Have Arturia kinda missed their chance with the Minibrute?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Re: Have Arturia kinda missed their chance with the Minibrut

Postby meatballfulton » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:19 pm

Having been there at the time, the MS-20 was not a big success for Korg 35 years ago. Moog and ARP ruled the monosynth market and the Prophet 5 was the polysynth to own.

Ten years later Korg sold over a quarter of a million M1 workstations, eclipsing the 200,000+ DX7's sold by Yamaha. Korg, ARP and Sequential were gone.

Total sales of the MiniMoog over it's decade in manufacture was only 12,000. This was considered a huge success compared to modular sales.

Think about it.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Advertisement:

Postby DLovas » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:34 pm

Good points. I guess really I'm just disappointed they haven't released anything that I was interested in. Didn't realize they sold that many workstations!
Hardware: Ensoniq Fizmo | Roland JP-8000
Software: FL Studio | Zebra2 | Sylenth1
DLovas
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: RED MIDI Cables
BLUE MIDI Cables
Band: RingGalaxy

Postby volumetrik » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:22 pm

meatballfulton wrote:Total sales of the MiniMoog over it's decade in manufacture was only 12,000. This was considered a huge success compared to modular sales.

Think about it.

During that decade there were no such genres that are around today, also you could combine the total of Moog Voyager/OS last time I heard 35,000 voyagers were sold.
volumetrik

Postby GuyaGuy » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:00 pm

DLovas wrote:
GuyaGuy wrote:I think Korg missed their chance when they stopped making the MS-20 in 1983. Just think of the THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS they could have been making selling those between then and now. But no, people had to buy DX-7s and MiniBrutes to tide them over.

I do agree with this. While one would argue that they were successful in aiming their products towards a more beginner type audience / tweakers (Kaossilators - MicroKorg), I think in the long run they should have stuck with full on workhorse synths like the MS-20. I'm at least glad to see them returning to the market with synths like the King Korg.

Oh I was just being a sarcastic bastard. Don't mind me.
GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Gear: YES PLEASE!

Postby meatballfulton » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:26 pm

volumetrik wrote:During that decade there were no such genres that are around today, also you could combine the total of Moog Voyager/OS last time I heard 35,000 voyagers were sold.

What genres? I know some people like to break EM down into stuff like dubstep, trance, minimal, moombahcore, etc. but I find it hard to consider all those separate genres simply because the identifying characteristics are so stupid...i.e. major key vs. minor key, BPM ranges, wobbles, using a 303, etc. Will listeners leave a club on trance night if the DJ throws in some ambient or dubstep? If so, listeners are even dumber than I thought :shock:

35K Voyagers sold shows that the synth market is much bigger today than it was in the 1970s. Considering how ubiquitous the Mini was on stages in the 70s and 80s, does that mean we now have 3x+ as many bands today or is all the growth in the hobbyist market?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby Automatic Gainsay » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:39 pm

There were no electronic genres in the 70s. There was just rock and derivations of rock.
Still true, largely... but don't tell anyone.

As for the MiniBrute:

Totally different architecture and sound than with the MS-20. Totally valid sound and functionality which is extremely complex and usable.

As for the MS-20:
It is not modular. It is kind of semi-modular.
This is not to say that it doesn't have some fun applications, of course. :)
The strength of the MS-20 lies in its general architecture, unique and recognizable filter arrangement, and the ESP.

Two different synths, both really usable.

No missed chances.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Minimoog, ARP 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, Dubreq S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Hohner Pianet T, Wurlitzer 7300, Wurlitzer 145-A.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Postby DLovas » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:22 pm

GuyaGuy wrote:Oh I was just being a sarcastic bastard. Don't mind me.

Haha
Hardware: Ensoniq Fizmo | Roland JP-8000
Software: FL Studio | Zebra2 | Sylenth1
DLovas
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: RED MIDI Cables
BLUE MIDI Cables
Band: RingGalaxy

Postby Walter Ego » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:43 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:Two different synths, both really usable.

No missed chances.

:thumbleft:

redchapterjubilee wrote:I figure it this way. With the $1000 you could have spent last year on an MS-10 you can now (with discounts) buy a MiniBrute and an MS-20 Mini and have two completely different flavors of analog. To think there can only be one $500 analog at a time is missing the point.

:thumbright:
Walter Ego
Walter Ego

Gear: A lot more gear than I would have if I wasn't a member of this forum...
Band: 12"VS

Postby volumetrik » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:05 am

meatballfulton wrote:
volumetrik wrote:During that decade there were no such genres that are around today, also you could combine the total of Moog Voyager/OS last time I heard 35,000 voyagers were sold.

What genres? I know some people like to break EM down into stuff like dubstep, trance, minimal, moombahcore, etc. but I find it hard to consider all those separate genres simply because the identifying characteristics are so stupid...i.e. major key vs. minor key, BPM ranges, wobbles, using a 303, etc. Will listeners leave a club on trance night if the DJ throws in some ambient or dubstep? If so, listeners are even dumber than I thought :shock:

35K Voyagers sold shows that the synth market is much bigger today than it was in the 1970s. Considering how ubiquitous the Mini was on stages in the 70s and 80s, does that mean we now have 3x+ as many bands today or is all the growth in the hobbyist market?

ok I just thought it was a bit silly to gauge Minimoogs success and sales numbers and comparing them to a workstation when all the digital hype was going on, part of the reason why DX7 was so successful because it was so NEW but after 5 years it was dead

you could think of it like this, when Minimoog first appeared people were like "what the hell is that?" you could say that that went on for a few years after its release, synths were harder to sell at first, so you could say that the first decade of analog synths they were pretty much just establishing themselves, then when people finally got around to what a synth is right came the workstations with the digital hype to boot

now its a totally different ball game, now people have done comparisons with digital and software etc and now people realise what the magic is with the instruments like Minimoog, now people realise what they can't get from digital and software which is found in analog, plus we have a ton of music, and styles made with those great instruments

the workstations may sell more but they are 2 different kind of musicians
volumetrik

Postby sequentialsoftshock » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:30 am

DSI seems to be doing good enough after the Minibrute came out that they're confident to put out a $3000 polysynth that isn't even analog. I think we're okay. I'm safe in saying that 50% of the regulars here who bought an Arturia will also be buying an MS20 Mini. Even if they decide to sell one, that doesn't really affect the manufacturers. I just don't get this thread. Apple sells a lot of one type of phone, and Samsung still sells a lot of different types. They seem to be doing OK. This is just on a smaller scale.
bonne chance
sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Postby ronP » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:54 am

The point of this "dumb" thread, to me, is that in the opening question the underlying impression was Arturia had a one year jump on mini MS-20 and Sub Phatty and blew a big volume sale because of production and distribution issues.

Yeah, Arturia did miss a windfall there. I had just about settled on a Mono Evolver or MoPho keyboard when Minibrute was first announced, so I waited, and waited . . . I would have picked one up in a store instantly, but now that the other manufacturers are releasing small, analog, monophonic keysynths, I'll have to wait even longer and demo each one in shop before I settle.

oh, darn . . . ;)

BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100
ronP

Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Postby sequentialsoftshock » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:23 am

Well an MEK certainly isn't going to be comparable to an MS20 / MiniBrute / MoPho, so I still don't get this..? Minibrute is a two octave single VCO (with badass extras /subosc) monosynth, MS20 mini is a repro of a 2 osc (semi mod) monosynth, MoPho is a single voice of Prophet '08, and MEK is... MEK is just something totally new. Miss mine. So... They're all VERY different. I'm not trying to be a naysayer dick. I'm pointing out the fact they all cater to different people at the minimum.
bonne chance
sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Postby Walter Ego » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:26 pm

MiniBrut

ExtraBrut

Okay okay...serious question--will the Minibrute be followed up by a Maxibrute, ala you-know-who, whose name rhymes with "SCHMORG"? (Is there already a speculative thread about that?)

EDIT: The title of the post is cut off in the thread, but not elsewhere...so my joke is stoooopid... :oops:
Walter Ego
Walter Ego

Gear: A lot more gear than I would have if I wasn't a member of this forum...
Band: 12"VS

Postby vinyl_junkie » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:50 pm

Shouldn't this post read "Should Waldorf just not bother releasing the Pulse2 ?" :lol:
vinyl_junkie

Gear: Akai samplers

Postby Ned Bouhalassa » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:38 pm

sequentialsoftshock wrote:DSI seems to be doing good enough after the Minibrute came out that they're confident to put out a $3000 polysynth that isn't even analog. I think we're okay. I'm safe in saying that 50% of the regulars here who bought an Arturia will also be buying an MS20 Mini.

And some of us who bought the Brute, will be skipping the MS20 in favour of the P12 (Yummmm!).
My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos: nedonanalog
More about me: youshootiscore
Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: 1 Japanese, a young German, an old Brit and 2 fat Americans.

PreviousNext

Return to General Synthesizers