Jupiter-8 and ARP Quadra

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Jupiter-8 and ARP Quadra

Postby drkam6 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:23 am

Did you notice that they look rather similar...?

Was Roland getting inspired on the Quadra's looks when they designed the JP-8?
drkam6

Advertisement:

Postby manticore101 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:58 am

I asked the exact same question a few months ago in some "Best looking keyboard" tread here at this forum. I am pretty convinced that the Roland staff was very inspired by the ARP Quadra futuristic look. The same sleek design, they are both very colourful and we see the same orange block lettering on the panel layout. Apart from the colouring coding of the program buttons, I will say that Rolands design for JP-8 was a departure from its predecessor (JP-4).
Roland Juno-60, SH-2, SH-101, Juno 106, S-330, MKS-20, JV-2080, Moog Prodigy, Solina String Ensemble, Yamaha DX-7, EX-5, P-250, Cheetah MS-6, Novation Superbasstation, AKAI S-3000CD, Korg CX-3, Alesis ION.
manticore101

Postby KB Crockett » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:02 am

My two favourite synths. :D

I'd never considered how similar they look until I read that thread a few months back. But now, it does seem pretty obvious where the JP got its good looks from!

I prefer the aluminium end panels of the JP, but the Quadra's front panel is a bit more striking and 'in your face'. Overall, I think of the JP8's looks as refined and classy, but the Quadra is somehow more 'impressive'. The Quadra can make a bigger noise too, but that's another conversation.
KB Crockett

Postby Yoozer » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:59 pm

Better question - is it a good idea to take inspiration from something that was at the time a company going under?
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.
Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby cornutt » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:16 pm

Yoozer wrote:Better question - is it a good idea to take inspiration from something that was at the time a company going under?

I don't think that was public knowledge at the time, though. The Quadra was released in '78, was it not? It wasn't until 1980, when it became obvious that the Avatar was not selling, that everyone realized that ARP was about to take a bath.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!
cornutt

Gear: 6th

Postby veer chasm » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:38 am

I love both those synths...but man, those Arps are asking to get their keys broken off! They really hang from the chassis. Beautiful synths though. It's too bad Roland downplayed the color scheme on the Jupiter 6.
Past&Present: Moog LP2 SE, Akai AX60, Nord Lead 2X/Rack, Roland Juno 106/JX8P/JX3P/Jupiter 6/Juno 60/HS60/D50, Alesis Ion/MMT8/SR18, Korg DS10
Oberheim Matrix 6R/OB8, Yamaha TG33/PF10, Ensoniq ASR10, Waldorf MicroQ, Peavey DPM SP/SX, Kurzweil k2000S
veer chasm

Return to General Synthesizers