Arturia MiniBrute - analog monosynth

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Re: Arturia MiniBrute - analog monosynth

Postby loungedumore » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:20 am

Though the compositions in the demo's were not of my melodic tastes it seamed to show a decent range of it's timbre's capabilities for me to say it's got a sound I would enjoy working with . Other than checking out the build quality I'm sold , but hey to each their own .... If I were more cynical ( weird that I'm not ) I guess I would have to ask if the sounds in the demo ( the "music video one " ) were in fact from the mini brute .
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media
loungedumore

Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Advertisement:

Postby ColorForm2113 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:38 am

hopefully there will be a module version of this down the line to pair up with this guy (More VCOs!) really looking forward to this little monster...need to clean out the couch cushions and see what i can save up lol
My modular so far: Q104, Q106, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M (x2 STEREO!) Beat Step and Volca Beats
ColorForm2113

Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Postby lazerface » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:39 am

perhaps they will do micromoog/multimoog kinda family of synths..

either way..this is quite tempting.
lazerface

Gear: Tempest, JX3P, Pro-One, Roland Gaia, Monotribe
Band: Solaires

Postby Xces » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:11 am

lazerface wrote:perhaps they will do micromoog/multimoog kinda family of synths..

That would be an excellent idea
Xces

Band: Solo works: Xces

Postby Neonlights84 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:24 am

Another much appreciated step in the right direction. At this price point, it will be hard to resist. I am quite smitten with the Steiner-Parker filter, and that is just one feature.
Gear: Novation Ultranova, Korg Monotribe, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, Lexicon MX200.
Neonlights84

Band: New Veaux

Postby sequentialsoftshock » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:25 am

Kidney05 wrote:is this guy insane, or is it really not fair to compare a minitaur and minibrute? or am i getting trolled?
http://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/co ... og/c3igsj5

Now you're trolling here. :lol:
bonne chance
sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Postby iProg » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:24 am

Finally a modern analog hardware monosynth with multimode filter, sine wave LFO, Kick-ass filter and hands-on tweaking. I'm forming a new band just because of this!
iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Postby iProg » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:30 am

I'm gonna cv-connect this with the Oberheim SEM and just go 2 osc bandpass-insane!
iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Postby tekkentool » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:39 am

Kidney05 wrote:i posted this on reddit and some guy ridiculed me for comparing it to the minitaur and saying it's not fair to compare all analog synths under $1000. WHAT? the point of comparing things is that you can see the difference-- a 600 dollar moog to a 550/500 analog monosynth is as fair as comparisons go. really awesome price point on that synth, btw...

Oh fucking forget about reddit. /r/wearethemusicmakers drives me fucking bonkers, never seen a more Anti-Music music board in my entire life. I love reddit but I never go there over music making or synthesizers, really.

/r/edmproduction is nice and cozy though :).
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Postby masstronaut » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:14 pm

In the Arturia video they make a point of the LFO rate going from "very slow to the sub-audio range". Ooh, sub-audio. ;)

Seriously though, it would be good if the LFOs could go really fast but it looks like maybe they don't.
masstronaut

Postby Music Maven » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:35 pm

I realize that it's hard to make a judgement call about the sound of a synth on the basis of a single YouTube video and a handful of streaming-quality patch demos.

But nothing that I have heard so far on the Arturia site really stands out. It's not that the MiniBrute sounds bad. It just doesn't sound particularly analog/warm/fat/deep to me - the MiniBrute sounds more like a Virus (which isn't a bad thing).

So I'll stick with my Pro One, Waldorf Pulse and analog polys. Actually, I'll be replacing my Pulse 1 with the new Pulse 2 when it comes out. That looks to be a wicked cool synth (assuming it sounds as good as its predecessor).
Music Maven

Postby polar69 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:56 pm

I wonder if all those knobs and sliders send midi cc's as well, that would be cool
polar69

Gear: An1x CS1x Rm1x MPD24 Stylophone Zoom gfx100 Reason Reaper

Postby aredj » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:26 pm

I wonder if the CV outs are midi to CV outs...
aredj

Gear: A little bit of E-muAccessJomoxKorg -
Spectralis2!

Postby pricklyrobot » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:33 pm

aredj wrote:I wonder if the CV outs are midi to CV outs...
Yeah, I was wondering that as well. You'd think they'd also be hyping it as a MIDI-to-CV converter if they were, but who knows.

As far as the small keyboard, which I've dealt with on my Nord Mod G1, I just wish when they did them that small they'd include some provision for octave-switching via footswitch, rather than just the buttons.

Overall, this thing looks pretty damned cool though.
Nord Mod G1 -- Arturia MiniBrute -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Roland V-Synth, JV-1080 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop -- 8 modules (and counting) o' Eurocrack
pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby elmosexwhistle » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:13 pm

pricklyrobot wrote:
aredj wrote:I wonder if the CV outs are midi to CV outs...
Yeah, I was wondering that as well. You'd think they'd also be hyping it as a MIDI-to-CV converter if they were, but who knows.

As far as the small keyboard, which I've dealt with on my Nord Mod G1, I just wish when they did them that small they'd include some provision for octave-switching via footswitch, rather than just the buttons.

Overall, this thing looks pretty damned cool though.

Yeah, there's a midi to CV converter on there, you can use it to drive another synth (i'm assuming it's V/Oct and not Hz/V so no CS15/MS20 action) i was gonna get a doepfer dark energy to drive my mono/poly, however, i'm gonna get this baby now, mainly as i feel it covers more sonic territory than the dark energy what with the brute factor and the SYNTHACON MULTIMODE FILTER, yum yum yum. Can even run my mono/poly's output into the audio in to create 4 osc bandpass/hipass effects, oh yes :)
elmosexwhistle
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Band: Elmo Sexwhistle

PreviousNext

Return to General Synthesizers