more Korg analog - Monotron Duo & Monotron Delay

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Re: more Korg analog - Monotron Duo & Monotron Delay

Postby winnebago » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:49 pm

Im really looking forward to these coming out, I will certainly be buying. Its kind of strange though because I was the same when the monotron and monotribe were announced, and did buy them both and really enjoy them but yet havnt used them in any music I have made, but I still wouldnt get rid of them.

I havnt seen a release date on any pages or anything but would also like to know when they will be available, hopefully very soon.
winnebago

Advertisement:

Postby Blue Monster 65 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:04 pm

The Monotribe was only one that really interested me so far, but this delay looks and sounds right up my alley. That one could find it's way to my home.
Muhahahahahahahahaha!
Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Automatic Gainsay » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:28 am

Yayy! I kept saying I'd buy a Monotron. I'm glad I procrastinated.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Minimoog, ARP 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, Dubreq S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Hohner Pianet T, Wurlitzer 7300, Wurlitzer 145-A.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Postby James Mandible » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:23 am

blackdiscoball wrote:I didn't really ready over all of it so I may have missed it but was there a price or release day yet?

Haven't seen a date (I'm assuming they'll be out pretty soon?) but synthtopia said they'd be 60 each, so about the same as the regular Monotron.
James Mandible

Postby Stab Frenzy » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:37 am

bouzoukijoe1 wrote:this is cool. seems to sort of follow the Moogerfooger pattern of a-la carte units. I'm surprised though that they didn't design them to be more physically joinable or dare I say modular. at least Moogerfoogers are flat on the sides so you can line them up tight. these look curved on the sides. still pretty cool though.

Hugo76 wrote:Yes, this is quite cool, but why not just throw in the delay in the two osc version, instead of giving us two boxes? Kudos to Korg, but I won't be buying these until they offer a bit more tweakwise. They're just too basic at the moment.

The form factor is due to them keeping the costs down by putting a new board in the same housing, saving them having to design and manufacture a new one and new packaging. Each new feature replaces the LFO in the original Monotron.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby Hybrid88 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:17 am

Do you know what's really clever with these? The marketing behind them. I mean they're cheap, they're brightly coloured and attractive, they're small and there's now three to collect - seriously, how can anyone not justify that as a purchase? :)

Like some have said they could've just added the delay to the monotron duo but the way they've done it by making three seperate models means people will probably still buy all three just for the sake of having them - very clever move. 8-)

Hope this makes Roland sit up and notice, Korg have taken off in recent years - and this comes from a die hard Roland fan here :lol:
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff.

Postby lazerface » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:46 am

I'll probably buy the delay one,
for live use, i find it useful to have a lil noise maker of somekind for a bit of atmosphere - either in the background or to carry the flow while im changing settings on something else. couldnt really use the original one - take your finger off and it stops making noise (i'd hardly want to devote a full reverb/delay pedal to it), this one i'll be able to leave feedbacking for a lil bit! :twisted:

So...THIS IS MY BET! Jan 2013, Korg releases the MonoKorg Duo - a 2 osc mono synth with inbuilt delay, cross mod, ribbon controllers (instead of mod wheels) and a couple of LFOs - putting it in competition with the Mopho and Little Phatty (and to a lesser extent doepfer dark energy, vermona lancet etc)

whatcha reckon?
lazerface

Gear: Tempest, JX3P, Pro-One, Roland Gaia, Monotribe
Band: Solaires

Postby Stab Frenzy » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:12 am

lazerface wrote:I'll probably buy the delay one,
for live use, i find it useful to have a lil noise maker of somekind for a bit of atmosphere - either in the background or to carry the flow while im changing settings on something else. couldnt really use the original one - take your finger off and it stops making noise (i'd hardly want to devote a full reverb/delay pedal to it), this one i'll be able to leave feedbacking for a lil bit! :twisted:

Have you got an iphone? Bebot does the same thing (with user selectable scales) and is $59 cheaper.

lazerface wrote:So...THIS IS MY BET! Jan 2013, Korg releases the MonoKorg Duo - a 2 osc mono synth with inbuilt delay, cross mod, ribbon controllers (instead of mod wheels) and a couple of LFOs - putting it in competition with the Mopho and Little Phatty (and to a lesser extent doepfer dark energy, vermona lancet etc)

whatcha reckon?

I would buy that. I think an expanded Monotribe is more likely before they branch out into a keyboard though. Don't know what they could do with the Monotribe casing though if they keep going by the same MO of reusing the housing, don't think it would be a good idea to cut the LFO from the Monotribe.

An aside: I'd like it if they smoothed out the envelope in the Monotribe so it doesn't click on bass notes, that's the only real flaw with it. The envelopes are software so there isn't any reason they couldn't do that...
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby lazerface » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:18 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Have you got an iphone? Bebot does the same thing (with user selectable scales) and is $59 cheaper.

haha, yea I have Bebot etc, having a little gadget to do the trick is just infinitely cooler though than whipping out the iphone though (i think :P )..Although I have been considering bring the ipad with animoog to the live set.
At the moment I just push my strymon tape delay pedal into self osc and let it rumble along, but that gets cheesy pretty quick..

I think they will definitely do an expanded monotribe type thing first as well, ( MEGATRIBE!! haha )
I think we're all hoping for a full blown synth eventually though
lazerface

Gear: Tempest, JX3P, Pro-One, Roland Gaia, Monotribe
Band: Solaires

Postby Nannerfan » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:21 am

Stabby, any updates on if you can mod the Monotribe so that you can turn off the oscillator and use it as a proper rhythmic external filter??
Nannerfan

Gear: Akai AX-60, AX-80, S612
Arturia Microbrute
Roland D-550, TR-8
Yamaha QY700, SU700, TX81Z

Postby edfunction » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:36 am

Nannerfan wrote:Stabby, any updates on if you can mod the Monotribe so that you can turn off the oscillator and use it as a proper rhythmic external filter??

+1

i'd buy one in a flash if i could do this!
edfunction

Gear: sh-101, monomachine, nordmodular, esx1, nova, jx3p, jx8p, prophet vs, dx200

Postby redchapterjubilee » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:01 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:I think an expanded Monotribe is more likely before they branch out into a keyboard though.
An aside: I'd like it if they smoothed out the envelope in the Monotribe so it doesn't click on bass notes, that's the only real flaw with it. The envelopes are software so there isn't any reason they couldn't do that...

I think you are right, I think the Monotribe MX or whatever will be next, incorporating the stuff from the two new Monotrons in there plus other stuff. But the keyboard will come too. It will be interesting to see how Moog and DSI react, and if Yamaha and Roland even notice.

I've noticed that clicking myself! I thought it was some sort of crosstalk from the drums because when I turn up the rhythm then the clicking stops.
http://www.soundcloud.com/kellyminnis
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS
redchapterjubilee

Postby cryabetes » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:26 pm

what'd be really neat is if they made a monotr** docking station that'd allow for quick re-routing (via a nice patchbay) and changed the master ins/outs to two proper sized 1/4" unbalanced jacks or even stereo RCAs (and, while I'm day dreaming, add two AAA battery sized docking spots so we can power it from wall outlet). Maybe they have a few electribe housings left over they can use for this.

As far as the marketing, it's really more or less the same thing that boss stomp boxes have been doing since.... boss stomp boxes came out. Just with these, they also work as standalone units.

also aren't Korg and Yamaha owned by the same company?
cryabetes

Gear: Electribe Army: EA-1mkII, ER-1mkII, EM-1, ESX-1
Band: Cody P & Sammy B

Postby th0mas » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:23 pm

I own a monotron and monotribe. I love the monotribe and use it constantly, but the monotron kinda is sitting doing nothing despite being modded with a breakout box.

clearly they are still appealing to the "cool gadget!" demographic more than serious music makers. I have a kaoss pad and a boss dd-3. I don't need a built in delay although it's pretty cool and if I didn't have a monotron yet I'd consider that one.

If I didn't have a monotron yet I'd be kind of annoyed that there is no "monotron xl" that has both the delay and the second osc and instead I have to choose.

I love the 2 I have but I will not be buying any more until there is a serious replacement for the small ribbon controller. I have yet to add MIDI to my monotribe despite being the first person who theorized publicly that the MIDI code probably is present in the firmware (and was right).

funny note: last time we had this talk about korg analogs a forum member called me out for something I took offence to, i told him to fuck off, we got into a debate via PM's and after my last message to him he never came on the forum ever. again. awkward.
th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Postby blackdiscoball » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:29 pm

I don't have a monotribe yet (saving for one) but I got a lot of use of of my monotron stock (cool noise and great kick sounds). Once I modified it to have cv in I used it a LOT more. I think the biggest selling point for me is being able to run sound through an analog low pass is worth $60 to me.
Moog Prodigy, Moog Liberation, Wurlitzer 112, Roland 707, Roland Juno106 Casio CZ3000,
blackdiscoball

PreviousNext

Return to General Synthesizers