Korg Polyphonic Ensemble P

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Re: Korg Polyphonic Ensemble P

Postby Automatic Gainsay » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:16 pm

bhrama wrote: Not sure what Solinas go for price wise, but I got the PE-1000 P for $450, and I think it's money well spent.

Definitely money well spent.
When you buy a Solina, you're paying for the popular association, and not for the functionality, sound (unless that chorus is worth several hundred dollars to you...), or build quality. I can't remember what I sold my Solina for... the price may still be on this forum somewhere... but as I recall it was at least $700.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Minimoog, ARP 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, Dubreq S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Hohner Pianet T, Wurlitzer 7300, Wurlitzer 145-A.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Advertisement:

Postby pflosi » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:46 pm

sorry for OT, but what do you guys think bout the korg delta? one just popped up here locally ;)
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Postby Automatic Gainsay » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:37 pm

pflosi wrote:sorry for OT, but what do you guys think bout the korg delta? one just popped up here locally ;)

The Delta is really fun. It has a frickin' fantastically punchy filter... you won't even believe it. It's lowpass and bandpass... how cool is that? The weird additive squarewave oscillator deal is also fun.
The one sad part is that it's paraphonic, and when you're trying to lay down pads, etc. the paraphonic nature can be a bit irritating. It is not a high-end polyphonic for that reason (also because despite how fun the additive oscillator section is, it's also somewhat limiting), although I see that prices for it have been rising into ridiculousness.
It's fun, solid, and worth having... just not worth paying a lot of money for.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Minimoog, ARP 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, Dubreq S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Hohner Pianet T, Wurlitzer 7300, Wurlitzer 145-A.

Postby spookyman » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:47 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
bhrama wrote:I can't remember what I sold my Solina for... the price may still be on this forum somewhere... but as I recall it was at least $700.

Wow... :!:

I get mine for much less than 700$...My RS-505 Paraphonic was 250$. Directly from Japan. I would pay maximum 400$ for a Solina. As you can have a good clone of the Ensemble effect for less than 400$ !
It is much easier to be a good equipment purchaser than to be a great musician.
spookyman

Gear: cheezy machines and some cheap analog stuff

Postby Automatic Gainsay » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:55 am

spookyman wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:
bhrama wrote:I can't remember what I sold my Solina for... the price may still be on this forum somewhere... but as I recall it was at least $700.

Wow... :!:

I get mine for much less than 700$...My RS-505 Paraphonic was 250$. Directly from Japan. I would pay maximum 400$ for a Solina. As you can have a good clone of the Ensemble effect for less than 400$ !

I'm afraid you'll never have a Solina, then... but perhaps that's for the best. : )
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby pflosi » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:27 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
pflosi wrote:sorry for OT, but what do you guys think bout the korg delta? one just popped up here locally ;)

The Delta is really fun. It has a frickin' fantastically punchy filter... you won't even believe it. It's lowpass and bandpass... how cool is that? The weird additive squarewave oscillator deal is also fun.
The one sad part is that it's paraphonic, and when you're trying to lay down pads, etc. the paraphonic nature can be a bit irritating. It is not a high-end polyphonic for that reason (also because despite how fun the additive oscillator section is, it's also somewhat limiting), although I see that prices for it have been rising into ridiculousness.
It's fun, solid, and worth having... just not worth paying a lot of money for.

thanks AG! yeah I kind of knew it's paraphonic (VSE states its fully polyphonic, good indication for that). gonna have to see how the bids go on this one, it's at 250 CHF ATM (ca. 300$)
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Postby radek tymecki » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:07 pm

i got my Solina String Ensemble (with Eminent logo not ARP) for 80$. The guy was absolutely sure that it's faulty. When I asked him why he told that it sounds like fart. lol :D
radek tymecki

Postby spookyman » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:24 pm

Another solution would be to buy an Eminent 310 U...mostly the price tag is under the Solina price! But people are afraid because of the size and weight of the beast! Ok...sonicaly, it's also not exactly the solina string ensemble. But it's near. Listen to some François de Roubaix for nice exemple, once different than the classic jarre-310U-phaser string.
It is much easier to be a good equipment purchaser than to be a great musician.
spookyman

Gear: cheezy machines and some cheap analog stuff

Postby calyx93 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:25 pm

Gotta pipe up and add this to the suggestion pile - if you can deal without having paraphonic polyphony, this is VERY good. I got rid of my Arp SE-IV and use a Chroma for the raw string tone (any synth will do, really) - plus, the settings are entirely variable to your taste so you can emulate other ensemble effects (Elka, Crumar, etc.) and the new version adds CV control. Sergio is very nice to do business with as well.

http://www.synthoma.net/p/index.php?opt ... 42&lang=es
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud
calyx93

Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, Waldorf μWave, Roland JP6+V-Synth, SCI P5+600, Moog LP-TE, E-mu EII, Emax 1+2, Kawai SX-240+K-3, Korg DW8000, Ensoniq Mirage +more

Postby aeon » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:43 pm

Once there is a bit more cash-flow in my life, I'd like to do some business with Sergio. It would be nice to have that ensemble tone for any (and all) of my synths. Perhaps a bit slutty when I already have the external input on the RS-505 Paraphonic, but I do love the Solina ensemble tone in particular, and analog ensemble/chorus units in general.

With good programming, I think many synths can deliver the goods as it concerns stringer tone, especially when paired with the right post-processing. For me, my three favorite synths for this purpose (aside from the RS-505 itself) are the Roland JD-990, Clavia Nord Modular, and Yamaha FS1R.

At the same time, for those who love the sound of stringers, and I do mean love, nothing but the real deal will do. Yea, they are rediculously limited, but the one thing they do, they do well. I appreciate tools like that. YMMV, and likely will.

cheers,
Ian
aeon

Previous

Return to General Synthesizers