Yamaha CS-80 cs80 how much do they go for today?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Postby hfinn » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:51 pm

BobaFett wrote:To whatever it's worth. I paid $1200, two years ago because that's what I thought it was worth.

Someone then bought it on VEMIA last year for $12,000 with MIDI because that what they thought it was worth.

More likely the person who sold it for $1200 didn't know its worth and the person who bought it for 12,000 did. :)
hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Advertisement:

Postby chamomileshark » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:09 pm

I think about £5,000 in perfect order. The RL Music/ Kent Spong restored ones are that price so I guess that's the upper limit.

Mark Jenkins..I suggest the book was a reprint. He's an electro-musician going back to the 80s, I doubt if he would have got the price that wrong. He also writes for SOS.
chamomileshark

Gear: Wiard 300 Series Modular, Frac Modular, Roland SH2 + SH101 +U20, Yamaha DX9, Microwave 1, Roland SVC-350, Virus B, and too many soft synths

Re: Yamaha CS-80 cs80 how much do they go for today?

Postby dr.blitzen » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:03 pm

I think before the Internet gave us all this info. If you were knowledgeable about synth's you could pick them up quite cheaply from all sorts of places due to sellers not really knowing what they had including the CS80's and 303's. Of course now we know how much people are willing to spend for these classic instruments the prices have gone way up.
For example I got a TQ5 from a junk shop in 1999 for $80 and now I've seen on ebay asking prices up to $250.
So from that in 1999 I would have expected to pay about $1500 dollars for a CS80 but now 15 years on it is probably nearer $5-6000+ mark.
dr.blitzen

Band: dr.blitzen

Postby silikon » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:09 pm

Congratulations; I believe you win the award for resurrecting the most elderly thread ever. March 2008 -> June 2014

:clap:
echo 1 > /dev/awesome
silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Postby ppg_wavecomputer » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:35 pm

This is just to coincide with a sudden drop in CS80´s going rates. There are two up for auction on eBay, and they are surprisingly *cheap*, compared to what they went for a year or two ago.

Still way overpriced IMO but what do I know.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." -- Chuck van Zyl / Star´s End
ppg_wavecomputer

Gear: brain
Band: ['ramp]

Postby el-folie » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:14 pm

ppg_wavecomputer wrote:This is just to coincide with a sudden drop in CS80´s going rates. There are two up for auction on eBay, and they are surprisingly *cheap*, compared to what they went for a year or two ago.

Stephen

I just checked eBay and found nothing... So what you saw were probably frauds and put down?
el-folie

Postby knolan » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:08 am

ppg_wavecomputer wrote:This is just to coincide with a sudden drop in CS80´s going rates. There are two up for auction on eBay, and they are surprisingly *cheap*, compared to what they went for a year or two ago.

Stephen

Why are they overpriced?

I own three mint condition CS80s, so am keen to know what you think they're worth. I'll then tell you what condition I bought them in, and what efforts I've gone to and what I've paid to have them restored to mint condition (hint: one of them had to be shipped three times across two countries before final restoration - with the first shipment by Southebys who wrecked it in transit at a cost of £800 shipping (though they ship grand pianos as well as fine art, shipping a CS80 was too much for them to do correctly); and with the second shipment costing £1900. The third one involved me transporting it personally by car rapped in 7 king sized duvets).

Go on - give it your best shot as to what they're worth. :-)
knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Ned Bouhalassa » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:46 am

What I would like to know is why you need 3 of them?
My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos: nedonanalog
More about me: youshootiscore
Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: 1 Japanese, a young German, an old Brit and 2 fat Americans.

Postby CZ Rider » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:04 am

knolan wrote:Why are they overpriced?
Go on - give it your best shot as to what they're worth. :-)

Let's see? I paid $4750 for mine back in 1979. That was a really good price, as street price back then was $5600. In today's $, allowing for inflation and devaluation of the $, cost me almost $16K for a new one. Always a chuckle when someone states only a collector could afford such an instrument. More than likely anyone who purchased a CS-80 back then was a working musician, and a purchase like that was a real commitment. My commitment was a three year loan to pay for it, but that was the 70's. Still have it though. Don't think I would ever buy another one.
Had that same setup for years. MIDI...Wassat?
CZ Rider

Postby ppg_wavecomputer » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:41 am

Ned Bouhalassa wrote:What I would like to know is why you need 3 of them?

Maybe he´s got three arms, or he doesn´t exactly trust their reliability.

knolan wrote:

Stephen

Why are they overpriced?

I own three mint condition CS80s, so am keen to know what you think they're worth. [...]

Good for you. That would make 783 units elsewhere on this planet.

I think a realistic price for a fragile beast like this which is in short supply of spares, which only a few technicians will touch (if at all), and with all the hassle in mind that owning *and* maintaining one involves, I would say 6,500 to 7,500 Euro maximum.

But what do I know, I´ve only got one CS80 and an humble CS50 (which is a bit tatty...).

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." -- Chuck van Zyl / Star´s End
ppg_wavecomputer

Gear: brain
Band: ['ramp]

Postby knolan » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:10 am

Ned Bouhalassa wrote:What I would like to know is why you need 3 of them?

History - I'm in my 40's and literally one of those 'children of Cosmos / Vangelis / Jarre / Tomita ...'. So in the early 90's you could pick up a broken CS80 for perhaps 500 - 1000 quid. As they arose I bought a few of them, I actually bought 4 - and as I started to earn some money in a day job and even some money though music too - realised I could start to afford to have them serviced. Actually - one of the CS80 I bought from LA (I live in Dublin, Ireland) - arrived in unbelievably good condition - and I paid just $3000 for it. When I sent it over to Kent Spong for a service he had only minor work to do on it, and suggested to me at the time that that CS80 was perhaps in the top 5 CS80s in the world, condition wise. So I got lucky with that.

But the other one mentioned in the post above nearly drove Kent to distraction - he did an amazing job on it - but even shipping it would introduce new problems. It took three trips to London and three restorations / major-services - eventually with me brining it there personally and back wrapped in duvets, to get it stable. I bought that one in 1994 and it has only been working reliably in my facility for two years ! But its in one of my two music rooms, working beautifully as we speak.

So to finally answer your question - I am old enough to have bought CS80s when they were in ragged order in the 90's, and spent the past decade or two having them restored. So as and when they'd crop up I'd nab them, in the hope that if I bought a few I'd at least have one good one, and thankfully Kent Spong and Richard Lawson are so good at what they do that after all this time I find myself owning three that are working perfectly (though the last of them is in London and I drive to Kent this autumn to collect it!).

So regarding the price - for any given perfectly working CS80, I assure you, there is a long and expensive story behind it. They require years of nursemaiding back to health - and though RL and KSR charge hefty prices for a fully serviced one, I can assure you, with 100% honesty, that with the amount of effort they put into each of my CS80s, I feel they have been paid a mere fraction of what they deserve; and far FAR less, per hour, than any other standard service in any other walk of life.

At this stage there are perhaps 500 - 800 working CS80s in the world. Each originally cost (in today's terms) about £30,000 when they were released. So if they cost well above £10,000, I can assure you, they are not overly priced. For my most troublesome CS80 (CS80-1 as it's know to me, Kent and Richard) I've spent in excess of £4000 in shipping alone to have it serviced back to full health).

I realise this all reads a bit OTT, but I didn't start out intending all of this - it has just become a labour of love over the years - I earnestly want a CS80 for composing, for pragmatic reasons, and not for collecting reasons, but these instruments need essentially a life long commitment. I've had dreams, and nightmares, about these things. So pricing them is always going to be tricky, and I ask you to bare that in mind when you see them up for sale - I can assure you that many if not most owners will have similar stories (or else their CS80 is not as stable as they make out or as it may appear and you'll have to get work done on it post sale !).

@CZ Rider - that;s a stunning, classic, setup. And it demonstrates something that isn't widely thought about regarding CS80's. That is - it's so big and bulky, with such a good keyboard and set or performance controllers, that you feel you are 'pulling up' to a real musical instrument as you sit at it - like pulling up to a Fender Rhodes, a Piano or a Hammond B3. Yamaha were thinking 'musical instrument' and not 'synthesizer'. Sitting at a JP8, OBXA and so on is great - but it's a different type of experience sitting at a CS80. You pull up to it, get comfortable, and explore the permanence of that performance environment. It's one of the reasons why so much of Vangelis' music on CS80 is so substantial - it's associated with the way he was sitting, playing and performing - very similar to the way you feel sitting at a piano. They literally do not build them like that any more (perhaps the Waldorf Wave and Schmidt are similar in that experience).

Kevin.
knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Ned Bouhalassa » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:55 pm

Thanks for the fascinating answer, much appreciated. =D>
My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos: nedonanalog
More about me: youshootiscore
Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: 1 Japanese, a young German, an old Brit and 2 fat Americans.

Postby madtheory » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:13 pm

Great post. I think I understand some of that feeling you speak of Kevin. When I finally got a weighted action controller 8 years ago, most of my synths got better.

But now you've made me want a CS80. Damn you ;)
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Fabreeze, Buck Owens Moog, Korg Warlock 9000, Roland Sultan of Brunei, Moog Ribald Cat.
Band: madtheory

Postby Bitexion » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:17 pm

I remember reading somewhere that a school had a fully working CS-80 in their music room, but student's weren't allowed to touch the settings and it was set to a harpsichord patch all the time. What a waste.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Postby knolan » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:33 pm

Painful !

Now - what school was that ?? Just curious :-)

I betcha there are dozens of CS80s and CS60s sitting in homes and schools like that across the globe. I remember in the late 80's or early 90's seeing a classified ad in an Irish newspaper something like: "Yamaha CS60 Home Organ for sale, £120". By the time I rang them - it was sold :x
knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

PreviousNext

Return to General Synthesizers