Dave Smith's forgotten synth - the yamaha sy22

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Postby Sir Ruff » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:51 pm

nuketifromorbit wrote:Ha, so thats what tallows did with my sy35. Honestly I like the tg33 I picked up quite a bit better than they sy35. Theres certain waves that went missing on the sy35, specifically a really great one which I swear I've heard used on skinny puppy's last rights.

ha... it's like "pass the synth"... where'd my k4r end up? :lol:
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Advertisement:

Postby tom Cadillac » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:37 pm

My sy22 arrived yesterday - delivered to my door for $233 NZ! - yeah and immediate synth bonding. Had to pull my fingers off it to come to work this morning.

The keyboard feels lovely to play and moving the joystick in and out of the four sounds is great. And soundwise - just seems normal synth patches - waiting to be tweaked. The rock organ is good, but who the f#@k wants "synth tormbone?
My favourite was the 4VCO preset, but I wiped it out pressing knobs before i digested the manual. Anyone else done this? I damaged another wonderful preset ('bluemoon' on an EMU mps) this way. Why is it always that there's just one killer preset and that's the one you learn "don't press that dial!" with?

Anyways - its a great synth. And I think I'm going with the neglected work of a synth genius tag.
"On the following day , the sorcery undespairingly continued: I changed my series, chose other sequences, cut other lengths, spliced different progressions, and hoped afresh for a miracle in sound." (Stockhausen)
tom Cadillac

Gear: FS1R, EPS, JP8000, Kaos pad, Ineko, SP606, Mopho, MP7 and so on....
Band: Bipolarbass

Postby Taxidermy » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:37 am

If I remember correctly, you can't damage the presets, because their are user storage slots and presets, and you can't overwrite the latter (unless you inadvertently overwrote one of the patches the previous owner worked on, which may suck if its a good sound).
Taxidermy

Gear: Little Fatty
Mopho
TX81z
Ion
Casio Rapman

Postby Isthmus » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:43 pm

I'll definitely be on the lookout for one of these on the cheap. I've recently fallen in love with vector synthesis through my experience programming the Wavestation (via Korg's Legacy Collection), and I'm thinking my next major synth purchase may be a Prophet VS.
Isthmus

Postby Computer Controlled » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:47 pm

nuketifromorbit wrote:specifically a really great one which I swear I've heard used on skinny puppy's last rights.

You are correct. They used one the TG-33's presets. I don't remember what one it is, i haven't had a TG-33 in a few years now.
Computer Controlled
No Longer Registered

Postby carlosagv » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:14 am

The problem of yamaha sy22 is the 12 bits samples the yamaha sy35 is 16 bits

here is the yamaha sy22/35 and tg 33 yahoo groups in the files you can download patches
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tg33sy2235/
carlosagv

Postby elmosexwhistle » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:50 pm

i've had one for a while now...personally i love 12-bit stuff, as i make alot of industrial type music...the 2-op fm on this board is very very cute and can be used to create some sega-like patches...x
Yamaha AN1x (Pink!), Alesis Fusion 6HD, Yamaha DX11, Korg Poly 800, Korg Mono/Poly, Yamaha TG33, TX7, PSS 290/390/460/570, DD6 (Circuit Bent), DD10, Casio PT1/PT20/MT68/MT240/MA130/HT3000, Too Many Plugins...
elmosexwhistle
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Band: Elmo Sexwhistle

Postby Dano » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:44 pm

carlosagv wrote:The problem of yamaha sy22 is the 12 bits samples the yamaha sy35 is 16 bits

here is the yamaha sy22/35 and tg 33 yahoo groups in the files you can download patches
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tg33sy2235/

Welcome to VSE Carlos!

I wanted to add that IMO FWIW some of the patch descriptions in the TG-33 entertaining are pretty entertaining! (E.g. What it sounds like to fall into a bottomless pit.)
Dano

Postby RedSky » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:56 pm

It does great stings. Moby used it quite a lot and that "industry" preset is cool as well as the 'water' samples.
RedSky
No Longer Registered

Postby MrFrodo » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:57 pm

I wouldn't think of the SY22 as "Dave Smith's forgotten synth." As much of a hit as it was in the early 90's, who could forget it?

Now, how many people knew that it was designed by Dave Smith back then, I don't know.
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon
MrFrodo
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby meatballfulton » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:01 pm

A lot of people have use them just because they have been so cheap...under $100 was the going rate for a TG33 until recently and not much more for an SY22. Funny how price makes all the difference in a synth's popularity :? Hell, almost any synth is worth having around if you can get it for $50.

Lately there's been unrealistic price inflation...there's a TG33 on eBay right now with a BIN of $282!!! The guy is dreaming.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Moog Voyager (FS), Live 9

Re: Dave Smith's forgotten synth - the yamaha sy22

Postby diezdiazgiant » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:32 am

meatballfulton wrote:A lot of people have use them just because they have been so cheap...under $100 was the going rate for a TG33 until recently and not much more for an SY22. Funny how price makes all the difference in a synth's popularity :? Hell, almost any synth is worth having around if you can get it for $50.

Lately there's been unrealistic price inflation...there's a TG33 on eBay right now with a BIN of $282!!! The guy is dreaming.

ha that bubble crashed, i revived/stumbled on this thread looking for info on the tg33 because i had just bought one off ebay for 75 dollars. i havent played with it yet but from the samples ive heard it sounds like it can make string and horn sounds that i'll love. the few demos ive heard of it, the horns remind me alot of the horns used in el-p's production (i'm not a fan of el-p but i would be lying if i ssaid i didnt like those horns...)
blunted daydreaming
diezdiazgiant

Gear: a computer and some odd bits of junk and microphones
Band: jizzflap cuntfuck

Postby Jabberwalky » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:54 am

Here's a really impressive demo of the Sy-22 I found

[youtube]gd3jvhEMw90[/youtube]
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Dx7, ProOne, Kitten, 9700s, Ms20m, 700s, Bs2, P61, Eps16+, An1x, Dx21, Emax2, Ds8
Band: Variar, Model Human

Postby kuroichi » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:57 am

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!
kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby Hossinfeffa » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:01 am

That's the future of music right there. Our ears are not ready for such a brilliant composition.
Well fffff.
Hossinfeffa

Gear: C00L !RETRO! @VINTAGE~ STUFF

PreviousNext

Return to General Synthesizers