A6 Andromeda users, where are you?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

A6 Andromeda users, where are you?

Postby m127 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:50 am

UPDATE:
Very well A6ers, here is the idea. I agree that it's better to lay it down already, and see where it leads us to.

If you don't like it, I beg you to spare the guy with the initiative!

The details and further suggestions are being discussed in the A6 mailing list (here: http://lists.soulrebels.com/listinfo.cg ... rebels.com).
I am happy to report only surprising enthusiasm and positiveness so far over there, and we are already on our way.

Hope to have your support and set a good precedent together.

Here it is:
m127 (Ivan) via email on the a6 mailing list
OK, guys.

I guess to expedite and to not hold your breaths longer than necessary and risk putting your expectations too high, maybe I will just unveil the idea now.

The objective is this: to get a professional developer to create the a6 librarian/editor our synth deserves> standalone, Mac/W-compatible, including all functions considered standard in pro librarian/editor (as much as the a6’s MIDI implementation permits).

My approach to make it happen is this: Basically, the idea came from observing the same question over and over in different forums and communities: where can I get a pro A6 editor/librarian? In digging more, I saw many attempts have been made and usually those were medium to very low quality results compared to what a synth such as the a6 deserves.

So I thought: how come we don’t have a professional one? From my findings in talking directly to some developers, I realized they were hesitant from the low direct requests AND because when they were proactively interested, the a6 was simply NOT ready for it (remember how the MIDI implementation was one of the major shortcomings of the initial OSs?) Long story short, I have been in talks with a couple of pro reputable developers, and they showed genuine initial interest when I told them that we could gather at least 100 interested licensees for version 1. Let’s be realistic, who would want to take the risk to develop such product for a discontinued hw synth just like that?

So my idea to approach this obstacle is: that we create together a win-win situation both for us (getting the pro editor-librarian that we want and need) and for them (securing a minimally juicy initial user base of 100 users and the rights over the sw for future maintenance and marketing, etc.) Thus, this is not a for-profit initiative for us (especially not for me for the sake of honesty), we just want a GREAT librarian at the very least… and so I took the initiative to talk to devs and to rally for your attention, which is why we are talking about this now . I know there may be better ways and what not, but without initiative and driven will there is nothing really, and we all know there was indeed nothing going on for our a6 since the dismal product discontinuation was announced.

Finally for now, in talking to these developers, they think my suggestion to rally for a committed and guaranteed initial user base of at least 100 licensees so that they see the project is financially feasible IS A GOOD ONE and I have their initial interest, and so it’s up to us to show unity and genuine, honest interest for this project.

So, before we go any further, I would like to ask you directly 2 things for which an answer would be very appreciated:
1. Would you like to see a professional librarian or editor or both as much as I would?
2. Would you be willing to help me rally for the initial 100 licensees target AND be one of them, which already is sweet sounding to the ears of potential devs?

If my idea seems stupid to you, I apologize (please spare the guy with the initiative!!) However, I assure you it has been well received by potential pro devs and I truly think the 100 licensee target could be easily attainable if we pull together.

I am one of those willing to even provide the funds for 3 licenses myself for the sake of seeing this positive project taking off the ground. Of course, I never agreed to pay for the full license in advance in my proposal to them. My thought was that they could get inspired even with a 50% down payment just to show our seriousness, which should be more than enough, and we can even negotiate this further with WHOEVER developer we all want to work with for this project, once we start laying down the options.

For now, let me know your responses to those 2 questions guys, and thanks much for your attention and patience. Hope this was not uberlong email, I tried to be as concise and informative as possible.

Ivan.

OP:
Hey Alesis Andromeda users,

I am trying to gather at least 100 users for an idea that will definitely benefit this synth's users specifically...
More details over at Gearslutz in this thread:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electron ... ost7642703

If you are an A6 user or know any A6 users, please chime in there. Thanks!
Last edited by m127 on Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
we know who's in and who's not
m127

Band: m127

Advertisement:

Re: A6 Andromeda users, where are you?

Postby pflosi » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:35 am

Ah here the link works :)

Well, I have an A6, but I'm not registering for gearslutz just to post "I have one" there. Not before I know what this is about.

A new OS update would be awesome though. I'd have tons of ideas what one could do. I doubt Alesis would give out the code though, guess it would need some serious reverse engineering...
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Postby m127 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:43 am

Sounds good, thanks for chiming in.
Maybe I could keep two lists of users for a total number.
hope we can get over a hundred users.
I will disclose if we can gather enough users. kindly be patient. thanks!
m127

Postby griffin avid » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:55 am

What he said. Whadda ya want?

many of us are hoping for a proper librarian app that does more than shuffle the banks.
I have the A6 banker and um ...Midi Quest but I would like a soft editor with simple drag and drop functionality.

Vyzor (psicraft) has been promising an A6 app for over a decade.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com
griffin avid
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby Yekuku » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:44 am

It would be interesting to see some OS improvements, I would gladly participate in such a project.
Editor / librarian for A6 would be cool but it is not my interest.
It is all about sharing...
Yekuku

Gear: dk'tronics speech synthesizer :P

Postby pflosi » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:46 am

Yeah just keep two lists, would also be great if you updated this thread with new info (not only the one on GS).
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Postby griffin avid » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:11 pm

I will disclose if we can gather enough users. kindly be patient. thanks!

Makes no sense. You're banking on 100 Andy users BEING ACTIVE on a forum in whatever window/time span you've decided on.
Why? Why do you even need a hundred users? If you are planning on investing your time and resources into an A6 project, you have to assume that it will spread by word of mouth OVER TIME.

http://electro-music.com/forum/

This is another forum with A6ers on it. And there is an Andromeda sub-forum.
Again, you are hoping that EVERY A6 owner is STILL lurking around and checking in.

To be honest, I'll flip out if you.....

Are making an Andromeda VST....
Yet another database with specs and pictures....
An online user gallery......
a set of your patches/banks
A collection of serial numbers.... :(

We know you're not making or releasing an OS update so what might need my support is....

Oh no, you are going to start a petition for Alesis [Numark] to ask for more resources/attention/support for a discontinued synth with the original development team disbanded so.... :(

Yes, I'm being a pain on purpose.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com
griffin avid
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby garranimal » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:09 pm

I think this undisclosed idea reeks of flash-mob art installation shenanigans.

As well, the A6 has one of the most comprehensive hands-on programming interfaces around is extremely fast and intuitive for those familiar. Don't think it needs a programming editor. Leave that to the Alpha-Junos and Microns.
garranimal
Expert Member
Expert Member

Band: G-Strom Electro

Postby m127 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:59 pm

there is absolutely no harm in counting A6ers.

I just don't want to disclose my idea yet precisely to avoid negativity, and because the plan is useless if we can't gather enough users.

When we gather all the ingredients, I will disclose the idea, and you are obviously free to opt in or out. No harm at all. Thanks for your patience.
m127

Postby b3groover » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:38 am

I don't have a gearslutz account but I do own an Andromeda.
b3groover

Band: THEO

Postby m127 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:41 am

b3groover wrote:I don't have a gearslutz account but I do own an Andromeda.

thanks!

Hope more users chime in.
m127

Postby shaft9000 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:50 am

i'm up yer butt and around the corner :headbang:
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies
shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: 'ho

Postby phesago » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:58 am

shaft9000 wrote:i'm up yer butt and around the corner :headbang:

Youre my hero for this week
Time for updates: pro-1 x2, Xpander, 808, mopho, SEM, PolyE, Voyager, Fr-Revo x2, XS, DRM MK3, KP3x2, mf104z x2, mf105m, mf103, space/time-factor, t3, nord g1..(plus other effects/sequencers/samplers and other shit).
phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Postby Alex E » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:35 am

I have 9.
soundcloud.com/vectron

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alpha Juno 2, Live 8, iMac MC309XX/A

Postby n3wt15 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:43 am

Traded mine about a year ago, but a good friend of mine still has it, used to be owned by AH-HA!

I will get another someday though
n3wt15

Gear: a never ending cycle of ins and outs
Band: Armageddon Party

Next

Return to General Synthesizers