Yamaha CS-80 cs80 how much do they go for today?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Postby Mr. Black » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:24 pm

Do you play them? Or are they just exspensive paper weights for you.
Mr. Black

Advertisement:

Re: build frm scratch

Postby GeneralBigbag » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:48 pm

eisbich wrote:ive known cs80s go for under £100 people thinking they are old outdated
organs, someone with skills could build one from bits for nothing, what you may not understand is it costs their TIME not money!

What I've discovered working on DIY stuff is that it is cheaper than buying preassembled stuff, but not as cheap as one would think, for me at least the small orders of high tolerance components weren't cheap by any means, and getting quality pots and sockets...not to mention getting a case made...
virb.com/ookpikk
GeneralBigbag

Postby roboctopus » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:35 pm

Mr. Black wrote:Do you play them? Or are they just exspensive paper weights for you.

Some people just spastically collect things. But over 100 synths and 3 multimoogs? Maybe he has a museum. I hope not, if eisbich wrote pamphlets on his collection they would be unreadable. :twisted:

I think the ol' CS has drifted into the realm of 'for collectors'. They're super expensive to obtain and keep maintained. Unless you just have to have one, they're not practicle at all.
That's the History Eraser Button.
roboctopus

Gear: Juno 60, Moog Little Phatty SE II, Moog Prodigy (dead), Moogerfoogers: MF-101 & 102, Korg ER-1, guitars, banjos, basses, drums

Re: dreaming

Postby Sir Ruff » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:28 am

eisbich wrote:when you own as many synths as i do over100 i dont have to dream!

So if I were to own 100 synths, would I also gain the power of being able to build a modern CS80 for under 1200?
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Postby minime123 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:07 am

What's the going rate for some punctuation?

thanks for that :)
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- Buy / Sell / Trade
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- http://www.123synthland.com (redirects)
minime123

Postby Jack Spider » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:58 pm

I don't approve of the catty comments towards Eisbich or the direction in which this thread is heading and suggest that it ends now, please.

The subject of people collecting instruments has been done to death and turns nasty every time. Enough!

roboctopus wrote:Some people just spastically collect things. But over 100 synths and 3 multimoogs? Maybe he has a museum. I hope not, if eisbich wrote pamphlets on his collection they would be unreadable.

You've just earned yourself a two-week ban for this comment - completely uncalled-for. And by the way, the word is 'practical'.

The rest of you - keep this on-topic or it gets locked. Buyer's Guide is a more laid-back place than General Synths, and I'd like to keep it that way - it would be unfortunate if it were to be spoiled because a few people can't hold their tongue.
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian
Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Postby roboctopus » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:48 pm

I apologize, I was out of line. And I spelled practical wrong, which is embarrassing. Sorry.
That's the History Eraser Button.
roboctopus

Gear: Juno 60, Moog Little Phatty SE II, Moog Prodigy (dead), Moogerfoogers: MF-101 & 102, Korg ER-1, guitars, banjos, basses, drums

Postby Analog Freak » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:09 pm

As crazy as it sounds, I have seen a Yamaha CS-60 sell for $200 less than a year ago. The music shop that had it in thought it was a combo organ, and marked it accordingly. It was in almost perfect condition, and even had the chrome legs that get misplaced so easily. I missed the opportunity to buy it, as it had gotten in a hour earlier and had something like twenty consecutive one-day holds on it (which really should have told the store manager something), but I did get to play it for around 15 minutes. I can see a Yamaha CS-80 going for 100 pounds. I know I've walked by many things that are outside my area of expertise that I thought were worthless and later found out that they were worth a substantial amount of money. Eisbach, how long have you been collecting these instruments? And how do you manage to store or display them all? I mean, your collection rivals that of many museums. It's really too bad that your collection isn't open for viewing (or perhaps it is?) because a collection like that is not a common thing by any stretch of the imagination. Back on topic: I was thinking of buying a CS-80 from a member of this forum, but even though the machine was known to have issues, and the working condition was unknown, he was able to get $3000 for it. That speaks volumes about how the value on these machines only continues to climb. I suppose it's like a 1957 Fender Stratocaster or a one-off Italian race car. Everybody lusts after one, but only a lucky few manage to acquire such a thing. Regardless, the Yamaha CS-80 is far out of my means at this point. Maybe once I get out of school and start making some money.... Well, it doesn't hurt to dream. :D
"All Your Synthesizers Are Belong To Us!" Literally.
Analog Freak

Postby minime123 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:30 pm

i hope nobody objected to my "thanks for that" comment. i meant to say "thanks for the chuckle" cause pricklyrobot made me laugh with that comment. :) as for a collection of 100 synths... is that all ya got? ;) (response not required.... or wanted!) :)
mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- Buy / Sell / Trade
minime123

Postby Jack Spider » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:45 pm

Roboctopus - as you've apologised, the ban is rescinded, but please keep any future comments like that in check.

This applies to everyone else - things can quickly get out of hand, otherwise.
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian
Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Postby hfinn » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:05 am

arpmaniac wrote:The author suggests a price that is a mix of the reliabillity, the sounds and the overall usefullness of a vintage synth compared of what is it in the market today.

This all means really nothing since his views are completely subjective. I don't think a Crumar Spirit should be worth 2,500 but they are fetching that.

I am lucky that I have an 80. I was lucky to know a local person who had one and it was good timing. I was also lucky to get it at a VERY reasonable price. Since then the prices have gone sorta cockamamy on them. Whether or not it is worth the price they go for is also completely subjective for you. To someone an 80 might be worth 8,000. That price for one is not unreasonable either since I've seen several go for around that.

This all being said, the prices are VERY dependent on things like condition. One that needs some work you might find for $2,500-3-something, where as a fully working on in a city might fetch $8000 (since you might not need to ship it)
hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Postby urgetoplay » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:26 am

Eisbich,
Have you posted pictures of your setup? I ,for one, am always interested in seeing the larger setups and how they're organized. People's choices on gear and workflow helps me with my own setup.

As for the CS80, who would have thought that a 300lb behemoth from the 70's could command so much $$$$. :wink:
Resonance in Humans is called Empathy.
urgetoplay

Postby Cycom » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:27 am

Oh man, the CS-80. I hope to one day at the very least just play this monster.

If I had 10,000usd to spend on a synth I'd spend every penny on a CS-80. To the people who love its sound it is priceless.
"We try to encode the world, decoded and recorded on our machines." -Clock DVA
Cycom

Gear: Mac Pro
T.C. Electronic Konnekt 24D
ADAM A7
SCI Prophet VS
Roland Super JX
Logic 8

Postby minime123 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:55 am

personally, i feel the cs80 is highly overrated.
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- Buy / Sell / Trade
minime123

Postby Hossinfeffa » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:08 am

Call me crazy, but if someone was going to trade a CS-80 for one of my synths, I wouldn't do it. I mean, I do like it a lot. Just I get really attached to my rig and would hate letting it go for anything else.
Well fffff.
Hossinfeffa

Gear: C00L !RETRO! @VINTAGE~ STUFF

PreviousNext

Return to General Synthesizers