Yamaha cs60 - what do people think

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Re: Yamaha cs60 - what do people think

Postby nuromantix » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:40 am

I love the CS60, made quite a few tracks with one, the aftertouch and ribbon controller are both very cool, very responsive to play, the sound is nice especially if you add some spring reverb or analogue delay :-)

Never used an 80 so I couldn't make a comparison.
nuromantix

Advertisement:

Postby shaft9000 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:09 am

out of all the vintage polys, the only ones I have any desire to take on anymore are the Jupiter-4 and CS-60.
the Japanese make some reliable stuff...
When I played a CS-80 many many moons ago it sparked my GAS and has never subsided.
Should've bought one ten years ago but the sale just hasn't clicked yet - usually due to seller's unwillingness to ship the bugger, and of course prices have gone through the roof 3x over in recent years.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies
shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: 'ho

Postby Automatic Gainsay » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:13 am

It is SO weird how synth prices change... but more strange than synth prices are the perception of synths.
It wasn't that many years ago... five or so... that CS-50s (and 60s) were regarded as inadequate and ridiculous because of their limited polyphony and organ-like presets.
I bought one of them on eBay for under $200, but that was because of a typo (it's amazing how unwilling people are to buy syntesizers). I was dubious about it because it is hard to disregard all of the noise you see people type on the internet. I played it for about 10 minutes before I realized how insanely powerful it was (despite the 4 voice polyphony and single layer of oscs). Yes, powerful... don't make me drone the amazing list of functionality!
It is designed VERY well for live performance. The slider knobs are HUGE, and so is the "dashboard." I swear, it's like a Star Trek bridge prop. I bought another one for $500 (which was only slightly above the going rate- because it had the music stand!) and used it (music stand or not, it wasn't in as perfect of shape as the first I had bought) on stage a lot in Minneapolis. (yes, it is heavy... and there wasn't much room for it at the Uptown... but WORTH IT) I was actually teased for paying "that much" for a "single osc 4 voice synth. (come on, why do you need more than four voices in a band? If you're playing more than 4, you're probably taking up too much band bandwidth!)

And yet... here everyone is talking about how $999 is a reasonable price. Amazing.
I'm not sure I would pay that much for one, even though I scream their praises.
Then again, you don't see me throwing mine up for sale, either. :)
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Minimoog, ARP 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, Dubreq S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Hohner Pianet T, Wurlitzer 7300, Wurlitzer 145-A.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Postby synthlab » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:12 pm

cheers for the feedback guys , nice music heath and its effected my gear lust seriously , really cool stuff and nice to see someone being creative and free with a synth and not boxing it inbetween to many other parts .So whats a fair price for a cs80 ? and whats a normal price ? last one i saw for sale in the uk was £9000 ! but i think the guys still trying to sell it ( apparantly its a stunning one and virtually mint but it still seems like mad money to me )
synthlab

Postby hfinn » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:26 pm

I know somone selling one now looking for about $8000 USD which seems about right if not on the lower side. Its probably the last synth I would sell.
hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Postby plikestechno » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:28 am

I'd rock a gnote for a 60 but not a 50. It'd also probably have to be local. Shipping from the US would be just too much of a pain.
Serge/ModcanA/Frac/MOTM Modular/Blippoo Box/Andromeda/Jupe6Eur/OctaveCatSRM/CZ1/SEIV/Pro Soloist/Korg770/Juno60/MultimanS/Minibrute/Microbrute/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/MicrowaveXT/Syncussion/FS1R/Weevil2012/Microkorg/Xoxio/MC202/JD990/MKS50/TX816.
plikestechno

Gear: Lots. See sig.

Postby synthlab » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:35 pm

ok so i have a cs 60 now , yeah i can see how the cs80 is so expensive ! the cs60 just has a really a lovely unique tone and i love its ring mod , sub osc ( lfo ) and also just the layout , a very broad pallette of sounds , its sat alongside an xpander and prophet 5 and they both seem a little insecure on some level and neitehr can come close to its character or ever would i guess , thats why we dont just buy one synth i guess , not sure i would go for the cs80 though as i am not sure my loft floor will take the weight , the cs 60 wasnt fun to transport up to flights of stairs on my own ! i dont think the cs80 would be physically possible without help and even then it might just be to large but i do wonder what 2 layers of those controls would yield , the cs60 can make incredible complex timbres so yeah no wonder the 80's been so appealing - just need to find a vcs3 now and maybe a arp 2600 but i need to find some cash first :).For the record the cs60 shipped from us to uk and it arrived 100% IN TUNE via fedex in plenty of bubble wrap and well boxed.Relieved ?

synthlab wrote:love to know peoples thoughts on the cs60 and cs50 , i know the cs80 is hyped beyond all measure ( for good reason ) but i wonder how the lower classes in the cs range fair .I have read the cs60 can pretty much do much of the tonal character of the cs80 accept the stacked voices and that the cs50 also but it lacks the polyphony for nice chordal stuff.I guess everyone would like a cs80 ? I tried the cs80 arturia emulation and it just left me cold which surprised me as i was expecting to be able to get a bit of the cs magic ? maybe they are not so magik ?
synthlab

Postby synthlab » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:36 pm

ps ,. if anyone ever knows of any cs 60 legs for sale let me know , this one didnt have any and they would be nice to have .

synthlab wrote:love to know peoples thoughts on the cs60 and cs50 , i know the cs80 is hyped beyond all measure ( for good reason ) but i wonder how the lower classes in the cs range fair .I have read the cs60 can pretty much do much of the tonal character of the cs80 accept the stacked voices and that the cs50 also but it lacks the polyphony for nice chordal stuff.I guess everyone would like a cs80 ? I tried the cs80 arturia emulation and it just left me cold which surprised me as i was expecting to be able to get a bit of the cs magic ? maybe they are not so magik ?
[/quote]
synthlab

Postby V301H » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:36 pm

It rarely gets mentioned but, the CS70M is a fairly good alternative to the CS80. It has nearly all of the same functions though lacking 2 voices, polyphonic aftertouch, velocity, and the pitch ribbon. Apart from that it has a 2/4 or 4/2 keyboard split, unison mode, mono aftertouch, patch storage, and a basic sequencer. If you get a CP35 you can play it from a weighted keyboard though it still doesn't have velocity and it loses the aftertouch but, you can layer it with the CP35 sounds. Still, overall it comes closest to the CS80 experience (not quite as big and heavy) out of anything except maybe the GX1.
Prophet 5 rev.2, Juno 60, Jupiter 6, Matrix 12, OB8, CS70M, MS20, Pro-One, Poly 800, DX-7, CP35, Casio WK-3800, Hammond C3 and M102, Vox Continental and Super Continental, Gibson G101, Farfisa Compact, RMI 300A, Pianet N, Combo Pianet, S770, S760, S50
V301H

Gear: Fender The Strat, Stratocaster, Jazz Bass Rickenbacker 360-12, 320 Messenger(Mark Farner)
Band: The Characters

Postby Zonkout » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:36 am

Only ever played a CS-50, but all the praise here is deserved. Gorgeous sound and very inspiring to play.
If only I'd had the room to keep it...that thing is too damn big.
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Salad Shooter, Flowbee, Marsona 1200, Jetta TDI, Original Jams, VCR
Band: Low Red Center

Postby nvbrkr » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:12 am

I started a thread about the SK-line of instruments earlier this year, asking about the similarities / differencies between the synth section on it and the proper polyphonic Yamahas of the 70s (the SK's are divide-down units with the CS-line filter). So has anybody been able to compare the CS -polyphonics with the SKs more recently? Some reviews I've found on the net compare them to the CS-50 and the CS-60. I don't think it's a completely fabricated claim, although should be approached with skepticism.

When I've watched those demos of the CS-70m I can still hear the similarities between that and my SK-20. Sure the first is capable of more complex synthesis, not going to deny that. But the Yamaha -character is there, and coupled with effects I still prefer that thing over any cheaper 80s polyphonic unit (I'm especially looking at you Roland Juno and Korg Poly -series). Using effects is mandatory for the most part, but what a lovely sound if you just know how to work your way around the limitations. The different outputs should be preferably coupled on a mixer for a more interesting sound, and I personally feed the one that doesn't have the onboard effects applied on it through a stereo chorus and a tape delay (just a cheap Dynachord, but works fine). When my bandmate first played that thing over at my place he was like, "Holy fuck! I want to buy this from you!". Well, it gets a little boring as a synth after a while to be honest, but the character of the sound just keeps you coming back to it.

In fact, I'm going to go play it now. :)
nvbrkr

Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Postby adamstan » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:32 am

I personally feed the one that doesn't have the onboard effects applied on it through a stereo chorus and a tape delay (just a cheap Dynachord, but works fine). When my bandmate first played that thing over at my place he was like, "Holy fuck! I want to buy this from you!". Well, it gets a little boring as a synth after a while to be honest, but the character of the sound just keeps you coming back to it.

Yeah!

Yesterday I connected cheap delay unit (with LFO, so it acted as delay+chorus) to my D-85 (Its polysynth section is actually very similar to SK, but preset-only). It was like getting in 80's heaven :-) I could sit for hours playing chords on lower manual (strings+choir) and lead on solo-keyboard (SY1-like)...

Maybe I'll post some recording later.
Living in the '80s ;-)
adamstan

Gear: Yamaha DX7IIFD, MO6, QY-70, PSR-S750, PSR-2000, TYROS, Electone D85, Electone E50, DIY polysynth, KORG Poly61

Postby Cumulus » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:03 am

Not much to add but I love my CS-50. It was my first analog synth back in 1989. I still have it and I am still finding new and amazing sounds on it.
Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Band: Cumulus

Postby shaft9000 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:07 pm

i got one!!

you can see and hear my CS-60 in the Listening Lounge 'synth demos' thread sticky

http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11417&start=210#p662351
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies
shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: 'ho

Postby philip » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:39 pm

CS70 and CS80 sounds almost the same. But cs70 doesn't have that poly aftertouch, and cs80 doesn't have that much memory. So cs80 is more usefull in live performing and cs 70 in studio.
philip

PreviousNext

Return to General Synthesizers