more Korg analog - Monotron Duo & Monotron Delay

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Re: more Korg analog - Monotron Duo & Monotron Delay

Postby James Mandible » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:27 am

Hybrid88 wrote:Hmm, they've left it a bit late for the christmas market I would have thought they'd be in stores by now. I thought having these as stocking fillers was kind of the idea.

Sweetwater says they're scheduled to be in stock in 'late December, just in time to pick up for stocking stuffers' or something like that (looked at the page earlier today). If that's the case, surely it won't be more than another week?
James Mandible

Advertisement:

Postby JayEm » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:34 am

my wife pre-ordered me one from a shop in town. they told her it wouldn't be available until march...?

seems a bit long but whatev!
w00t
JayEm

Gear: Korg Poly 800 Monotron MFB 522 Tapco Mix 100 Novation Nio 24 Remote 25SL FLStudio Behringer FEX800 Yamaha CS-15D
Band: datapark / KNUCKLEFACE / JayEm

Postby blackdiscoball » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:28 pm

I ordered one and the Sweetwater rep called and said to expect it late Dec? That was a while ago so things might have changed.
Moog Prodigy, Moog Liberation, Wurlitzer 112, Roland 707, Roland Juno106 Casio CZ3000,
blackdiscoball

Postby ryryoftokyo » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:04 pm

This just gave me a reason to buy the monotron line. The original was really cool especially for $60. The MS-20/10 filter and a fast LFO were simply to die for, but it was just no fun to play beyond screwing around. I know you can always mod it to be used with a MIDI controller by building a MIDI to CV box, but that's not always practical or easy. The delay is to be ideal for DJs, noise bands, or anybody who wants some quirky sounds. The duo is going to find it's own amongst proper synths thanks to the scales. Either way, I'm excited for these two little boxes of analog joy and I'm waiting for Korg to finally get back into releasing some proper analog.
Moog Multimoog Korg MS20 Korg Electribe EMX Korg Electribe EA1 Arturia Microbrute, Waldorf Blofeld Yamaha AN1x Korg microKORG Roland Juno 60 Yamaha DX7 Roland Alpha Juno 2 Korg Poly 61 Roland JX8P Sequential Circuits Split 8 Korg Monotron Delay
ryryoftokyo

Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: EOC

Postby Mr. DiSco » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:04 am

kuroichi wrote:
tekkentool wrote:Korg's digital delays are excellent though, they create the most bizarre noises out of all of the DD's I've tried....

Yeah, I didn't mean that as a critique, I was just a bit shocked thinking they had made a battery powered analog delay!

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/m169-c ... alog-delay Isn't that a battery powered analog delay? Just wondering if there's something I don't understand.
Mr. DiSco

Postby phesago » Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:42 pm

I hate to thread necro, but can't use the monotron with aux send/return on your mixer to apply the filter to multiple sources? That sounds like really stupid question, but if that's the case like I think it is, then why wouldn't you have one? It just seems like a cheap and useful tool at that point.
Time for updates: pro-1 x2, Xpander, 808, mopho, SEM, PolyE, Voyager, Fr-Revo x2, XS, DRM MK3, KP3x2, mf104z x2, mf105m, mf103, space/time-factor, t3, nord g1..(plus other effects/sequencers/samplers and other shit).
phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Postby James Mandible » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:19 pm

phesago wrote:I hate to thread necro, but can't use the monotron with aux send/return on your mixer to apply the filter to multiple sources? That sounds like really stupid question, but if that's the case like I think it is, then why wouldn't you have one? It just seems like a cheap and useful tool at that point.

Yes you can do that, I've done that several times.

On a related note, where the heck are these things? They really did miss that Xmas deadline.
James Mandible

Postby phesago » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:38 pm

James Mandible wrote:
phesago wrote:I hate to thread necro, but can't use the monotron with aux send/return on your mixer to apply the filter to multiple sources? That sounds like really stupid question, but if that's the case like I think it is, then why wouldn't you have one? It just seems like a cheap and useful tool at that point.

Yes you can do that, I've done that several times.

On a related note, where the heck are these things? They really did miss that Xmas deadline.

Sick! I thought that was the case, but bought one anyway. I am hoping I can get some serious good use out of it, because it seems like a seriously useful tool at this point. Who cares that you can use it as a stand alone synth(kind of), I mean the filter alone is worth the 50 bucks.

Def is a cool little device. I was personally wondering why hasnt cost reduction been introduced into the world of synths yet. You would think that a real analog with serious potential could be significantly cheaper now.
Time for updates: pro-1 x2, Xpander, 808, mopho, SEM, PolyE, Voyager, Fr-Revo x2, XS, DRM MK3, KP3x2, mf104z x2, mf105m, mf103, space/time-factor, t3, nord g1..(plus other effects/sequencers/samplers and other shit).
phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Postby masstronaut » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:08 am

Putting a filter on a send isn't quite the same as using it as an insert. Unless you use pre-fade sends with the channel faders right down you'll still be getting the unfiltered signal.
masstronaut

Postby bassdude » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:24 am

Has anybody used one of these? Do they work well? Would they be easy to make yourself?

MIDI to Korg Monotron & Monotribe Sync adapter:

[ebay]http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIDI-to-Korg-Monotron-Monotribe-Sync-adapter-/150775012583?pt=AU_Musical_Instruments_Instruments&hash=item231ae41ce7#ht_500wt_1180[/ebay]

If this is all it takes to make a monotron MIDI ready, I'd really consider getting one.
bassdude
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby loungedumore » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:50 am

bassdude wrote:Has anybody used one of these? Do they work well? Would they be easy to make yourself?
MIDI to Korg Monotron & Monotribe Sync adapter:
[ebay]http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIDI-to-Korg-Monotron-Monotribe-Sync-adapter-/150775012583?pt=AU_Musical_Instruments_Instruments&hash=item231ae41ce7#ht_500wt_1180[/ebay]
If this is all it takes to make a monotron MIDI ready, I'd really consider getting one.

Not quite , that is for midi sync only . If you want midi i/o easy and cheap and not in to DIY then check the services thread Altitude has one for sale .

http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=65579
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media
loungedumore

Gear: iMac | iPad2| iPad Air
MPK49 | MPD26 | Mpx8
Volca bass | Volca Keys
Volca beats | Monotribe
MS20 | Minibrute
Band: Death By Media

Postby bassdude » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:28 am

So that device will only sync the monotron to the BPM of an incoming MIDI signal, not transfer key up or down messages?

Has anybody used one of those kits from the service thread with their monotron? Does it work well?
bassdude
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Kidney05 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:52 am

I hate to plug my own site too much on here, but I recently reviewed the Amazing Machines MIDITRIBE. It works really well, I'm impressed with it. You can read my full impressions here.

http://thesynthesizersympathizer.blogsp ... eview.html
Kidney05

Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Postby Walter Ego » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:50 pm

I thought I'd add more than a few cents' worth of thought here on the 'trons...

Like an eager schoolboy, I pre-ordered the Monotron DUO and the DELAY version, having seen some poor demo videos on YouTube, with the assumption that the actual potential is far greater than what you see some hack doing on YouTube (apologies to any "hacks" here--I'm sure you do great work). Well, as someone who has messed about with song creation for over a decade using VSTIs, including some great VAs, I have been ready to make the switch to hardware. The 'trons have given me the impetus to make the jump. I prepared for the purchase, actually, by also procuring a BOSS DR 110, which I like a lot (for under $100 USD). I paid $100 total for both new 'trons together, and do not regret it at all.

I avoided buying the first Monotron (though now I am considering getting one, if the price is right), but the new ones got my attention. Let me start with the DUO. It has a nice tone to begin with, not sure what the actual waveform is, and ALERT: no LFO. Boo-hoo. But that's not really the point of this one. It does have a nice filter with CUT and RES (peak), which is decent enough. But the point of this thing, and where the real magic is, is when it's switched to 2VCO so you can use the X-MOD. Now you can muck about and create jarring tones, which may have their purpose, but there is a sweet spot where VCO2 is tuned to just under 0, and the X-MOD is to one side or the other of the middle (sorry, don't know the technical terms): this thing SCREAMS. It's hugely fat in the low end for meaty bass tones and it really screams like a trance lead at the high end. I just use VCO1 to change the pitch range. Hooked up to a PA or even my home stereo, the thing shakes the room. Just the kind of tone I am looking for to make those bright, sharp VNV/futuristic or trance tones.

Now for the filter. The input is noisy, but that is fine with me. It adds a nice tone and character, and when you already love noise, it works. It also has its uses. Using the DUO to filter the DR 110 elevates this thing to a new level. The noise actually helps a great deal; when the RES is turned up, there is so much noise, the feedback almost acts as a pure oscillator, and the pitch can be controlled by the cutoff. This makes things extra fun. You can really blow some speakers with it to. Using it subtly adds some cool sound to the percussion coming from the drum machine. If you want sonar-sounding percussion, it's good for that; if you want the kind of compressed/filtered drums of, say, The Flaming Lips on Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, it's good for that. It's a good filter, and the extra noise is a bonus (to me, anyway).

Now, let's talk Monotron DELAY. You probably already know the description, so I'll try to avoid wasting space with it. It's fun looking, but let me be clear--it has WAY more potential than YouTube videos would make you think. It has an LFO, but you can't use it with the filter, only the VCO. Because the choice is between triangle and square, this immediately presents three obvious possibilities: sirens. 1. More European type square siren (with the rate set right and INT not too high)...you can even use the keyboard to give it a doppler effect. 2. More American style siren (triangle LFO rate set much lower and INT set wherever sounds realistic to you). 3. Theremin. The theremin sound alone makes this "toy" worth its pricetag. To make the theremin sound, use the triangle LFO and set the rate about in the middle and the INT fairly low so it's not overpowering for a beautiful vibrato. You'll be scoring old skool SciFi in no time. And that's just the beginning.

There is no RES control on the DELAY, but that's what the other 'tron is for. As far as the delay unit itself goes, it adds tremendous dimension to the synth itself or to whatever it's filtering. No, it is not analog, but I'm too young to really know the difference between it and a real Space Echo, and I couldn't afford one even if I wanted it. It's more than adequate. Yes, turning the feedback to %100 will give you all kinds of distorted industrial rhythmic noise, and that's fine if that's your thing. But what almost every YouTube video misses is that it's also perfectly functional as an echo delay, not just a noisemaker. If you are interested in making some fun experimental rhythms, a great thing to do is leave the feedback at %100 and wait for things to come to an equilibrium, then tweak the cutoff to 0 and back up quickly. You will eventually end up with a pounding kick sound, which would be very usable when sampled. Very nice deep, clicky kick sounds can be had this way. Another fun thing to do once you've tweaked away the high freq. noise is change the pitch of the kick sound with the delay time knob.

As far as the ribbon controllers go, you may be able to pick out melodies on the DUO with a pen or pencil used as a stylus, and you can become fairly effective. On the DELAY, it's more fun to use your (or my...) fat fingers and move them ever so slightly to change pitches. Not really for melodies.

Okay, I've tried to give the scoop on the strengths of both 'trons as useful instruments. Now, put everything together: I daisy-chain the DR-110 to the DUO and send the signal to the DELAY. Lots of noise, you say? Maybe, but not intolerable. Now, I match the tempo of the DR 110 to the timing on the DELAY, tweaking it mainly through the DUO's filter, and something rhythmic and wonderful happens. I also have two synth sound sources to play on top of the rhythm. Again, put through a PA or even my home stereo, it's room-shaking. Can I create an entire song or style with this setup? No, but that's not exactly the point. For one thing, it's tons of fun. For another, I need a sampler w/sequencer to use these to their max potential. But wow. What I have for just under $200 (DR 110+'trons) is impressive, at least to me. And the hands-on sound creation makes it worthwhile too.

Yes, there are frustrations, but you have to have realistic expectations with prices this low. These things are great for what they are, and they more than earn their keep, as far as I'm concerned. If there's interest, I can post some samples/demos on VSE in the near future. And yes, I am eagerly awaiting something more substantial from KORG in this line of machines. Bring it on. I'm hooked.
Walter Ego

seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)
Walter Ego

Gear: Ass-Burgers, Internet Cookies, Prescription Meth, Coffee and some Korg gear
Band: 12"VS

Postby Phollop Willing PA » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:12 pm

I got a Monotron delay last week and I have to agree with everything you've written here. And to boot - a very well written review.

C'mon $50 folks! Any cheaper and they're giving them away...
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Kronos73/Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18
Phollop Willing PA

Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

PreviousNext

Return to General Synthesizers