Minimal wave tips??? Ensoniq, Moog, E-mu

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Re: Minimal wave tips??? Ensoniq, Moog, E-mu

Postby rhino » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:50 pm

alfadawg01 wrote:Hmmm....the OP vanished on us. That's what happens when someone comes expecting us to do his homework for him.

I must have done it wrong: I came expecting you to pay my utility bills for me. (lol)
"A thing may seem impossible...until it's done."
--Nelson Mandela
rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Advertisement:

Postby monolith » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:11 am

Maybe the OP has more pressing issues than checking a forum every day?

At least it's not as bad as a Gearcuntz thread I saw - 'where can I find chord progression generator plugins?' :banghead:
monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby bassplayer1980 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:09 am

I know how to play minimal stuff, I was just curious for some experiences with those synths. I describe how I use them. I just wanted to hear experiences about other synths because I know many bands that use their synths differently. thanks by the way. this post help me a lot.
bassplayer1980

Gear: Moog lp, Ensoniq ESQ-1, E-mu command station, Mackie mixer 402 vlz3.

Postby FX23 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:45 pm

Why bother?
FX23

Postby Stab Frenzy » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:56 am

Holy shit, a guy who actually wants to make music with his synths instead of just looking at them and getting a boner, let's get him guys!
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby Solderman » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:32 am

bassplayer1980 wrote:I just wanted to hear experiences about other synths because I know many bands that use their synths differently. thanks by the way. this post help me a lot.

There actually was a little good advice here and I was curious about what would be said myself. Between The Minimal Wave Tapes compilations and bands I like such as Xeno & Oaklander or Keluar having modest success, I'm tempted to make some music like this myself.

JayEm wrote:according to wikipedia, your gear is wrong for minimal wave because they include midi.
best just to give up entirely.

As callous and unhelpful as this sounds, there's some truth to it, if one wants some authenticity. I don't see why you ultimately couldn't do it with a DAW or some other Midi oriented setup, but it likely would achieve somewhat different results, since you aren't as limited in what you can do, namely how much you are able to do in real-time and how you go about setting that up.

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analogue. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." - Brian Eno
Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: μbrute, Kraftzwerg I, Поливокс(mod), SEM Pro, SH101(mod), TR606(mod), α Juno, Virus b

Postby Jabberwalky » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:29 am

You already have everything you need. I have no idea how the Emu works, but if it lets you transpose sequences from a keyboard you're good. You should build a drum modular. Those are always cool.
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Dx7|ProOne|MEK|9700s|Ms20m|700s|
|P61|An1x|Dx21|Emax2|Ds8
Band: Variar, Model Human

Postby moremagic » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:30 am

the esq1 is fun with modular
how many digital polysynths have a cv input?
if you have cv out on the lp you could do cool sequences on the esq1 or sequence it via the command station, and patch the cv to various things on different voices for some multitimbral madness
moremagic

Gear: small stone,nuo2,dd-6,ps-6,mf-102,mf-101,er-1,ps-5,mf-104z,pds-20/20,hd-1000,ep-501,mf-107,cp-251,mp-4,ad-9,pme-40x,s-10,sp-404sx,mpc2000xl,pds-1002

Postby Solderman » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:39 pm

Jabberwalky wrote:I have no idea how the Emu works, but if it lets you transpose sequences from a keyboard you're good. You should build a drum modular. Those are always cool.

Dunno about the emu, but I had a look at the ESQ-1 manual and there is no way I can tell for transposing sequences or individual tracks in real-time with the keyboard. Your best bet is use Song mode and transpose song steps(1 Song step=1 Sequence), albeit this is not a real-time application.

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analogue. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." - Brian Eno
Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: μbrute, Kraftzwerg I, Поливокс(mod), SEM Pro, SH101(mod), TR606(mod), α Juno, Virus b

Previous

Return to General Synthesizers