Moog Polymoog 203a restoration thread.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Re: Moog Polymoog 203a restoration thread.

Postby Micke » Mon May 24, 2010 5:31 pm

Klaus Doldinger (of Passport fame) is another notable musician who was very into the Polymoog.

Here's one of my favorite tracks that features the great sounding Polymoog strings:

Watch on youtube.com

What a beautiful piece of music!
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979
Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Advertisement:

Postby StepLogik » Mon May 24, 2010 8:41 pm

wow that is a gorgeous tune
StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Postby Micke » Tue May 25, 2010 4:57 pm

Here's a very nice live version of this tune from 1980:

Watch on youtube.com

Klaus Doldinger on Prophet 5 rev 1, Roland RS-09 and sax and Hendrik Schaper on Rhodes, ARP Quadra and Minimoog.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979
Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby Esus » Tue May 25, 2010 8:00 pm

Schaper was an ace--his minimoog solo on Sky Blue is an excellent example of what that synth can do--so expressive!
Esus

Postby Micke » Tue May 25, 2010 9:41 pm

I noticed that Klaus Doldinger is credited with playing "Moog" on Passport's self-titled debut album from 1971.
Now, I do know that Klaus bought his first Minimoog in London way back in '71 but I don't recall to have heard any synth-
work on that album --on the other hand it was a long time ago I heard it so who knows!?
Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby Arturo00 » Wed May 26, 2010 10:30 pm

Haves: SCI Prophet 5 rev3.3 Moog Multimoog Roland Jupiter4, Juno60, RE201, SH101, TR707, TR808, TR909 Korg Polysix, Poly 800 II, Kaosillator Hammond L112, X5 w/ Leslie 760 Paia Fatman Casio VL-Tone, SK1 Gakken SX-150
Arturo00

Gear: @}-,-`-
Band: My Dad vs Yours

Postby hfinn » Fri May 28, 2010 3:21 am

Well my 2 UA726 chips came yesterday and that solved my rectangle wave pitch problems. The ones where the rec wouldn't be effected by pitch ribbon or tuning. This also brought my "beat" function back. Today came my full set of LED's and CMOS chips along with most every other opamp and random chips. Also got a full set of CA3080's will come as well. I also have a full set of dividers on the way. I"ve already installed the left hand side's LEDs and what an improvement. I also changed out the LED resistors so that some of the strain is being taken off the PSU.
hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Postby hfinn » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:40 pm

Almost complete... A tiny bit of clipping but it wasn't meant to be professional and it will need a final calibration.

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby hfinn » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:26 pm

Not a bad Vox Humana-ish sound for a 203a. As most know the Vox Humana preset of the 280a can't quite be done on a 203a (synthesizer version). I'm starting to think that the 203a might be close enough to the original but with more editing. So you give up having the "exact" sound, but you make up for it in being able to shape the sound more. Vox Humana like sound starts at about 50 seconds...

Basic string sound:

Here is a picture of the divider board with all new dividers and sockets added for easier replacement should the need come up. Don't worry, IC19 got straitened out. ;)

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby HideawayStudio » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:14 pm

hfinn wrote:Not a bad Vox Humana-ish sound for a 203a. As most know the Vox Humana preset of the 280a can't quite be done on a 203a (synthesizer version). I'm starting to think that the 203a might be close enough to the original but with more editing. So you give up having the "exact" sound, but you make up for it in being able to shape the sound more. Vox Humana like sound starts at about 50 seconds...

Basic string sound:

Here is a picture of the divider board with all new dividers and sockets added for easier replacement should the need come up. Don't worry, IC19 got straitened out. ;)

Some superb work here hfinn! I've been curious about the Polymoog for years now but have always been put off by the constant stories about how difficult it is to work on thanks to it's somewhat crazy packaging. Seeing the internals I can't help feeling the rumours have a certain degree of truth about them!

Anyway well done - this beasty is probably the closest relative to the Novachord in many respects albeit 40 years later!

Keep up the good work - and a tech tip to all - try and use turned-pin DIL sockets whenever possible when socketing ICs otherwise you'll be cursing just as soon as they start to oxidise! .....believe me, its worth the few extra cents!

The Emulator II would have been SO much more reliable if it wasn't for its sea of ICs being housed in terrible quality sockets.

Back to the lab to work on the secret project :) ...............
H.I.D.E.A.W.A.Y S.T.U.D.I.O
http://www.hideawaystudio.co.uk
The Home of Novachord #346
http://www.novachord.co.uk
HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Hideaway Studio

Postby hfinn » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:42 pm

It goes great. It's pretty much down to one issue left which is I'm not getting any response from the VCF's Attack or Decay slider. I've replaced the IC's mentioned for this issue too. I'm pretty baffled about this one..
hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member

Previous

Return to General Synthesizers