Arturia MiniBrute - analog monosynth

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Re: Arturia MiniBrute - analog monosynth

Postby Bitexion » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:58 pm

I believe there is a "initial level" on the VCA that can override the VCA, just like a modular synth has.
So when you forcibly LFO the VCA level, it affects the initial level and you can hear the synth without pressing a key.
I'm betting you can adjust this initial level with a knob too, and just hear a forever droning waveform?
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Advertisement:

Postby CZ Rider » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:50 pm

Zamise wrote:I just got my replacement. Only had it for a few mins, not as good as AGs vid but here:

Thanks for posting. When I first watched that video, I thought the envelopes were broken. But after trying myself, I can repeat the same locked condition too. Had mine for several weeks and never noticed, but you can lock-up or latch the envelopes with a quick trigger. This only happens on the "slow" envelope setting, but even with all the envelope sliders in the down position, I can get the envelopes in a locked/latched state. Kind of like getting them in-between stages. I was able to repeat this with the keyboard, fast arp, and a fast external LFO into the gate input. Just set all envelope controls down, set ENV speed at slow, and a really quick staccato on the keyboard will latch the envelopes. So would be a design flaw/feature of this particular envelope generator. Not the keyboard, and no defect. Perhaps Arturia is aware of this and making a revision change? Seems like a diode might fix it as there is some backfeeding from the one EG to the other. FWIW, the old Moog 911 envelopes can go into a locked/latched state too, by sending to many consecutive rapid triggers. Never was a problem for me and easy to avoid. Interesting though!

The VCA thing is just the way they all work. An oscillator is always producing a constant tone. And via the envelope sent to the VCA, gives the effect of the oscillator starting, stopping, or fading away. Normally at zero volts nothing passes through the VCA. As soon as you apply voltage to the VCA it begins to pass signal. So by sending a voltage from an LFO, it passes signal acording to the waveform on the LFO. The filter has a similar effect in some modes. In lowpass mode, turned all the way down little or nothing passes through, even if the VCA is wide open. So the filter down will also restrict the signal ending up at VCA. And to further complicate things, the Minibrute, has more than one way of self oscillating with either filter resonance turned up, and/or the brutefactor cranked up, giving more than the one signal from the mixer/oscillator going to the VCA.
CZ Rider

Postby Zamise » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:41 pm

So the one I got is behaving normally, or like the rest of them. Good to know, thanks guys. I really did not want to have to send a second one back.
Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Postby Push-Pull » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:34 pm

Zamise wrote:I just got my replacement.

What was the problem with the first one ?

EDIT:
Ok, I've found your older posts.
Last edited by Push-Pull on Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
The making of my modular... (ok it's in french, but the pictures are easy to understand !)
Push-Pull

Postby GuyaGuy » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:04 am

I got mine yesterday and it is pretty damn awesome. Unfortunately I might have to send it back to the eBay seller. I have the Release stick issue but more importantly the Ultrawave rate knob doesn't work.
GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Gear: YES PLEASE!

Postby Bitexion » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:42 am

These latest posts are very useful, now I will demand to try the unit out before I buy it, and check for all these little things. I'm glad I didn't order one online.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular

Postby dswo » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:33 pm

From the Arturia forum, a couple of notes about availability and reliability: http://www.arturia.com/evolution/smf/in ... pic=6897.0 Scroll down to the last post, from Bruno@arturia.

While I'm posting links, there are also long threads on this topic at:

1. http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electron ... te-65.html

2. http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewto ... 7aee5d5e14

3. http://forum.anafrog.com/phpBB/viewtopi ... start=1340

Yusynth is a contributor to thread #3.
dswo

Postby jaypodesta » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:33 pm

Just found my receipt for my deposit - 26th January. This has to be one of the most delayed synth pre orders ever, right? For a synth that actually had working prototypes.

I can't remember how long my patch point SEM took but this is pretty bonkers.
jaypodesta

Postby Z » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:32 pm

jaypodesta wrote:Just found my receipt for my deposit - 26th January. This has to be one of the most delayed synth pre orders ever, right? For a synth that actually had working prototypes.

I can't remember how long my patch point SEM took but this is pretty bonkers.

Hmm... I've been waiting a year and a half for a $4000 Solaris. I'm enjoying my MiniBrute, though.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby jaypodesta » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:46 pm

Did think of the Solaris when I wrote "working prototype".

There wasn't a Solaris prototype if I remember rightly? There were lots of different colourways on the CGi mock ups.
jaypodesta

Postby Bitexion » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:51 pm

I heard people have been waiting for the solaris since 2005. So we've still got a way to go :)
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular

Postby Z » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:56 pm

I think the Solaris was first pitched in 2008 and I remember considering ordering one in 2009. There's been working prototypes for at least a couple of years. The first 3 dozen or so units have already shipped. Last year when when I found out there were some units available from the original 100 unit pre-sale, I placed my order. I was assigned a serial number in the 90s, but an email from JB a few months ago said I was bumped up to the 60s. Hopefully, my unit will be with the next 3 dozen units that should be ready late fall.

OK, back to the regularly scheduled MiniBrute thread.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby kvnvk » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:37 am

so apparently the delivery of the second batch of Minibrutes has been pushed back yet again to the first week in November. could be a planned move to coincide with the holiday shopping season, OR...

kvnvk

Postby Bitexion » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:16 am

Second batch..where was the first batch?

Kind of funny that not even actual retailers (music stores) can get a complete answer from Arturia themselves.
They just don't reply. And they have to contact the scandinavian importer, who don't really know anything either except they're delayed, but they "might come within 2 weeks". So they move their "unconfirmed date" a few weeks more ahead on the webpage. *sigh*
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular

Postby Stab Frenzy » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:09 am

Bitexion wrote:Second batch..where was the first batch?

It sold out with preorders in February.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

PreviousNext

Return to General Synthesizers