Arp 2600 / upgrades?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Arp 2600 / upgrades?

Postby Ohm's Law » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:13 am

Hi all.

Curious how everyone feels about "upgrades" to old synths / the Arp 2600.

Found a few threads online talking about replacing the LM301 opamps with something like a LF-411. Thoughts?

A few places offer upgrades for 2600s. Guessing it's something similar. ?

:?:
Moog Prodigy, Moog MG-1, Moog Liberation, Roland Juno 60, Roland SH-101, Roland MKS-80 super Jupiter, Roland SH-3a, Roland JX-305, Roland Sh-32,
Korg MS-10, Nord Micro Modular, Casio CZ-101, Univox Maxi-Korg, Yamha CS-01.
Ohm's Law

Advertisement:

Re: Arp 2600 / upgrades?

Postby Synthacon » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:20 pm

I have had a few 2600's, the last one of which got the full CMS upgrade to the signal path. Changing out op amps etc can be fine, along with re capping as well. The 2600 can have numerous mods done to it to make it better. It is down to you if you decide they enhance the synth or detract from it. In some collectors eyes only an untouched unit is worth good money, so the choice is yours.

I am getting a new toy next month that has some mods and in my eyes it has enhanced the original ;)
You always want just one more Synth!
Synthacon

Gear: Hard and Soft Synths

Postby Don T » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:19 am

Last edited by Don T on Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don Taylor

Master of no trades, practitioner of many.
(Basically, this means I know just enough about a lot of things to get myself in real trouble)
Don T
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Roland SH-09, Korg Polysix, Moog Rogue, Realistic MG-1, Paia Fatman, Korg Monotron, and of course, my main instrument: Trumpet!

Postby Explorer » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:55 pm

http://www.discretesynthesizers.com/arp ... rp2600.htm

Website from Phil Cirocco.
Nice overview on the mods and prices.
Explorer

Postby pflosi » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:34 pm

Don T wrote:That said, I've done some heavy-duty audio path upgrades in a Yamaha SK-15, and a Korg Polysix. In the Polysix, the change was quite noticeable, giving the sound a bit more "life" (better response from the filters, and a less constricted sound from the oscillators).

Interesting, what did you do exactly? Replace all op-amps and recapping? Anything else?

Thanks!
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Postby shaft9000 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:15 pm

a nice mod is to replace the hardwired Noise input to a PWM amount slider for osc 1 and osc 3. if your tech is savvy he can do it pretty easily, and with no drilling or changes to the panel. my tech also replaced the tuning offset on the old keyboard to an LFO control w/ jacks out. this opens up osc two for other uses as it is no longer the sole symmetrical LFO on the 2600.

my tech was Kurt's Keyboard Repair in Prescott AZ
in addition to the above mods i got a new PSU, a filter rebuild, input/preamp repair, key bushing replacement, keyboard resistor replacement, exponential/linear portamento mod to get response as fast as a mini, a new fitted keyboard cable, and full recap for a little over a grand. i transported the 2600 myself.
i didn't go to CMS because of expense, the wait queue and his 'no compromise' approach to the audio path that I don't necessarily agree makes it sound any better. i LIKE the dirty cheap op-amps; it's part of it's character!

it's a crazy-powerful machine now - all design shortcomings have been resolved, with minimal to no perceivable cosmetic alteration - it's the jewel of the studio!
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies
shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: ZF synchromesh 6-speed manual transmission

Postby schmidtc » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:29 am

shaft9000 wrote: my tech also replaced the tuning offset on the old keyboard to an LFO control w/ jacks out.

Cool. What sort of control. . . speed / waveshape? Did it's range expand at all?
schmidtc

Postby Don T » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:44 am

Last edited by Don T on Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don Taylor

(Basically, this means I know just enough about a lot of things to get myself in real trouble)
Don T
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Roland SH-09, Korg Polysix, Moog Rogue, Realistic MG-1, Paia Fatman, Korg Monotron, and of course, my main instrument: Trumpet!

Postby pflosi » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:01 am

Cool, thanks. Keep us updated ;)
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Postby Sir Ruff » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:22 pm

Don T wrote:For me, it depends on the synth, and which parts of the synth you choose to upgrade. I usually won't mess with something that is actually generating sound, but I experiment sometimes with audio path upgrades.

I keep thinking my xpander would really benefit from this, but the jury seems kind of out on how much of an improvement can be made.
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Postby Don T » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:16 am

Last edited by Don T on Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don Taylor

Don T
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby madtheory » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:42 am

You can already cut holes in walls with the XPander, so I would think there is not much room for "improvement"!
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Fabreeze, Buck Owens Moog, Korg Warlock 9000, Roland Sultan of Brunei, Moog Ribald Cat.
Band: madtheory

Postby atkbg » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:28 pm

Don T wrote: In my opinion, the 4558 is possibly the worst opamp for any audio path job.

Would you mind telling which opamp you replaced it with? And, do you do this with most 1458/4558s in the audio path?
atkbg

Postby madtheory » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:42 pm

If it was a 741 that's easy, there are pin for pin compatible replacements that are improved in areas that do not affect over all circuit design. But with a more complex device like the 4558 it's impossible to answer that question without considering the circuit involved.

I think he was saying that he simply bypassed it in the Yamaha. I have a hard time believing that Yamaha didn't think of that, there's likely a very good reason that it's in there. Without the buffer there is loading which will mess with bandwidth and create new distortion. The question is- is the cure worse than the cause? The answer is probably subjective.

Hard/expensive to beat the old 5532 but it's not trivial to swop opamps. You really need to know very well the design of the circuit you're modifying. It could well be that the 4558 was the best choice at the time and the whole circuit is built around its characteristics. Get it wrong and you could easily have more noise, and spurious oscillation.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Fabreeze, Buck Owens Moog, Korg Warlock 9000, Roland Sultan of Brunei, Moog Ribald Cat.
Band: madtheory

Postby Sir Ruff » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:07 pm

madtheory wrote:You can already cut holes in walls with the XPander, so I would think there is not much room for "improvement"!

No, there definitely is... It suffers from a grungy quality that makes low-end stuff sound muddy, and high end stuff sort of muffled. Sounds quality is just not quite there. Part of that could simply be aging caps, so I've often wondered if recapping the lot would help. A colleague did that to his, and the results were palpable (though it was hard to make an objective judgment since I couldn't compare his to mine).
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Next

Return to General Synthesizers