more Korg analog - Monotron Duo & Monotron Delay

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Re: more Korg analog - Monotron Duo & Monotron Delay

Postby mizu » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:04 am

got to use it at the music instrument fest yesterday in Yokohama
mizu

Gear: Casio MA-101 (going to buy a synth to replace that toy keyboard)
Yanagisawa Saxophone

Advertisement:

Postby Hugo76 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:26 pm

I know that on he monotribe, the sequencer have to run, or at least the keyboard must be pressed, in order for input audio to be filtered. Is this also the case on the monotron's? After testing my friend's monotribe, I'm seriously. considering one of the monotribe's as an effect processor...
Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby meatballfulton » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:24 pm

bouzoukijoe1 wrote:what's with the rudeness about me being pro or not pro? we just need the affordable synth pedal version of foogers, that's all I'm saying.

The question wasn't rude, I'm not a pro either...just a part-timer, but I can afford pro products nowadays from my gigging revenues. If Korg thought there already was a pro market for another analog monosynth, they'd be making one.

Foogers are affordable...LPF, ring mod and phaser are all under $300.

Compare that to Ibanez's "hand wired" :?: Tube Screamer guitar distortion pedal for $350 (Ibanez also make a more sensible PC board version for $180). I got that price at American Musical Supply. BTW, AMS have 18 other distortion pedals selling for $250 or more with the most expensive being $599 :shock:

Other synth pedals on the market (prices from Analogue Haven): EH microsynth $275, Pigtronix Mothership $480, Pigtronix ADSR $280, Death By Audio Robot $420, Dwarfcraft Thumping Double Squaresnakes $175

So who's affordable?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby redchapterjubilee » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:38 pm

sequentialsoftshock wrote:Which is..? And I mean this seriously. I couldn't really utilize it in my setup so I returned the unit I had, but I'd love to have been able to keep it. It sounded REALLY fucking great!

I use mine as a sort of portable Berlin School bass sequencer in a box. It allows me to perform what I do live, which is a bit different than the sort of musicians I wind up sharing bills with. I have no other hardware sequencer or drum machine. I generally use Reason for that. The next GUL split album features Monotribe on at least half of it. Here's me as great unwashed luminaries using the Monotribe as the main bass line and drums for this live performance.

Watch on youtube.com

I also use it live as a tablehooter noisemaker sort of thing with the stoner-prog metal thing I do called The Tron Sack. On the below track I have it droning E flat and drum machining while I play drums over top of it. My Tetra bangs out the main sequence once we got going.

Watch on youtube.com

I also use it to record demos of songs for my band, plus it will wind up on that band's next album as I'm using it on the last song with the woman who plays drums in that band playing live drums over top of the Monotribe drums.

I could see how it wouldn't fit into the setups some of you guys have. But for me I like it quite a bit. I admit it is limited but at $200 I really can't complain.
http://www.soundcloud.com/kellyminnis
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS
redchapterjubilee

Postby Stab Frenzy » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:09 am

sequentialsoftshock wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote: I'm loving what the monotribe adds to my setup.

Which is..? And I mean this seriously. I couldn't really utilize it in my setup so I returned the unit I had, but I'd love to have been able to keep it. It sounded REALLY fucking great!

A fun bass synth and drum machine that syncs up with the rest of my gear easily and makes playing little sequences fun. I've got it synced to my MPC2500 in my live rig at the moment and it just loops away in the bottom end while the modular handles the low-mids and more complicated sequences coming from the MPC.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby winnebago » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:13 pm

Just checked on the production room site for the new 'trons' and it has a price of £99 on each of them.... Surely this cant be right??
winnebago

Postby Instrument Panel » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:37 pm

I just ran the Monotron Duo page on Amazon Japan through babelfish.
At the moment it gives the price as 3980 yen (£35? / $50?) and says something about the availability date being 10th December?
Don't know how reliable this is though.
Instrument Panel

Postby cgren72 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:50 pm

i looked on sweetwater and they were 49.00
in US
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=monotron

maybe ill get the delay after some mods are released
cgren72

Postby James Mandible » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:06 pm

lower than the regular Monotron? That doesn't seem right. I wonder if they're factoring in the rebate deal or something.
James Mandible

Postby blackdiscoball » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:22 pm

I just placed an order for one of the monotron duo's.
Moog Prodigy, Moog Liberation, Wurlitzer 112, Roland 707, Roland Juno106 Casio CZ3000,
blackdiscoball

Postby cgren72 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:08 pm

James Mandible wrote:lower than the regular Monotron? That doesn't seem right. I wonder if they're factoring in the rebate deal or something.

i thought so too, but if you look at them, they actualy have less features. they dont have as much filter and lfo control. it seems to be substitutions, instead of improvements. but still cool
cgren72

Postby blackdiscoball » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:23 pm

They have a tuning function which change's from major to minor, chromatic and free which is pretty cool. I wouldn't say it has less function but just that it changes that function around.
Moog Prodigy, Moog Liberation, Wurlitzer 112, Roland 707, Roland Juno106 Casio CZ3000,
blackdiscoball

Postby Instrument Panel » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:12 pm

I just watched an interesting video of the monotron duo and delay on MusicRadar, but the video doesn't seem to be working now.
:?

It's started requesting a date of birth - it didn't do that when I played it before.

( http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/first-look-korg-monotron-duo-and-delay-516811 )
Instrument Panel

Postby Hybrid88 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:23 pm

Hmm, they've left it a bit late for the christmas market I would have thought they'd be in stores by now. I thought having these as stocking fillers was kind of the idea.

Jonesing for the delay version, shame there's no resonance on it though.
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff.

Postby Mr. DiSco » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:18 pm

Have you seen these videos?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWLOxRSll5Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYA_2koNLNs (who said the goal was to buy the 3 monotrons?..)

I'm definitely getting myself a Monotron Duo for Christmas, and I plan on getting to mod it really soon. :D
PS: Sonicstate as reviewed and opened the two models.
Mr. DiSco

PreviousNext

Return to General Synthesizers