Yamaha CS-80 cs80 how much do they go for today?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Postby Cycom » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:26 pm

minime123 wrote:personally, i feel the cs80 is highly overrated.

how so?
"We try to encode the world, decoded and recorded on our machines." -Clock DVA
Cycom

Gear: Mac Pro
T.C. Electronic Konnekt 24D
ADAM A7
SCI Prophet VS
Roland Super JX
Logic 8

Advertisement:

Postby hogberto » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:39 pm

minime123 wrote:well, the reason i asked if this book is fiction is because market value is determined by what they sell for on the open market, not on this one authors opinion of what something should be worth.…mini

without doubt, but there is always room for a wee boy to come along and point out that the emperor's wearing no clothes. :wink:

this sounds like quite an interesting re-appraisal by the author of the elements which might dictate a synth's value on the S/H market. rather than a simplistic assumption that 'cs80=$15,000'.

i'm all for constant questioning of S/H synth prices if it makes 'em cheaper. 8)
hogberto

Postby hfinn » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:53 pm

hogberto wrote:
minime123 wrote:well, the reason i asked if this book is fiction is because market value is determined by what they sell for on the open market, not on this one authors opinion of what something should be worth.…mini

without doubt, but there is always room for a wee boy to come along and point out that the emperor's wearing no clothes. :wink:

this sounds like quite an interesting re-appraisal by the author of the elements which might dictate a synth's value on the S/H market. rather than a simplistic assumption that 'cs80=$15,000'.

i'm all for constant questioning of S/H synth prices if it makes 'em cheaper. 8)

But that's being unrealistic. I can't see one instance where prices have gone down on something because someone questioned there price. There are too many factors involved.
hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Postby Syn303 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:00 pm

Cycom wrote:

how so?

the only reason some people would say it's overrated is because of those trademark Vangelis sounds, however you can do the same sounds to a degree on the lesser CS synths like the 40m, 50 & 60.
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |
Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member

Band: Syn303

Postby Solderman » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:15 pm

I was under the impression that the CS-80 is a legend not only because of its timbre, but because of the playing experience and immediacy of controls available. I'd never want to do anything but spend a little time playing it, but that's only because I'm too busy gassing for a much bigger list of gear that's been on that list for much, much longer!

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analogue. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." - Brian Eno
Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: μbrute, Kraftzwerg I, Поливокс(mod), SEM Pro, SH101(mod), TR606(mod), TB303, α Juno, Virus b

Postby OriginalJambo » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:48 pm

It weighs a ton, is a complete bitch to maintain (imagine calibrating one...or the penultimate - recapping one!) and is hardly what you'd call portable.

Otherwise it's a bargain. :P

Don't take this seriously...
OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Check my sig

Postby i_watch_stars » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:27 pm

Syn303 wrote:
Cycom wrote:

how so?

the only reason some people would say it's overrated is because of those trademark Vangelis sounds, however you can do the same sounds to a degree on the lesser CS synths like the 40m, 50 & 60.

People imagine themselves doing those sounds on the CS-80, but what they forget is that it was Vangelis's compositional and keyboard playing ability (exploiting aftertouch, etc) that really set those sounds apart. Lots of synths can do those sounds...I wonder what Vangelis would do if he was behind a Virus TI.

Besides the BladeRunner soundtrack and the VSE demo I haven't heard any original CS-80 demos. If someone wants to share please post up....
JP-8080, Virus B, TG-77, JD-990, D-550, XV-5080, CS1x, Matrix 1000, SE-1, SuperNova II Pro Rack, MKS-50, EMX-1, TX-802, Nord Rack 2X, Korg RADIAS
i_watch_stars

Postby hfinn » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:43 am

i_watch_stars wrote:Lots of synths can do those sounds...I wonder what Vangelis would do if he was behind a Virus TI.

Besides the BladeRunner soundtrack and the VSE demo I haven't heard any original CS-80 demos. If someone wants to share please post up....

Not trying to start something here, but how can you say that lots of synths can do those sounds if you haven't even heard CS-80's enough to even pick them out to the point where you say other than Vangelis you haven't heard it?

I'm sorry, it just bothers me when someone says something like that but has no experience or knowledge to back up what they are saying.
hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby hfinn » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:57 am

i_watch_stars wrote:..but what they forget is that it was Vangelis's compositional and keyboard playing ability (exploiting aftertouch, etc) that really set those sounds apart. Lots of synths can do those sounds.

And also if Vangelis exploiting the (in this case polyphonic) aftertouch really sets these sounds apart how can alot of synths do these sounds if only a small handful even have polyphonic aftertouch?
hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby WDW » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:20 am

I will concur that the CS60 has the same sound cards and, therefore, is capable of the same basic sounds as the CS80. However, as noted above, the CS80's interface and keyboard are a fundamental part of the overall sound character.

I've played a lot of synths with poly-AT, and I can tell you that none feel like the CS80 and none respond like it. None. Most require a lot more pressure than the CS80, and the keys have a different weight.

This is a subject that has been argued many times over the years on VSE. And the outcome has always been that nothing actually plays like nor sounds like the CS80. But, please, feel free to submit your best examples of your facsimiles.

WD
WDW

Postby hfinn » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:28 am

WDW wrote:I will concur that the CS60 has the same sound cards and, therefore, is capable of the same basic sounds as the CS80. However, as noted above, the CS80's interface and keyboard are a fundamental part of the overall sound character.

A CS-60 will only get you half way there. They have the same sound cards, but the CS-80 has the unique ability over the 50/60 which is the layering of patches. A lot of the sounds that make it so unique are made by layering capabilities.

And WD, you are totally correct about the poly-AT and keyboard. No other synth is quite the same.

Here is a CS-80 demo. I played it live with no overdubs (it shows) and all I added was reverb: CS-80
hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby i_watch_stars » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:21 am

hfinn wrote:
i_watch_stars wrote:Lots of synths can do those sounds...I wonder what Vangelis would do if he was behind a Virus TI.

Not trying to start something here, but how can you say that lots of synths can do those sounds if you haven't even heard CS-80's enough to even pick them out to the point where you say other than Vangelis you haven't heard it?

I'm sorry, it just bothers me when someone says something like that but has no experience or knowledge to back up what they are saying.

Calm down.

I said "lots of synths can do those sounds", meaning those sounds that people think of when they think Vangelis; the soaring saw wave brass sound. I wasn't talking about the CS-80 as a whole, as I admit, I have never heard much beyond those specific sounds, which is why I made a request for someone with a CS to post a demo.

But I HAVE heard those specific sounds out of the CS-80, and heard other synths essentially replicate them. Meaning that a proportion of people that GAS over the CS-80 are GASsing for a specific sound that, in my opinion, is somewhat irrelevant to the synth.

Get it?
JP-8080, Virus B, TG-77, JD-990, D-550, XV-5080, CS1x, Matrix 1000, SE-1, SuperNova II Pro Rack, MKS-50, EMX-1, TX-802, Nord Rack 2X, Korg RADIAS
i_watch_stars

Postby WDW » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:02 am

Heath: You are absolutely correct. The CS60 (and 50) lacks the ability to layer the voices. And that makes a big difference in the sound.

I Watch Stars: I've heard some pretty good replications on various synths (e.g., Synthex, Andromeda, JP8000, TI, Wavestation, etc.), but none have sounded like a CS80, when comparing, side-by-side, the original CS80 patch and the replication. Alone they are good. But, when compared, they are different. Other synths may get close, but the subtle nuances make a difference. Some of those famous sounds are unique to the CS80's voice boards and interface.

WD
WDW

Postby BobaFett » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:51 am

To answer the original question:

To whatever it's worth. I paid $1200, two years ago because that's what I thought it was worth.

Someone then bought it on VEMIA last year for $12,000 with MIDI because that what they thought it was worth.

About the CS-60: I've decided to mod two of them and link them via MIDI retrofit to get the voices as the CS-80. The ring modulator is the same as the CS-80 . They cost me $660/both plus the retrofits at $1100: more than my CS-80.

I'm not grateful that the CS-80 is gone from my life but I don't miss it.

And I still have the CS-80 sound if I need it.
BobaFett

Postby nathanscribe » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:43 pm

BobaFett wrote:I paid $1200, two years ago because that's what I thought it was worth.

You were lucky to be able to choose to pay that.

Most of the time, people cannot choose to pay for something what they think it is worth. Shops price things as they see fit, independent sellers price things according to what they think they might get for it, or what they think it is worth, depending on how much they know about the market... on eBay and at other auctions, any buyer who wants, and is able, to pay more than you think it is worth is able to outbid you and take the thing instead.

That, and there aren't that many CS80s about to be able to barter for them.

I'd love a CS80 but hold out no hope at all of ever seeing one for sale that I can afford. The other CS polys would be nice as a make-do. I do keep an eye on charity shops just in case one crops up labelled "funny old organ, £10" :lol:
nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to General Synthesizers