Roland ProMars & Korg Sigma - - Super Rare or What!?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Postby Solderman » Fri May 02, 2008 8:52 pm

Micke wrote:Guess the bass synth :?:

While you're at it, try to see if you can figure out what was used for the weird melody sound that kicks in at the 0:45 mark :)

Micke

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_the_T ... _of_Uranus
Bass synth is Promars, naturally. Was the other the System 100?

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analogue. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." - Brian Eno
Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: μbrute, Kraftzwerg v1, CS15(mod), Поливокс(mod), SEM Pro, SH101(mod), TR606(mod), ESQ1, Virus b

Advertisement:

Postby Micke » Fri May 02, 2008 9:37 pm

Yes of course, it's the ProMars - played by Andy Pask. It's also the source for the lead synth on "Einstein A Go Go" (controlled by a Lyricon wind synthesizer driver)

As for the weird sounding lead synth; nope, it ain't the System 100M (btw, Burgess used a 100M not a system 100).
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979
Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby jupiter8 » Fri May 02, 2008 9:54 pm

By pure coincidence there's a ProMars for sale here in Sweden right now.
http://www.vendolin.com/Annonce_Detail. ... id=5349051
Can't remember seeing one since the early 90ies though that could have been a JP4.
jupiter8

Postby tom Cadillac » Sat May 03, 2008 1:35 pm

The Sigma was one of the first synths i bought, and when i knew next to nothing. It must be one of the wierdest designs there is and at the time I probably thought, "ah cool! so this is what a synth is!"

I must confess it doesn't get a great deal of use these days and I even thought of selling it, but found a beautiful gltch, which seemed musically quite useful.

The thing I like best about it is that its performance orientated. You can mess with the two joy sticks at once and the assignable aftertouch is good. Its a good synth to play drunk as its so wild. But I can't really rave about the sound. I much prefer the Delta soundwise.
"On the following day , the sorcery undespairingly continued: I changed my series, chose other sequences, cut other lengths, spliced different progressions, and hoped afresh for a miracle in sound." (Stockhausen)
tom Cadillac

Gear: FS1R, EPS, JP8000, Kaos pad, Ineko, SP606, Mopho, MP7 and so on....
Band: Bipolarbass

Postby PBIT » Tue May 06, 2008 5:58 am

Actually I've got 2 of those Sigmas but only one is working. The broken one is nowadays used as a source for spare parts to my MS-synthesizers. The design on the inside resembles the MS-20 but the outside is much more performanceorientated. But I took the keyboard from the broken one and put in a MS-20 - that's a really nice mod! The keys that's left I'm currently selling on german eBay.

The ProMars I've been looking for a while but it always seem to end up quite expensive. :(
PBIT

Previous

Return to General Synthesizers