more Korg analog - Monotron Duo & Monotron Delay

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Re: more Korg analog - Monotron Duo & Monotron Delay

Postby Instrument Panel » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:06 pm

These look cool.

I've got a question for any of you electronics gurus who might know: is it likely to be possible to remove the scalable keyboard and scaling switch from the Monotron Duo and transplant it into the original Monotron?

I prefer the lfo on the original to the x-mod on the duo, but I like the scalable keyboard.
Instrument Panel

Advertisement:

Postby Stab Frenzy » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:20 am

Nannerfan wrote:Stabby, any updates on if you can mod the Monotribe so that you can turn off the oscillator and use it as a proper rhythmic external filter??

I haven't looked into it since I set up my live case with everything pretty much permanently stuck in it.

redchapterjubilee wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:I think an expanded Monotribe is more likely before they branch out into a keyboard though.
An aside: I'd like it if they smoothed out the envelope in the Monotribe so it doesn't click on bass notes, that's the only real flaw with it. The envelopes are software so there isn't any reason they couldn't do that...

I think you are right, I think the Monotribe MX or whatever will be next, incorporating the stuff from the two new Monotrons in there plus other stuff. But the keyboard will come too. It will be interesting to see how Moog and DSI react, and if Yamaha and Roland even notice.

I've noticed that clicking myself! I thought it was some sort of crosstalk from the drums because when I turn up the rhythm then the clicking stops.

No it's not crosstalk, you're just not noticing it when the drums come in because the attack of the drums masks it. If you record some and have a look at the waveform the attack of the envelope is pretty much a square wave.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby Hybrid88 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:48 pm

hmm, I'm wondering if you could somehow mod the monotron delay so that you could just use just the filter and delay as an FX processing device - I guess like the original monotron it all depends on how noisy the output amp is - but surely there must be a work around like disconnecting the signal from before the amp stage and using a different better spec'd circuit for the amplifier? In a device this simple it should be possible with a bit of hacking, In any case I hope they post schematics like they did with the original. ;)
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff.

Postby nathanscribe » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:45 pm

Neither of these, or the original 'tron, do anything for me whatsoever, and a few minutes on a 'tribe didn't convince me to part with any folding either... if, on the other hand, they make another Monotron with more emphasis (haha) on the filter, and take advantage of the heritage of the thing, giving it a proper MS-20-style LP and HP with basic onboard modulation and a couple of inputs, I'd have one. I think a filter-centric version would be do-able in that case and for same cost.

I'm holding out for a mini-key version with full control over 2 oscs and both filters, but I'm not laying bets.
nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Postby Stab Frenzy » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:11 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:hmm, I'm wondering if you could somehow mod the monotron delay so that you could just use just the filter and delay as an FX processing device - I guess like the original monotron it all depends on how noisy the output amp is - but surely there must be a work around like disconnecting the signal from before the amp stage and using a different better spec'd circuit for the amplifier? In a device this simple it should be possible with a bit of hacking, In any case I hope they post schematics like they did with the original. ;)

You don't need to mod it, it does that already. No resonance control for the filter though.
Stab Frenzy

Postby bouzoukijoe1 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:16 pm

nathanscribe wrote:Neither of these, or the original 'tron, do anything for me whatsoever, and a few minutes on a 'tribe didn't convince me to part with any folding either... if, on the other hand, they make another Monotron with more emphasis (haha) on the filter, and take advantage of the heritage of the thing, giving it a proper MS-20-style LP and HP with basic onboard modulation and a couple of inputs, I'd have one. I think a filter-centric version would be do-able in that case and for same cost.

I'm holding out for a mini-key version with full control over 2 oscs and both filters, but I'm not laying bets.

the sad thing is that Korg is so fixated on cramming so many features, all done in a mediocre way, instead of focusing and making any specific aspect perfect, like making it "filter-centric". it's really too bad they didn't completely follow the Moogerfooger approach. my guess is it caters more to beginners and hobbyists who want a balanced device rather than professionals who are comfortable with centrism. the same problem is in the EMX/ESX models where they tried to cram so much bells and whistles in there, which made it better for beginner to intermediate users, but not as good for professionals. but I guess those sold well. (sigh)

imho Moogerfoogers were executed really well, except that their price point was too high. if someone can make a system that is as flexible and good as Moogerfoogers but somewhere between the price points of the two systems, that would be PERFECT!
bouzoukijoe1

Postby Stab Frenzy » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:16 pm

bouzoukijoe1 wrote:imho Moogerfoogers were executed really well, except that their price point was too high. if someone can make a system that is as flexible and good as Moogerfoogers but somewhere between the price points of the two systems, that would be PERFECT!

You mean like Eurorack modulars?
Stab Frenzy

Postby Kidney05 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:51 am

Why must they tease with anything besides a synth with a proper keyboard?

also have you guys seen this? http://m.matrixsynth.com/2011/11/amazin ... e-rev.html
Kidney05

Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

monotron, Duo. Delay

Postby mizu » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:35 pm

I was successful to play these two instruments at the music fest today in Tokyo.

I'll upload pics later, I have the catalog. Share your thoughts about this synth

btw, I did touch more synths.
mizu

Gear: Casio MA-101 (going to buy a synth to replace that toy keyboard)
Yanagisawa Saxophone

Postby meatballfulton » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:19 pm

kuroichi wrote:I was just a bit shocked thinking they had made a battery powered analog delay!

Even if it were analog, why be shocked? Plenty of 9V powered analog delay stomp boxes have been made over the years.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby meatballfulton » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:45 pm

bouzoukijoe1 wrote:the sad thing is that Korg is so fixated on cramming so many features, all done in a mediocre way, instead of focusing and making any specific aspect perfect, like making it "filter-centric". it's really too bad they didn't completely follow the Moogerfooger approach. my guess is it caters more to beginners and hobbyists who want a balanced device rather than professionals who are comfortable with centrism.

Just curious if you are a professional. The whole idea of a $60 analog monosynth is pretty obviously not aimed at pros.

Is it really that hard to accept that Korg has tapped a huge market that's completely driven by price? If you need an analog monosynth built to a pro standard you can go buy a MoPho for $800, Little Phatty for $1200 or even indulge in modulars starting in the $600 range. The gap between $60 and $600 is a huge gulf for musicians who have little or no money. I can tell you stories of having no money to buy food for a month in order to buy a bass guitar or begging an acquaintance selling a used synth to take $50 a month until the entire $350 was paid off.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby nathanscribe » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:18 pm

Sounds like me buying my first drum machine, a Casio RZ-1 (that I sold later and regret doing so) but I saved up loose change for weeks to buy that thing. I paid for it in bags of 50p, 10p etc. I'll never forget that moment.

I think it's great that Korg are making these. Though they're not currently for me, I'd love to see them do a slightly broader range, and I also like how they have made modding them look easy. I do wonder how many have ended up played with for a few minutes and then left on bookshelves though. They are this generation's Stylophone.
nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Postby bouzoukijoe1 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:17 am

meatballfulton wrote:Just curious if you are a professional. The whole idea of a $60 analog monosynth is pretty obviously not aimed at pros.

Is it really that hard to accept that Korg has tapped a huge market that's completely driven by price? If you need an analog monosynth built to a pro standard you can go buy a MoPho for $800, Little Phatty for $1200 or even indulge in modulars starting in the $600 range. The gap between $60 and $600 is a huge gulf for musicians who have little or no money. I can tell you stories of having no money to buy food for a month in order to buy a bass guitar or begging an acquaintance selling a used synth to take $50 a month until the entire $350 was paid off.

what's with the rudeness about me being pro or not pro? of course the monotribe isn't aimed at pros. what I'm just saying is that that Korg shouldn't aim so low. imagine if guitar pedals -- the ultimate in democratic, affordable, scalable musical systems -- included unneccessary features, plastic cases and cheap knobs just so they can sell better.

I have nothing against making instruments for starving artists since I started out with cheap gear as well, but it doesn't seem right for Korg to aim super low, just to appease the public consumer who might be easily tempted with loads of features at K-Mart prices instead of decent long lasting products well worth their hard earned money.

I really don't see the argument being that there are companies like Boss, EHX, and dozens of other pedal companies who are already doing things the "right way", selling lasting products that can grow with your long term system easily. we just need the affordable synth pedal version of foogers, that's all I'm saying.
bouzoukijoe1

Postby sequentialsoftshock » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:23 am

Stab Frenzy wrote: I'm loving what the monotribe adds to my setup.

Which is..? And I mean this seriously. I couldn't really utilize it in my setup so I returned the unit I had, but I'd love to have been able to keep it. It sounded REALLY fucking great!
bonne chance
sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Postby Automatic Gainsay » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:20 am

:facepalm:

Okay, I know it's convenient and catchy, but we already have a device that's called a 'Tron. And, it also happens to be a keyboard. It is distinctly unhelpful and kind of uninformed to start attributing that specific name to something new which will not have the lasting power of the other thing which has been called that for decades. And still is.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Minimoog, ARP 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, Dubreq S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Hohner Pianet T, Wurlitzer 7300, Wurlitzer 145-A.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

PreviousNext

Return to General Synthesizers