What it costs to buy a working Rhodes Chroma Polaris

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Postby Stab Frenzy » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:04 pm

MrFrodo wrote:
waveterm wrote:+1

What you really should do is ask for a refund from the seller.

WT

Or maybe, a refund and a refusal to return the instrument.

Yes, fraud is a good idea...
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Advertisement:

Postby MrFrodo » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:36 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
MrFrodo wrote:
waveterm wrote:+1

What you really should do is ask for a refund from the seller.

WT

Or maybe, a refund and a refusal to return the instrument.

Yes, fraud is a good idea...

that was a kneejerk joke. I mean, what's the likelihood that he'd get all his money back, even if he does return the Polaris?
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon
MrFrodo
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: What it costs to buy a working Rhodes Chroma Polaris

Postby bluedad » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:51 am

pricklyrobot wrote:
justinvm wrote:For anyone else wanting to do this, the membrane switches should be 100% salvageable, theres a method of soldering cables to the ribbon which restores conductivity.

So this can be done? Good to know. I've seen Polaris's come up for sale at reasonable prices a few times but never went after one due to the fear of failing membranes and the lack of replacements.

Perhaps you could put together a membrane repair tutorial and post it somewhere. After you've had a nice long break playing your finally functional instrument, that is. :wink:

I would be so very interested in this; I've got a Polaris tucked away in the closet.
bluedad

Gear: Yamaha Motif ES rack/DX7//TG77/SY77/AN1X/MM08 MicrowaveXT/ Korg DW8000/M3r/ Ensoniq ESQ-1 /Mirage Rack/ Nord Micro DSI Mopho Roland Juno 106/D550
Band: Split Second

Postby justinvm » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:09 am

Sorry for the delayed reply guys. Finding myself getting kicked out of home now for unrelated reasons.

The seller has since kindly offered to contribute $150 US to the repairs. He has been quite 'concerned' during the whole experience. He seems to be quite a genuine person. That's more than I would have ever expected from a seller. So I'm pretty content with that.

I think the problem with this whole experience has been the fact that I chose to purchase vintage gear. I think if I had my time all over again I would have bought analog modern equivalents of all the vintage analog I own.

Vintage just wasn't built to last. For example: I own a tr-909 which I have repaired over 15 broken traces on the circuit board. Last week I opened the unit up to install the version 4 eprom. Finished the repair successfully screwed the unit together and the snare drum was no longer working. Opened it up again to find 2 more broken traces on the voicing board.
My synth's are degrading day by day :(. In the case of the 909 it's not the circuit components, it's the actual pcb!!!

The chroma polaris:

Here is the membrane repair I followed:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=1752179

Bob Weigal also has an alternative method. I suggest contacting him before attempting anything. If i lived in the USA I would have sent the panels to him for repair. He has had allot of experience with the membranes and knows the exact kind of tension and pressure that can be applied before these things break (They are extremely brittle, and are unforgiving when stressed even slightly.)

Also for anyone considering doing the repair. When removing the top cover be extremely careful to move right hand side before left. The reason for this is that there are 2 membrane ribbons (on the right side) that can actually rub against the case when removing the lid, adding further damage.

- J
justinvm

Postby bluedad » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:57 pm

justinvm wrote:Sorry for the delayed reply guys. Finding myself getting kicked out of home now for unrelated reasons.

wow, sorry to hear about that. hope all works out.
The seller has since kindly offered to contribute $150 US to the repairs. He has been quite 'concerned' during the whole experience. He seems to be quite a genuine person. That's more than I would have ever expected from a seller. So I'm pretty content with that.

yes, there really are a few good sellers. I bought a 106 (before I was aware of the chip problem) and the seller refunded $150.

This has been an interesting thread, and thanks for the link to the thread at HC. I know some good techs around town here and perhaps armed with this info there may be hope.
bluedad

Gear: Yamaha Motif ES rack/DX7//TG77/SY77/AN1X/MM08 MicrowaveXT/ Korg DW8000/M3r/ Ensoniq ESQ-1 /Mirage Rack/ Nord Micro DSI Mopho Roland Juno 106/D550
Band: Split Second

Previous

Return to General Synthesizers