CS6X YAMAHA WORKSTATION

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

CS6X YAMAHA WORKSTATION

Postby michael clarke » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:58 am

Hello vintage synth explorer,

I recently purchased a 6x and was led to believe prior to purchase that I could import
existing cs1x and 2x sound data, because it was backwards compatible with these
machines. I tried to do this as a bulk dump using cubase le but with no success.

can you offer any advise on how to do this the file I was using is sysex data dressed up
as a midi file. only sequence song data can be loaded directly from smart media card so
no joy there..

Have it on good authourity that bulk dump is the way to go.

Please can you offer advise before I go insane, incidentally, do you know where one might
obtain top quality sounds, for the cs6x.

Thanks

Kind regards MIKE

please respond direct to my e-mail address which is michael.clarke12@ntlworld.com (all lower case) Thankyou
michael clarke

Advertisement:

Re: CS6X YAMAHA WORKSTATION

Postby Hugo76 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:43 pm

I don't think it is backwards compatible, because the cs6x has a larger and much improved sound set. If I'm not mistaken, the cs6x is more comparable to the Ex5 ROM-wise.
Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby adamstan » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:18 pm

Hugo76 wrote:I don't think it is backwards compatible, because the cs6x has a larger and much improved sound set. If I'm not mistaken, the cs6x is more comparable to the Ex5 ROM-wise.

CS6x isn't compatible with 1 and 2. It's compatible with S30/S80. AFAIK it has same or very similar waveset, but different presets, and has sampler.
Living in the '80s ;-)
adamstan

Gear: Yamaha DX7IIFD, MO6, QY-70, PSR-S750, PSR-2000, TYROS, Electone D85, Electone E50, DIY polysynth, KORG Poly61

Postby meatballfulton » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:09 pm

CS2x can load CS1x patches, that's it as far as digital CS patch compatibility.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby Zamise » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:11 pm

I believe the 6x takes plg cards, look in to them. If you can get an AN-plg for your 6x then you probably won't want anything to do with the CS1x or 2x sounds. If you want to do bulk dumping try Bome's SendX, but I'd be leery of trying to import CS1x or 2x patches to it and stick to ones known to already work exclusively with the 6x.
Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Postby Hugo76 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:31 pm

Maybe it is possible to import cs1x and 2x patches if the plg-xg board is installed? Just a thought, although I agree it's probably better to steer clear of the 1x and 2x patches - unless of course there's a particular reason for wanting them, such as having previously owned one of them and have a collection of old patches.
Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby adamstan » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:33 am

Hugo76 wrote:Maybe it is possible to import cs1x and 2x patches if the plg-xg board is installed?

No. Cs1x and Cs2x have additional waves beyond the standard XG set. AFAIK CS1x has 2M XG set (similar to MU50, QY70 etc) and 2.5M of additional waveforms.
Living in the '80s ;-)
adamstan

Gear: Yamaha DX7IIFD, MO6, QY-70, PSR-S750, PSR-2000, TYROS, Electone D85, Electone E50, DIY polysynth, KORG Poly61

Postby meatballfulton » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:18 pm

The PLG100-XG card can only be used for sequencing. It's a 32 voice, 16 part XG synth that responds on it's own MIDI port (thanks to some Yamaha MIDI magic).

Each PLG boards adds a complete synthesizers that can be played alone or layered with CS6x sounds:

PG150-AN 5 voice VA (uses AN1x engine)
PLG150-DX 16 voice DX7-II synth
PG150-DR 32 voices of sampled drums
PLG150-PC 32 voices of sampled percussion
PLG150-PF 32 voices of various sampled piano, organ, clavinet sounds
PLG150-AP 64 voices of one high-grade sampled Yamaha acoustic piano
PLG150-VL monophonic physical modeling synth (based on VL-70 engine)
PLG100-VH effects processor does harmonies, pitch shifting, pseudo-vocoding

There's also the rare Japan-only PLG100-SG formant synthesizer; uses FS1R technology to create "singing voices". A real weird one!!!

There is no way to get CS1x/CS2x sounds into a CS6x, period.

If you are looking for more CS6x sounds, a few places to try:

Easysounds third party patch developer
JayB's Patches (video demo with link to free patch set)
CS6X Yahoo Group (appears to be inactive but has downloads)
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Postby Zamise » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:52 pm

meatballfulton wrote:There is no way to get CS1x/CS2x sounds into a CS6x, period.

Well there is one way, the 6x does do sampling too right? I presume that would come with its own set of issues, limitations, and pains in the arse that probably isn't exactly what OP wants, but it could be done if it hasn't already. Maybe there is a CS1X and 2x sample library out there that can be loaded in to the 6x's sample banks. Seems so redundant tho, ya know? If they all already have at least some of the same pcm waveforms in common on their AWM2s, however I know yamaha don't always exactly give access to that part of their synths that would allow you to pick and choose which elements you want in a voice like some other brands of pcm based synthesizers.
Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Postby meatballfulton » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:41 pm

The CS6x allows full editing which the CS1x and CS2x do not.

I'm guessing the O.P. has heard some patches on the CS1/2x that he likes and hasn't found similar sounds (yet) on the CS6x.

You still there, Mike....have we answered your questions yet?
meatballfulton

Postby oneofthegooddays » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:35 pm

Can anyone tell me does the AN-card plugged into CS6x sound anything like AN1x ? I have AN1x and compared to that AN200 (=AN-PLG card) sound is kind of a disappointment. I would have sold AN200 but the data knob is starting to act weird.
oneofthegooddays

Gear: Shiny stone

Postby Hugo76 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:39 pm

oneofthegooddays wrote:Can anyone tell me does the AN-card plugged into CS6x sound anything like AN1x ? I have AN1x and compared to that AN200 (=AN-PLG card) sound is kind of a disappointment. I would have sold AN200 but the data knob is starting to act weird.

AFAIK, the sound generator inside the AN200 is in fact the AN plug in card.
Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby oneofthegooddays » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:43 pm

Yes but the ADACs or whatever on AN200 are not that good and the sound is kind of boring...
oneofthegooddays

Gear: Shiny stone

Return to General Synthesizers