Andromeda or Jupiter

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Postby droolmaster0 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:15 pm

Juno6 wrote:
droolmaster0 wrote:
Juno6 wrote:A6 = Best Poly analog ever.


You've tried them all?


Most of them, yeah. Prophets, Jupiters, Memorys, CSs, Oberheims, Omega8, etc. I could mention the ones I didn´t played if you want,
Elka Synthex, FVS/EVS, Arp Quadra, PolyKobol, Sunsyn, Korg PS... mmm I may forget any other, but there´s no poly with
the routings, voices, etc. of the A6. Prophet´s polymod is a joke compared to the A6, and that was pretty cool at the time. The
memorymoog is more flexible than the Prophet, but still not like the A6.
Well, that´s my opinion.


Ok - you call it the best ever, but you haven't tried the Sunsyn....it's true - the A6 has MORE routings than the others, but the Sunsyn has a way easier user interface, various audio modulations, and (imo) a superior sound. The Xpander/m12 has arguably just as good or better mod routings - not as many, but more envelopes and lfos, and the oscillators can be set to just play themselves without triggering a note, which the A6 cannot do.

Other than that - I do appreciate lots of flexibility and mod routings, but I'd hesitate to call the A6 the best even with that as an important consideration. I'd put the Sunsyn ahead of it for its sound and interface, and the xpander/m12 ahead because of its mod routings, and much better user interface (imo). Well, then again, I might take an a6 over the oberheims, but I really didn't like the interface on the a6.
droolmaster0
Active Member
Active Member
 
Posts: 458
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:09 am

Advertisement:

Postby DGX305 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:49 pm

Akai MPC1000 | Alesis Fusion 8HD + Ion + 2x QS8 | Boss SYB-5 | Edirol PCR-1 | Korg Electribe EMX | Novation X-Station 25 | Roland V-Synth GT + V-Synth + VC1 + VC2 | Yamaha AN200 + DX5 + MK100
DGX305
Active Member
Active Member
 
Posts: 255
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:58 pm
Location: New York

Postby Juno6 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:38 am

droolmaster0 wrote:
Juno6 wrote:
droolmaster0 wrote:
Juno6 wrote:A6 = Best Poly analog ever.


You've tried them all?


Most of them, yeah. Prophets, Jupiters, Memorys, CSs, Oberheims, Omega8, etc. I could mention the ones I didn´t played if you want,
Elka Synthex, FVS/EVS, Arp Quadra, PolyKobol, Sunsyn, Korg PS... mmm I may forget any other, but there´s no poly with
the routings, voices, etc. of the A6. Prophet´s polymod is a joke compared to the A6, and that was pretty cool at the time. The
memorymoog is more flexible than the Prophet, but still not like the A6.
Well, that´s my opinion.


Ok - you call it the best ever, but you haven't tried the Sunsyn....it's true - the A6 has MORE routings than the others, but the Sunsyn has a way easier user interface, various audio modulations, and (imo) a superior sound. The Xpander/m12 has arguably just as good or better mod routings - not as many, but more envelopes and lfos, and the oscillators can be set to just play themselves without triggering a note, which the A6 cannot do.

Other than that - I do appreciate lots of flexibility and mod routings, but I'd hesitate to call the A6 the best even with that as an important consideration. I'd put the Sunsyn ahead of it for its sound and interface, and the xpander/m12 ahead because of its mod routings, and much better user interface (imo). Well, then again, I might take an a6 over the oberheims, but I really didn't like the interface on the a6.


Ok, I´m going to stop it here. I didn´t use the Sunsyn but never really liked the tone of it from hundreds of demos I heard. It´s a question of personal taste.
(I respect it deeply anyway)
I don´t think the Xpander has more flexible modulation routings. The FM possibilities of the A6 are far far better. On the Xpander you can modulate osc1 OR filter cutoff from osc2. On the A6:

OSC2 mods OSC1´s LinFM, ExpFM and PW.
OSC1 mods OSC2´s ExpFM and PW.
OSC1 mods OSC1´s LinFM, ExpFM and PW.
OSC1 mods Filter1 and/or Filter2 cutoff freq.
OSC2 mods Filter1 and/or Filter2 cutoff freq.
White/Pink/Red Noise mods Filter1 and or Filter2 cutoff freq.
White/Pink/Red Noise mods OSC1´s LinFM, ExpFM and PW.
White/Pink/Red Noise mods OSC2´s ExpFM and PW.

most of them simultaneously!!!
The modulation sources and destinations are way more on the A6. The envelopes are less in number but much more complex, and faster.
The voices can trigger themselves on the Xpander, you have to play a key on the A6. No problem.

One thing most people don´t consider is that the modulation depth on the A6 destinations are wide, with only one mod dest. you can sweep all
the range. On the Xpander I find myself having to assign the same source several times to have a wide range. The FM depth on the A6 is also
wider than on the Xpander.

I don´t like the UI of the Xpander at all. I can´t imagine comparing a 72 16-bit resolution knobs UI with the 6 hard to turn knobs of the Xpander.
Not to mention the screens...
Anyway, I love the Xpander, but came on...

PS: I really like the Xpander´s Lag implementation, a big omission on the A6.
User avatar
Juno6
Junior Member
Junior Member
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:34 am
Location: Argentina

Postby droolmaster0 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:00 am

Juno6 wrote:
droolmaster0 wrote:
Juno6 wrote:
droolmaster0 wrote:
Juno6 wrote:A6 = Best Poly analog ever.


You've tried them all?


Most of them, yeah. Prophets, Jupiters, Memorys, CSs, Oberheims, Omega8, etc. I could mention the ones I didn´t played if you want,
Elka Synthex, FVS/EVS, Arp Quadra, PolyKobol, Sunsyn, Korg PS... mmm I may forget any other, but there´s no poly with
the routings, voices, etc. of the A6. Prophet´s polymod is a joke compared to the A6, and that was pretty cool at the time. The
memorymoog is more flexible than the Prophet, but still not like the A6.
Well, that´s my opinion.


Ok - you call it the best ever, but you haven't tried the Sunsyn....it's true - the A6 has MORE routings than the others, but the Sunsyn has a way easier user interface, various audio modulations, and (imo) a superior sound. The Xpander/m12 has arguably just as good or better mod routings - not as many, but more envelopes and lfos, and the oscillators can be set to just play themselves without triggering a note, which the A6 cannot do.

Other than that - I do appreciate lots of flexibility and mod routings, but I'd hesitate to call the A6 the best even with that as an important consideration. I'd put the Sunsyn ahead of it for its sound and interface, and the xpander/m12 ahead because of its mod routings, and much better user interface (imo). Well, then again, I might take an a6 over the oberheims, but I really didn't like the interface on the a6.


Ok, I´m going to stop it here. I didn´t use the Sunsyn but never really liked the tone of it from hundreds of demos I heard. It´s a question of personal taste.
(I respect it deeply anyway)
I don´t think the Xpander has more flexible modulation routings. The FM possibilities of the A6 are far far better. On the Xpander you can modulate osc1 OR filter cutoff from osc2. On the A6:

OSC2 mods OSC1´s LinFM, ExpFM and PW.
OSC1 mods OSC2´s ExpFM and PW.
OSC1 mods OSC1´s LinFM, ExpFM and PW.
OSC1 mods Filter1 and/or Filter2 cutoff freq.
OSC2 mods Filter1 and/or Filter2 cutoff freq.
White/Pink/Red Noise mods Filter1 and or Filter2 cutoff freq.
White/Pink/Red Noise mods OSC1´s LinFM, ExpFM and PW.
White/Pink/Red Noise mods OSC2´s ExpFM and PW.

most of them simultaneously!!!
The modulation sources and destinations are way more on the A6. The envelopes are less in number but much more complex, and faster.
The voices can trigger themselves on the Xpander, you have to play a key on the A6. No problem.

One thing most people don´t consider is that the modulation depth on the A6 destinations are wide, with only one mod dest. you can sweep all
the range. On the Xpander I find myself having to assign the same source several times to have a wide range. The FM depth on the A6 is also
wider than on the Xpander.

I don´t like the UI of the Xpander at all. I can´t imagine comparing a 72 16-bit resolution knobs UI with the 6 hard to turn knobs of the Xpander.
Not to mention the screens...
Anyway, I love the Xpander, but came on...

PS: I really like the Xpander´s Lag implementation, a big omission on the A6.


I really don't have an issue with someone saying that the A6 mod routings are deeper overall. However - I can't understand preferring the A6 interface. On the Xpander you can just FLY, and you can set up a multimode with each patch having unique modulations, and it's just all right there. The A6 mod routings are scattered all over the place. I admit that I've spent way more time with an Xpander/Matrix 12. Gotta get my hands on an A6 again.
droolmaster0
Active Member
Active Member
 
Posts: 458
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:09 am

Postby xpander » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:40 am

as an Xpander owner, i like the interface more than any other non-modular synthesizer i own or have used, i think it's brilliant. that said, i consider the A6 the only non-modular analog that compares to the Xp/M12 engine. they are good rivals! buy both, be done with it.
User avatar
xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
 
Posts: 1670
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:15 am
Location: los gatos, california
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Postby droolmaster0 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:33 am

xpander wrote:as an Xpander owner, i like the interface more than any other non-modular synthesizer i own or have used, i think it's brilliant. that said, i consider the A6 the only non-modular analog that compares to the Xp/M12 engine. they are good rivals! buy both, be done with it.


Yes. I agree with you. It's absolutely brilliant. I think that the Sunsyn is very close, however. I wish it had a better multimode. On the other hand, it's pretty much totally analog from top to bottom, and I think that the sound quality is better than the xpander.
droolmaster0
Active Member
Active Member
 
Posts: 458
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:09 am

Postby JJQ » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:52 am

There is a new review of the JoMoX at Bluesynths.com.

I Have to say that Im convinced that it is a interesting synth. More so than the A6

+1 on the Xpander interface, brilliant.

Still the JP-8 is so play-friendly and musical...
Gear: Minimoog, Roland TB-303, TR-606, TR-808, Jupiter-8, Oberheim SEM, Yamaha CS-50, .com/oakley/moon/mos-lab/STG/COTK
User avatar
JJQ
Active Member
Active Member
 
Posts: 471
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: Malmo, east-side

Postby DIGITAL SCREAMS » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:31 am

Have you all been able to download my mp3 file ok? and run it?

DS
Synthesizers: Roland Jupiter 8, Sequential Prophet 5, Moog Old School, Access Virus TI2, Yamaha DX7 MKII (and FM8), Roland D50, Korg Wavestation and M1

Website: http://www.youtube.com/user/DIGITALSCREAMS
DIGITAL SCREAMS
Junior Member
Junior Member
 
Posts: 224
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:26 am
Location: In the Studio.....
Band: Digital Screams

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:43 am

Another big thumbs up for the Xpander interface. I love every aspect of my M12, but I have to confess it's not the best performance synth in the world. Definitely a studio piece best left indoors.
Leeroy Jenkins
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:33 pm
Location: Euguine, Novacheinchia

Postby MrFrodo » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:48 am

I suggest you go with the Andromeda. It may have a much different sound than the Jupiter, but it's still analog, and you do get touch- and aftertouch-sensitivity. As much as a vintage freak as I am, I'd rather get the Andromeda (if it were currently up to me) and later get an MKS-80 or the like.
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon
MrFrodo
Expert Member
Expert Member
 
Posts: 1052
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:29 pm
Location: New York, NY, USA
Real name: Eric

Postby yburn » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:53 am

Well I found a CS60, so I'm going to get that and then try and get a play on an Andromeda. I'll probably stop there as I don't want so much gear that music takes the passenger seat, unless of course, a VCS3 pops up and I can afford it or perhaps a MS20.....
yburn
Junior Member
Junior Member
 
Posts: 121
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 2:11 pm
Location: London

Postby MrFrodo » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:52 pm

Considering where you are, you'll be more likely to find a VCS3 than I would. (What a treat!)
Last edited by MrFrodo on Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon
MrFrodo
Expert Member
Expert Member
 
Posts: 1052
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:29 pm
Location: New York, NY, USA
Real name: Eric

Postby Bitexion » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:15 pm

Proof that the A6 is a good polysynth, is that Nick Rhodes of Duran Duran is using it, and there is no Jupiter-8 in sight. The stream is live at Live Earth now.
And Duran Duran are probably a major reason for the JP8's popularity, since so many of their greatest hits are laced in the jupiter.
User avatar
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
 
Posts: 3609
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:43 pm
Location: Drammen, Norway
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Postby DIGITAL SCREAMS » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:20 pm

Bitexion wrote:Proof that the A6 is a good polysynth.....


DuranDuran are a big band and so are these....

Depeche mode http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1XqR838duY

PetShopBoys http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GiE4rJZGRI

Jamiroquai http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp7lD-3mjww

If a synth is good enough to feature on a record by these guys then sure it would be good enough for anyone....

DS
Synthesizers: Roland Jupiter 8, Sequential Prophet 5, Moog Old School, Access Virus TI2, Yamaha DX7 MKII (and FM8), Roland D50, Korg Wavestation and M1

Website: http://www.youtube.com/user/DIGITALSCREAMS
DIGITAL SCREAMS
Junior Member
Junior Member
 
Posts: 224
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:26 am
Location: In the Studio.....
Band: Digital Screams

Postby shaft9000 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:45 pm

Bitexion wrote:And Duran Duran are probably a major reason for the JP8's popularity, since so many of their greatest hits are laced in the jupiter.


Hundreds of acts used the J-8 to great effect. DD is just another one of them. Why they get held up as some kind of representative of JP8's on this board is puzzling.
It's not like they innovated anything - they were a good pop band, not much more.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies
User avatar
shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
 
Posts: 2097
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:13 am
Location: VanNuys, CA USA
Real name: Dave
Gear: ZF synchromesh 6-speed manual transmission

PreviousNext

Return to General Synthesizers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Gianni, SSquirrel, Zamise and 5 guests