - 24 or 12 dB/oct selectable lowpass with ADSR
- Envelope - 1 Analog VCA; 3 ADSR Envelopes w/Delay (VCA, VCF, Assignable)
- Effects - Feedback (routes output back into input!), Glide/portamento (keyboard version)
- Sequencer - Gated 16-step sequencer (one sequence per program)
- Patterns - 4x sequences per patch
- Arpeggiator - Up, Down, Up/Down, Order Played
- Keyboard - 32 keys w/velocity and aftertouch (keyboard version only)
- Memory - 384 user patterns
- Control - MIDI In, Out/Thru; USB (keyboard version only)
- Date Produced - 2008 - Current
- Shop for Keyboards, MIDI & Gear
Errors or Corrections? Send them here.