Yamaha CS-80 cs80 how much do they go for today?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Re: Yamaha CS-80 cs80 how much do they go for today?

Postby Bitexion » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:49 pm

Surely those 5-600 working CS-80's are located somewhere. I found out some years ago that my aunt's neighbor gave away a complete Hammond B3 w/leslie speakers to a local church instead of giving it to me :P That was painful.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Biiig Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Postby dr.blitzen » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:19 pm

silikon wrote:Congratulations; I believe you win the award for resurrecting the most elderly thread ever. March 2008 -> June 2014

:clap:

Cheers! :D

I think even $16000 isn't much for a classic synth these days when you consider the prices of a cars and even classic arcade machines. Even the enthusiasts restore & service them which costs a lot to keep them in top condition.
dr.blitzen

Band: dr.blitzen

Postby octopusserv » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:46 pm

I can tell you all from my experience that the CS80 is probably one of the best synths ever made. Now that sounds Obvious to some people but the actual fact of the matter is, how many people have actually had their hands on one and played about with one for an hr or two. Answer not many, simply because they are not available to play. So! is there any need to comment until you have actually played one, NO!! I have saved up for a long time and actually bought one. It will sit in my music room with the rest of my gear polished, played, services and pampered until the day I have arthritis in my figures and I am forced to sell. That's how good the CS80 is. Its probably the most expensive Synth of my collection to date and the reason for waiting so long is the fact that Jupiter 8's and memorymoogs's were cheaper. If you want to know what is a wast of money and a complete overvalued synth, its the VCS3, AKS, a load of boxy noise from an inverter that married in to money and drained his wife's fortune only to go Bankrupt. So! the next time anyone sells a CS80 take my word for it BUY IT!!
octopusserv

Postby bochelli » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:41 pm

They are not worth the money they go for the Bladerunner sound can be reproduced on almost anything thesedays I bought one off here for £500 needing work, I know someone who sold one with all extras for £500 and I know someone who bought one for £100, if you really want one then its your choice.
yamoto773
bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Postby ppg_wavecomputer » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:24 am

octopusserv wrote: [...] If you want to know what is a wast of money and a complete overvalued synth, its the VCS3, AKS, [...]

There is a VCS-3 for sale on eBay at the moment, and I do think the price is a little steep indeed (23,000 US$).

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." -- Chuck van Zyl / Star´s End
ppg_wavecomputer

Gear: brain
Band: ['ramp]

Postby Hybrid88 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:09 am

bochelli wrote:They are not worth the money they go for the Bladerunner sound can be reproduced on almost anything thesedays I bought one off here for £500 needing work, I know someone who sold one with all extras for £500 and I know someone who bought one for £100, if you really want one then its your choice.

When are we talking about here? Because I don't see deals like that ever.

I've seen you say this on the forum multiple times and to be honest It's a bit misleading implying people can buy a CS-80 for $500 just because someone was lucky enough to get a good deal on one once, I highly doubt you'd find one for that now no matter how long you wait. Don't let a few peoples good fortune skew your perspective, it's a once in a lifetime occurrence if you're lucky and you know it.
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff.

Postby knolan » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:19 am

bochelli wrote:They are not worth the money they go for the Bladerunner sound can be reproduced on almost anything thesedays I bought one off here for £500 needing work, I know someone who sold one with all extras for £500 and I know someone who bought one for £100, if you really want one then its your choice.

Out of curiosity, what's the "Bladerunner sound"?

And - someone bought a CS80 for £100? Really? When individual chips go for about that, and single M boards sell for hundreds. You really saw a CS80 go for £100 very recently? Don't suppose you bookmarked the ebay auction and could post it here to let us see? Because I've followed every CS80 on ebay for over 10 years across the US, UK, France, Germany, Spain, Australia, Canada and Japan and haven't seen it. Would love the details on that sale if you don't mind backing up your claim.
knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby ppg_wavecomputer » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:36 am

knolan wrote: [...] Out of curiosity, what's the "Bladerunner sound"? [...]

Brass 1 and 2, plus Lexicon 224 reverb tail and Roland Dimension D.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." -- Chuck van Zyl / Star´s End
ppg_wavecomputer

Postby Bitexion » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:49 pm

Also heavy use of an expression pedal to control volume. Vangelis used pedals all the time.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Biiig Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Postby knolan » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:37 pm

ppg_wavecomputer wrote:
knolan wrote: [...] Out of curiosity, what's the "Bladerunner sound"? [...]

Brass 1 and 2, plus Lexicon 224 reverb tail and Roland Dimension D.

Stephen

That's the first few seconds of the film only. There's no Dimension D on that part (used on the VP330 Strings moments later admittedly) - and - THE critical ingredient you haven't mentioned is the polyphonic aftertouch that allows for all of the realtime expression in each note (the Ribbon Controller is equally important).

Admittedly a Roli Seaboard and Arturia CS80V will get you very close - but that's not a cheap option either.
knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby bochelli » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:17 pm

knolan wrote:

Out of curiosity, what's the "Bladerunner sound"?

And - someone bought a CS80 for £100? Really? When individual chips go for about that, and single M boards sell for hundreds. You really saw a CS80 go for £100 very recently? Don't suppose you bookmarked the ebay auction and could post it here to let us see? Because I've followed every CS80 on ebay for over 10 years across the US, UK, France, Germany, Spain, Australia, Canada and Japan and haven't seen it. Would love the details on that sale if you don't mind backing up your claim.

Bladerunner sound i.e. open credits that sorted, I once owned a cs80 I sold it to Keane some years ago I bought it for about £500 off here a guy in Canada I still have the import papers somewhere I have a image of it with myself taken at Synthrestore Bedford, prior was in my hallway for a few years , I know someone who bought a cs80 for £100 many years ago working he had to buy also many organs in the deal, they are only machines nothing more the guy in Canada was called sange sharma I think.
yamoto773
bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby bochelli » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:23 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:

When are we talking about here? Because I don't see deals like that ever.

I've seen you say this on the forum multiple times and to be honest It's a bit misleading implying people can buy a CS-80 for $500 just because someone was lucky enough to get a good deal on one once, I highly doubt you'd find one for that now no matter how long you wait. Don't let a few peoples good fortune skew your perspective, it's a once in a lifetime occurrence if you're lucky and you know it.

lets put it this way despite a invention called a mobile phone people still insist in wanting to send endless emails to enquire about gear for sale, a phone call direct will bypass that nonsense and speed things up, chalk it up to on the case have cash and can travel im single no kids so do what I like the 3 great deals I still have a quadra needing work £200, working minimoog £850, memorymoog all ok £1100, all bought very quickly and using phone bought some years ago, I friend of mine bought a cased 203a polymoog from a WMC for peanuts £30 or so .
yamoto773
bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby knolan » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:21 pm

Ok - but we've all had great, one off deals (I got a new VL1, in 1994, for £800, and a shop demo CS40M for £250).

So for sure - there are deals that pop up on rare occasions - I remember an ad in an Irish classified ads newspaper - where the owner advertised something along the lines (exact price I've forgotten but in the ball park - and only about 10 -12 years ago): Yamaha home organ, model CS60, perfect condition, £100 (could have been as high as £200 - can't quite remember - but it was low - very, v e r y LOW )

By the time I rang - it had been sold :-(

( I suspect I was one of about 20 screaming "ahhhhhhh!!!" - and one lucky new owner with a grin so wide I'm sure it made their year :-) )
knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby bochelli » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:50 pm

I learned one thing about buying synthesizers going cheap its usually one of three reasons

its a scam
its something else seller error
its the real mc coy.

the last one worked for me I forgot I bought and still own a Jp8 a with dcb interface bought for £1025.

ive bought synths from internal tip offs and word of mouth not so much now but it still does happen, ive owned a cs80 I imported it I will have somewhere 2 clasps from the top lid, if I encounter another one I will buy it and put into v long term storage. you often find when it comes to getting together instant cash its not always easy, in most cases my purchases have been done and collected on 1 phone call and the same day, so no offence to anyone quit emailing and call them to h**l what the cost is.
yamoto773
bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby ppg_wavecomputer » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:47 am

My CS80 was about to be taken to the landfill when its original owner was preparing to relocate to Down Under. That was in 2000.

But seriously, this rarely happens these days -- the last thing I heard about was this Elka Synthex that had been sitting in an attic for twenty years, in its original box, which was given to a fellow musician about a year ago (it's legit).

For free.

Stephen
ppg_wavecomputer

PreviousNext

Return to General Synthesizers