more Korg analog - Monotron Duo & Monotron Delay

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Advertisement:

Re: more Korg analog - Monotron Duo & Monotron Delay

Postby bassdude » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:43 am

I've searched for this a bit, and haven't found much. What would it take to combine some monotrons to get a polyphonic synth? Has somebody done this already?
bassdude
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Stab Frenzy » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:45 am

bassdude wrote:I've searched for this a bit, and haven't found much. What would it take to combine some monotrons to get a polyphonic synth? Has somebody done this already?

If you didn't want to do the DIY hack yourself then you need one of these for each voice:

and a polyphonic midi/cv convertor like the Vermona one. Works out cheaper than chaining Dark Energies, but probably isn't worth it for the limited functionality.

eg: for four voices 4 x $240 + $380 = $1340 for the Monotron-Es
or 4 x $625 = $2500 for Dark Energies, costs almost twice as much but you've got a proper ADSR, two LFOs etc.

If you did it with Monotrons and hacked them yourself and used Silent Way to control them you could get the price down pretty low, but still you'd be stuck with a pretty limited synth. You could say it was real analogue though if you're one of those guys that gets a hard on from saying stuff like that.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby bassdude » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:18 pm

Oh, so you need a filter for each individual voice? Bummer. I guess it still might be worth it to make a mono synth out of just one, although that minibrute is pretty cheap.
bassdude
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby cgren72 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:35 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:You could say it was real analogue though if you're one of those guys that gets a hard on from saying stuff like that.

Isnt that what its all about lol. Not for me.
I would enjoy chaining DEs though.
cgren72

Postby bassdude » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:53 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
You could say it was real analogue though if you're one of those guys that gets a hard on from saying stuff like that.

Yeah I dont give a shit about something being all analog or not. It just seemed like it might be the cheapest route to having an analog poly or mono. Guess the minibrute is the best choice for that.
bassdude
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Stab Frenzy » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:18 am

bassdude wrote:Yeah I dont give a shit about something being all analog or not. It just seemed like it might be the cheapest route to having an analog poly or mono.

:?:

Those two sentences directly contradict one another. If you don't care if it's analogue you can get a much better featured, easier to use VA poly for much less.
Stab Frenzy

Postby bassdude » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:28 am

bassdude wrote:
Yeah I dont give a shit about something being ALL analog or not.

My point was that I dont mind if the thing isn't 100% completely analog. I would, however, like to own some sort of analog synth. I'd like to compare it to the VA I already own, and see for myself if analog is really worth shelling out the extra cash for.
bassdude
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Stab Frenzy » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:40 am

Oh OK, apologies for the misunderstanding. My point was that a polysynth of Monotrons would be so cripplingly limited its only virtue would be the fact that it was analogue, and then the only people for whom that would be a virtue would be people who are more interested in if something is analogue on not than what they can do with something.
Stab Frenzy

Postby cgren72 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:04 pm

lol but stabbers, think about how "phatt" it would be :lol:
cgren72

Postby Walter Ego » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:34 pm

resurrecting this thread with promised samples from a while back. nothing to write home about, but a little fun noodling never hurt. ...or did it?...

it's a set, so if you keep listening, it will automatically keep playing the short samples...it's not only one track...

enjoy...

1. square siren
2. theremin
3. tri siren
4. tron tweaking 1 w/DR 110
5. tron tweaking w/ monotron sounds from DELAY
6. tron tweaking w/ monotron sounds from DUO
Walter Ego

seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)
Walter Ego

Gear: Ass-Burgers, Internet Cookies, Prescription Meth, Coffee and some Korg gear
Band: 12"VS

Previous

Return to General Synthesizers