How and why does the Quasimidi Sirius sound so good?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

How and why does the Quasimidi Sirius sound so good?

Postby maindeglorie » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:46 am

Seriously, I have played a plethora of digital synths in my day, but every time I hear a demo of this thing... I am absolutely amazed. It's thick, sounds huge, blows most VA's away. Just wow.

And if you haven't... watch Jexus' You Tube demos of it. Granted he can make anything sound sick, the Sirius sounds HUGE.
maindeglorie

Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Advertisement:

Re: How and why does the Quasimidi Sirius sound so good?

Postby stikygum » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:04 am

What you say about Jexus is true and what you say about the Sirius is true also. It definitely has balls. Take a look at the Polymorph by sacrificing the drums and vocoder and you get a 3rd Oscillator. I just love the Polymorph. I had the Sirius too and love the beefy raw sound they produce. I see you have a nice collection of analogs as do I, so it's definitely proof positive the Quasimidi has extra 'oomph' other VAs don't. Same guy is now making the Spectralis.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse
stikygum

Postby maindeglorie » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:16 am

THAT'S who makes the Spectralis??? Neat, didn't know that!
maindeglorie

Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Postby ThinkTanx » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:52 am

maindeglorie wrote:Seriously, I have played a plethora of digital synths in my day, but every time I hear a demo of this thing... I am absolutely amazed. It's thick, sounds huge, blows most VA's away. Just wow.

And if you haven't... watch Jexus' You Tube demos of it. Granted he can make anything sound sick, the Sirius sounds HUGE.

That's my favorite Jexus demo. It does sound amazing. The Sirius has been hovering around my GAS list for a long time, just never pulled the trigger. Actually, it seems like one of those synths I'll probably always admire from a distance. Maybe it's because it covers similar ground as the Monomachine (sounds a bit different, but similar specs), which is going nowhere for me.
ThinkTanx

Gear: Elektron MnM SFX-6, MD UW MkII * Virus TI * Moog Voyager S.E. * Lemur * Ableton, FM8, Massive, FAW Circle * Distressors, Great River * Genelec 8050A

Postby Soundwave » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:25 pm

The Quasimidi filters are still one of the best digital filters I've ever come across even by today's standards, the overdrive is very harmonically rich without sounding raspy and makes anything sound dirty in a good way.

Not the most hi-fi of filters but easily holds it's own against real analogues and has a hard tone I haven't heard from any VST. An ER-1 sounded amazing thru the 309's filter in when I had one.
Soundwave

Postby Hugo76 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:23 am

It does sound fantastic. Can't believe I didn't buy a Quasimidi or similar when I was to buy my first synth - I settled on a Yamaha cs6x - in its own a nice synth, but miles away from the hands-on sound sculpting of the VA synths. Damn! :(
Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby ThinkTanx » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:38 am

The Sirius is actually a rompler, right? I could be wrong about that.
ThinkTanx

Gear: Elektron MnM SFX-6, MD UW MkII * Virus TI * Moog Voyager S.E. * Lemur * Ableton, FM8, Massive, FAW Circle * Distressors, Great River * Genelec 8050A

Postby retrosounds » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:30 am

ThinkTanx wrote:The Sirius is actually a rompler, right? I could be wrong about that.

You're on the right track, it has sampled waveforms, but i think it also has an overdriven analog filter in the oscillator section.
Although it could just be DSP.
"Imagination is priceless"

"I bless the rains down in Africa"
retrosounds

Band: RetroSounds

Postby Zamise » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:22 am

I'm guessing its the LFOs? I know Jörg knows LFOs. I don't know the Sirius tho. One thing I've learned over the years, is that it doesn't really matter as much as people make it to be whether a synth's OSCs are digital, analog, or samp bassed, give them some great LFOing capabilities and you'll wind up with pure awesomeness, in my opinion.
Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Postby Gianni » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:04 pm

retrosounds wrote:
ThinkTanx wrote:The Sirius is actually a rompler, right? I could be wrong about that.

You're on the right track, it has sampled waveforms, but i think it also has an overdriven analog filter in the oscillator section.
Although it could just be DSP.

I've heard that before. Since I don't know anybody with a Sirius, I tried looking it up but it the filter was never described as analog. So is it really? Does it contain an analog filter?
Gianni

Postby Computer Controlled » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:19 pm

Quasimidi made great synths. The 309 is fantastic, so it stands to reason that the Sirius is even better =o]
Synths:
@Juno-1 . x0xb0x . Arturia Minibrute . Octatrack . MonoMachine mkII . Monotribe . Monotron . Monotron Delay
Drum Machines:
Machinedrum UW mkI . ProCussion
Computer Controlled

Gear: SH-101, TB-303, TR-707, R-70, x0xb0x, SEM, FR XS, Oberkorn v3, Eurorack Modular, Monotribe, Monotron, UltraNova, Emu Procussion.
Band: Computer Controlled

Postby stikygum » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:06 am

The filters on all Quasimidi gear are all digital, but like has been said, some of the best VA filters I've heard. Analog type filters do not = analog. A lot of companies mislead these days saying they have analog filters on their digital synths. The should be forced to say analog modeled filters. Anyways, the Quasimidi have sampled waveforms, many different tyrpes of sine, tri, pulse, saw, square along with actual sampled waveforms. My Polymorph has many sampled waves that I see the new Spectralis has (at least the names of the waveforms are the same); I'm sure the Spectralis has better quality, but I've heard some of it's waves and they are pretty similar to Quasimidi (but of course I'm guessing the Spectralis has much more and newer ones).

I have the Quasar with the expansions too and I love that thing. Instant techno. You can't edit a whole lot, but it has MASS synthesis, which includes RM, Additive, VA, rompler.... I've owned all the Quasimidi gear at one time or the other, except the Cyber 6 (a controller) and the Technox (which is the same as the Quasar/Raven almost). I loved that company and still do.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse
stikygum

Postby Old Iron Giant » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:09 am

simple.. Because KMFDM uses it :lol:

I kidd., I kidd
Old Iron Giant

Gear: Virus Ti2, Indig2, EmuXL7, Microkorg.
Band: KHz+

Postby bigbadbarns » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:44 am

I loved my Sirius, but I ended up getting rid of it because:

1. It was pretty limited as far as sound editing goes;

2. I'm not sure if it was just mine, but the sound quality wasn't that great. It was kind of... I don't know how to describe it. Lo Fi compared to other, more advanced VAs I was looking at at the time (Alesis Ion, Novation KS4). Now that's exactly why I wish I'd kept it.
bigbadbarns

Postby RASP » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:42 am

Weird. I was happy as hell the day I sold my Quasimidi Sirius. I have no idea why people think it sounds good. Some ov the waveforms were nice and all but other than that, it just sounded plasticky to my ears. If you check out the frequency response with the filter wide open, it only goes up to about 15kHz before you get an abrupt drop.
RASP

Band: RASP

Next

Return to General Synthesizers