Why do people hate the alesis SR16?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Why do people hate the alesis SR16?

Postby nuketifromorbit » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:28 pm

I've had one for about three weeks now and I have to say I actually really enjoy working with it. The internal sounds aren't exactly mind blowing, but I actually enjoy slightly dated late 80 sounding drums so I don't find it all that unpleasant to listen to. Lastly I think the sequencer is top notch in its immediacy, and unlike a lot of similarly priced drum machines it has excellent midi implementation and features midi merge. Do I just have bad taste?
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.
nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Advertisement:

Re: Why do people hate the alesis SR16?

Postby tallowwaters » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:08 pm

Obviously, because I like it too.

It's just one of those things. If we could get together a group of people to talk about it, we would have all the same morons buying it that shell out thousands for more useless sequenced noise boxes.

If you ever get a chance, pick up Marc Ribot and Ikue Mori - Painted Desert, where Mori plays an SR16 live. I guess it's just fun to go "Impact - 233" in front of other people that haven't a clue...
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.
tallowwaters

Gear: synesthesia, venereal disease, obsessive compulsive disorder, manic depressive disorder, and sensitive skin.

Postby Phenom » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:09 pm

I'm not a huge fan, but some of my guitarist pals love it, and a few still use them for demos.

I guess it's more than the quality of the sounds, I think it's just that it doesn't feel like a synthesist's drum machine and I guess it won't be too popular on this forum. The drums lack variety (tho 233 presets at the time made it a market leader) but some of the samples are a bit lush becasue they've been sampled with effects, something that most synthesists would want to do themselves.

I think people also get a bit sniffy about the intro/fill-in features which seem a little casiotone like. Strange that the TR808 has a similar feature, but isn't criticed on the same terms.

One thing I remember about the SR16 is the sample and hold feature, which isn't really a synthesis feature at all, but the ability to set up 4 drum sounds to cycle for each time a pad is hit. Could be fun, but you couldn't pick what those 4 sounds would be, so actually it's kind of pointless.

I think when Boss caught up and released the DR660 which had a better soundset, then a lot of potential buyers probably viewed that as the better budget instrument.

Also around at the time were the R8, which was admired for its deep rhythmic possibilities, and the RY30, which was a pretty good percussion synth as well as drum machine. I think the SR16 was viewed (in my opinion fairly) as a class below and that reputation has kinda stuck. Still, tell that to guitarists...
Phenom

Postby atticus » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:25 pm

Is the SR16 the biggest selling drum machine ever? It must have been in production longer than any other, surely.
Bugbrand Modular, MFB Synth II, Roland Juno 1, Roland JD-990, Novation Supernova, Jomox Airbase, Roland SH-09, Roland HS-60, Mac & Logic
atticus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby FX23 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:40 pm

roland r70, that was deep man
FX23

Postby tallowwaters » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:19 am

The SR16 has something no other drum machine offers (aside from the SR18), and that is instant pattern switching. Every other drum machine (that I've used, and that's a lot) has to wait until the end of the pattern to switch, while the 16 will hit the fill the second you tell it. I could imagine this wouldn't be popular with the arrhythmic goons, but if you have a clue, it actually works great if you play with both of your hands.

If only it was backlit. Or if Numark would have made the 18 able to load 16 patterns.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.
tallowwaters

Gear: synesthesia, venereal disease, obsessive compulsive disorder, manic depressive disorder, and sensitive skin.

Postby tekkentool » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:44 am

I think computer based drum machines and software have mostly made it irrelevant.
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Postby griffin avid » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:51 am

I don't know if people hate it or were simply disappointed with it.
For its reputation I thought it did more and sounded better.

I found the menu system confusing (hold this and press that at the same time...one press is this, two presses is that). I wanted a baby drum machine to knock out little patterns quickly. Once I saw its samples all over the net and compared the quality, it didn't make sense to keep battling its workflow, so I sold it.

I sometimes dance around the idea of getting a cheesie little drum box and using high-powered processing to make the sounds work or just just getting some kind of uber-drum machine.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com
griffin avid
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby redchapterjubilee » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:44 pm

That's the first drum machine I ever laid hands on. Used to have a neighbor growing up in Nashville who thought he was Timbuk 3 and bought one of these when it first came out. Easy to use and sounded like a real drummer to me. At the time it sounded better than the early '80s Dr. Rhythm my brother used as a practice metronome.

Just bought a Yamaha RX15 from a kid over here for $10. Doood. It's crunchy.
http://www.soundcloud.com/kellyminnis
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS
redchapterjubilee

Postby Automatic Gainsay » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:59 pm

I actually loved it, but I only spent a small amount of time programming it before I got a sampler and sampled all of the sounds. Everything I did between about 1991 and 2000 has SR-16 samples all over it.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Minimoog, ARP 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, Dubreq S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Hohner Pianet T, Wurlitzer 7300, Wurlitzer 145-A.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Postby speak_onion » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:54 pm

Always liked, rules with a DS-1, still use the samples.
speak_onion

Gear: Octatrack, G2 Engine
Band: Speak Onion

Postby Headphones » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:35 pm

Just wasn't the drum machine for me. It was aimed at rock/jazz/pop, and not really electronic. That's probably changed with the sr-18, but I don't really need that in my collection. If I saw it for under $20, I'd think about it, but when you've marketed a $100 drum machine for over 20 years (and still running), they will have little to no re-sale value, because there will be so many of them out there on the eBay/used market. Even if it were used for a hour in pristine condition with box/manuals, you'd be lucky to get $40 for it because Alesis pumped them out for so long.....
Headphones

Gear: Ea-1, Em-1 Er-1,BassStation rack, X-station 61, MoFx,Warpfactory, Mic2200, RX1602, S4+, Filter Pro Squeez Compressor (2), DX200, CFX 20

Postby Joey » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:59 pm

I started the Alesis SR-16 haters club.

Mainly because I can, also mainly because fuck that.
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com
Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Make Noise, Harvestman, WMD, Schippmann, Addac, Doepfer, Wretch Machine, Poly Evolver, Minibrute
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Postby Mr Knesh » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:30 am

I bought the SR16 shortly after I started working at guitarcenter. I nearly immediately sold it to another employee for more than I paid for it.

I enjoyed using it's sequencer, especially compared to the rx15, but fuck the sounds sucked. If I was making 80's ballad rock I would totally dig it, but none of the drums were punchy enough for my tastes. The reverb that they put on every sound was really irritating. I took the time to go through and turn that effect off/down on the few sounds that I did like.
Mr Knesh

Gear: DP/4+ because in order to dive in deep, you have to DP.

Postby ninja6485 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:23 am

nuketifromorbit wrote:Why do people hate the alesis SR16?

Automatic Gainsay wrote:Everything I did between about 1991 and 2000 has SR-16 samples all over it.

nuketifromorbit wrote:Do I just have bad taste?
Automatic Gainsay wrote:Everything I did between about 1991 and 2000 has SR-16 samples all over it.

:D
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, esi4k,M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Next

Return to General Synthesizers