yamaha cs2x vs. roland sh-201, need some suggestions...

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

yamaha cs2x vs. roland sh-201, need some suggestions...

Postby bigorangexj » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:09 am

I bought a Yamaha CS2X about 8 months ago and play around with it every once in a while. I don't have much time for it and will most likely start when the weather starts getting cold and I am forced to be indoors. Anyway, I went to a local guitar center and was amazed when I sat down in front of a Roland SH-201. Seemed very easy to make some cool sounds and I liked the USB connectivity. My goal is to have something come into my head and be able to play it on the keyboard and have the clip recorded on the computer which I can later add tracks to and try and create a complete composition. I am wondering if I should sell my CS2x and get the SH-201. I like the idea that the cs2x has the digital display with a lot of built in sounds, but there are menus upon submenus and seems pretty complex. I also have a Korg EMX-1 that I will keep and have a few programs like Audacity, Acid Pro 4.0 and Reason. Any suggestions? BTW, I like very heavenly/full rich sounding synth sounds common in trance. I am not big on house, etc.
bigorangexj

Advertisement:

Postby Yoozer » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:26 am

The CS1x had its companion with the AN1x which is like the SH-201, just less knobs. The CS2x is sample-based; you might be missing those sounds because the 201 can't do 'm.

If you want to get the 201, you'll have to get the CS2x "real life" sounds out of Reason one way or another. It's possible, though (with a nice library and NN-XT or NN-19). The SH201 will mostly act as a better Subtractor (and controller). Since Reason can't record audio, you'll have to do that with ACID.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.
Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby crystalmsc » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:50 am

bigorangexj wrote:very easy to make some cool sounds and I liked the USB connectivity. My goal is to have something come into my head and be able to play it on the keyboard and have the clip recorded on the computer which I can later add tracks to and try and create a complete composition.

based on the function, the SH-201 is a good choice for that.
bigorangexj wrote:I like very heavenly/full rich sounding synth sounds common in trance.

but there are some better choices, like the JP-8000 (older but sounded and built/looks better to me) or the virus line which have a much better multitimbrality for your chop up parts. the Virus Kb have a great action keyboard and some great trancey sounds. but those have no USB.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 9 Suite, Push, Ultranova
crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt
Kronos,MS20m,mntrb,Volcas,WD1
NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080
MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex
Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Postby Zamise » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:57 pm

If you had a CS1X I'd say go for it without doubt. The CS2x is a keepable synth tho, not one I'd like to have to get rid of, however if you sat in front of the SH-201 and you like it better and the only way to get it is to sell the CS2x then I'd say go for it. Forget about a JP-8000, the CS2x may be Rom based and the JP-8000 a VA but they seem to cover a lot of similar sounding ground in my book. Only reason to upgrade to a JP-8000 from a CS2X if you must is perhaps for the more durable build quality. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the CS2X is a very underated and unapreciated synth in my book. Its worth more than people are willing to pay for one, and does have some unique features and sounds not all on any other one synth, so for me at least I feel better off keeping it and saving up the little more I'd get for it to put toward anything else I might want. I'd not fault anyone for doing the same or difrent though, but I think I'd personally regret selling mine so I could get an SH-201 instead. Might not be a dumb move though if that was all I had and I really liked the SH-201. If you miss it, you'll probably be able to get another again later.
Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Return to General Synthesizers