Yamaha CS15 gate question

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Yamaha CS15 gate question

Postby haydenvan » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:47 pm

Ok. So I know the cs15 is hz/v and the trigger isn't the normal v-trigger. I always thought it was s-trigger. But I've been doing some reading and finding out it is something different, like a positive to negative trigger. Does that mean that I couldn't use something like the Korg MS-02 to convert positive triggers from my roland csq to negative triggers to control the cs15 and visa-versa?

Thanks.
haydenvan

Gear: Roland SH-101, CSQ-600, Korg KR-55, Ensoniq SQ80, Akai MPC1000

Advertisement:

Re: Yamaha CS15 gate question

Postby nathanscribe » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:43 pm

I use my CS-15 with a Kenton Pro-Solo II. The Kenton puts out an S-trig gate that has configurable pull-up - that is, 'off' can be between 5 and 15 volts, whereas 'on' is 0V. This gives a 'best-fit' range suitable for numerous devices. It works fine with the CS-15.

You're right about the CS gate being positive/negative though: off is +3, on is -7 volts. I had to modify one interface to drive my CS-5 because grounding it didn't quite work. The CS15 uses the same basic envelope circuit but it's triggered slightly differently, so the ground method works.

In other words, the Korg might work.
nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Return to General Synthesizers