What is the stupidest accident you've had with you gear?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

What is the stupidest accident you've had with you gear?

Postby D-Collector » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:20 pm

Personally I haven't had any major stupid mishaps with my gear (yet), other than that I managed to drop the Akai S-2000 in the floor a couple of times when I had it -without any perceivable damage to it. And I have banged my head in various keyboards more than once while toiling with power cords and such. I have a friend though that has a lot of computer stuff, and a habit of spilling various beverages over his things. So what are the stupidest mistakes / accidents you have had in your life with electronic musical equipment? :D
D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: What is the stupidest accident you've had with you gear?

Postby nathanscribe » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:37 pm

While moving, I swung round in a doorway with a Juno (6 or 60, can't recall). The Juno came out of it better than the plaster on the wall.

I was in a rush to fix a switch on my CS-15, so (very foolishly) opened it up on the bed - and kept dropping washers etc due to the unstable surface - and then I dropped the hinged panel, and in my rush to grab it, I dropped the soldering iron on the bed, didn't realise it was still on, and burnt a big hole in the best covers... And then I broke a pot while putting it all back together. What a d**k. Lesson learned.
nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Postby tekkentool » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:42 pm

nathanscribe wrote:While moving, I swung round in a doorway with a Juno (6 or 60, can't recall). The Juno came out of it better than the plaster on the wall.

I was in a rush to fix a switch on my CS-15, so (very foolishly) opened it up on the bed - and kept dropping washers etc due to the unstable surface - and then I dropped the hinged panel, and in my rush to grab it, I dropped the soldering iron on the bed, didn't realise it was still on, and burnt a big hole in the best covers... And then I broke a pot while putting it all back together. What a d**k. Lesson learned.

ouch man, ouch!
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Postby marland » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:00 pm

I spilled a large Vodka and Coke into a friends JX-3P many years ago - a few days in the airing cupboard dried it out nicely though.
marland

Gear: microKORGs, miniKORG 700s, K Station, Bass Station II, Nova, Ultranova, SH-201, JV-1010, CS-5, DX7IID, TX802, HS-2/E, VZ-1, FZ-1

Postby tekkentool » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:20 pm

marland wrote:I spilled a large Vodka and Coke into a friends JX-3P many years ago - a few days in the airing cupboard dried it out nicely though.

you mean ex-friend. 8)
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Postby pflosi » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:53 pm

my roommate spilled beer on my mfb 503 once. fortunately for him, it didnt do anything to it...

i spilled beer on the keyboard of my laptop once. backlighting didnt work afterwards, but thats all...

cigarette ash on my synths - must have happened a lot...

remember banging my roommates triton on the floor after a gig... guess we're even now with the 503 spilling ;)

nothing really bad though
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Postby Sexor » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:09 pm

I dropped a CS-80 from a 5th floor balcony. It crushed a car to smithereens. The CS was fine however.
Monkey business since 2007!
Sexor

Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Postby pflosi » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:18 pm

:lol:
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Postby blanik » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:26 pm

Sexor wrote:I dropped a CS-80 from a 5th floor balcony. It crushed a car to smithereens. The CS was fine however.

this one takes the prize!! :lol:
blanik

Postby LucB » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:59 pm

Busted a vintage combo amp while making my first attempts at playing my CS-5 with low cutoff freq, a little EG, and way too much resonance for comfort. The blast kinda startled me, making the my beer fall from the combo, right onto my pedalboard. Luckyly i only had a few shitty stompboxes on it at the moment, my DOD FX Stereo Flanger has never been working the same again.
LucB
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Yamaha SK-20
Yamaha CS-15D
Crumar Organizer 2
Eko K2 + FM4 + Rotomachine
Band: Mountains Unfold

Postby maindeglorie » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:24 pm

Tore two keys out of my ARP Omni II with the corner of my Prophet 5 when I was moving it. The Prophet is fine.
maindeglorie

Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Postby Solderman » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:25 pm

Spilled a beer into my Kurzweil K2vx keyboard. It cleaned up rather nicely, though.

Stupidest: Poking around an SCI Pro~One circuit board, with power on while using large alligator clips in desperation to try and figure out why the f**k the filter had stopped self-oscillating the previous day. I shorted something at one point, and the sound went dead.
Turns out that short took out the VCF, the VCA and an envelope generator chip. I don't use large clips while testing voltages anymore. :oops:

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analogue. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." - Brian Eno
Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: KARP Oddy, SEM Pro, SH-101(mod), Kraftzwerg I w/MF101, CS-15(mod), µBrute, TR606(mod), TB303, α Juno 1, Поливокс(mod), Virus b

Postby TrondC » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:32 pm

I once trusted the woman working at my post office that my CR-68 didn't need the additional shipping protection I suggested. it goes without saying it arrived badly damaged (circuit board broken in half I think?)

#-o
TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Postby Gianni » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:40 pm

I've never drunk anything near any synthesizer, but during the time I used a laptop, I was doing a backup of my patches at home before leaving and someone called, when I reached for the phone, I spilled beer all over the keyboard and speakers, which then filtered to beneath the keys and was uncleanable.

Amazingly the next day it was OK. :D
Gianni

Postby HH » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:47 pm

ehm ... found a sneeze on a nord lead ... thought it was the cat's "deed" ... beat the s**t out of it .... found out that it was my unlce ... damn, poor cat :)

Once had the MS20 fallen from the top tier on MS2000, broke one key on 2000
Last edited by HH on Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HH

Next

Return to General Synthesizers