Yamaha CS80's "wiggling" keys?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Re: Yamaha CS80's "wiggling" keys?

Postby synthparts » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:29 am

bassdude wrote:So the keys on the CS80 do in fact move side to side? And there are no modern keyboards that have this feature?

No despite the of discussion about Yamaha organs that had it the CS80 did not.
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com
synthparts

Advertisement:

Postby Steve Jones » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:58 am

bassdude wrote:So the keys on the CS80 do in fact move side to side? And there are no modern keyboards that have this feature?

No, CS-80 aftertouch is from downward force.
Synthesizer service tech since 1982.
Synth parts and service, Sydney Australia.

http://www.synthrepairs.com
Steve Jones

Postby dr funk » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:35 pm

bassdude wrote:And there are no modern keyboards that have this feature?

Well, if you feel adventurous and have the space, you could pick up one of the late '70s Yamaha organs with touch vibrato. I have an E70 and it's monstrous! Got it for £200 (from the UK). The touch vibrato is very expressive, and when it's recorded from its line out, it sounds much more like a CS synth than an organ.

Frank
dr funk

Postby bassdude » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:57 am

Thanks guys for finally answering my initial question. The CS80's keys do not, in fact, move from side to side. What a bummer....
bassdude
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby rhino » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:28 am

Back in the mid-60's many Yamaha home organs had a "watered-down" feature like this. Sliding the keybed about 1/8" either way triggered the vibrato. but there was no direct motion-to-pitch control.
"A thing may seem impossible...until it's done."
--Nelson Mandela
rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Postby SubliminalEffect » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:42 pm

when i saw the title of this thread, i couldn't help thinking of that old Keyboard magazine interview with Brian Eno where he (mistakenly) mentions a Yamaha synthesizer with these "wobbling" keys.

For instance, there's a Yamaha synthesizer whose keyboard wobbles from side to side to make a vibrato effect. [Ed. Note: Eno is probably referring to the Yamaha YC-45D organ.] I don't own one of those, but I'm always hiring one in the studio just because I love the effect. When I go back to a normal keyboard, I find myself shaking my fingers in the same way, expecting to get vibrato. Now, I looked at the circuit for that, and it's so incredibly simple! I can't understand why it has never been used on any other keyboard instrument. Maybe they patented it - but even if they did, I can think of six other ways to do that. That's such a simple thing, but most synthesizer designers have overlooked it. They won't deal with something that's as mechanical, rather than electronic, as that. But that's the kind of thing I really would appreciate in a synthesizer - some sense of physical activity making a difference to how the thing responded. That happens with every other instrument, after all. The piano less than most, I suppose, but with most instruments your physical stance does make a difference in how the thing sounds. The whole point of using effects devices is to try to reintroduce those idiosyncracies into the sound, to take the sound out of the realm of the real. I'll put any amount of junk in a long line after my synthesizer to see what will happen to it.
SubliminalEffect

Previous

Return to General Synthesizers