Modding moog sonic 6

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Re: Modding moog sonic 6

Postby Romannis1972 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:02 am

If six isn't 6, then what the hell is 3+3.....
Romannis1972

Gear: Alesis QS7.1 & Micron, Roland RS-70, Korg EX-800, Crumar DS-2, Kawai SX-240, Virus A, iPad running Korg, Moog, PPG, NanoStudio and Sunrizer
Band: Romannis Mötte

Advertisement:

Postby CZ Rider » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:29 am

Always thought it was a Sonic VI, since the original MuSonics version was the Sonic V. :dontknow:
Although it says Model: Sonic 6 on the serial plate.

Had to mod my Sonic 6 because it was one of the early ones with a ladder filter and was 5 volts per octave on the pitch and filter input. The factory recommended mod was to change two 1% resistors to bring it back to 1 volt per octave.
Looks like it is pin 6 on the Sonic 6 that carries the V-trigger(Gate) input. With pin 1 as positive voltage, pin 2 ground and pin 3 negative voltage. That is how the 1125 sample/hold, 1150 ribbon and 1130 percussion controller trigger the gate on the Sonic VI, via the 6 prong cinch/jones connector. The solder tabs on the 6 prong cinch male connector should be numbered. So gate in to pin 6 and shield to pin 2.
Here is an original accessory cable that would normally plug into the Sonic Six. The two prong S-trigger cable is not used on the Sonic VI.
And the Sonic VI accessory socket wiring:
CZ Rider

Postby Sir Ruff » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:10 pm

CZ Rider wrote: Looks like it is pin 6 on the Sonic 6 that carries the V-trigger(Gate) input. With pin 1 as positive voltage, pin 2 ground and pin 3 negative voltage. That is how the 1125 sample/hold, 1150 ribbon and 1130 percussion controller trigger the gate on the Sonic VI, via the 6 prong cinch/jones connector. The solder tabs on the 6 prong cinch male connector should be numbered. So gate in to pin 6 and shield to pin 2.
Here is an original accessory cable that would normally plug into the Sonic Six. The two prong S-trigger cable is not used on the Sonic VI.
And the Sonic VI accessory socket wiring:

So just to clarify, for external cv/gate control, you just need to wire pin 4 (for pitch), pin 6 (for gate), and pin 2 for ground? Do you even need ground? Sorry, eletronics neophyte here! :?
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Postby GuyaGuy » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:17 pm

Does anyone have a link to mod a Sonic 6 to a Sonic Six?
GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Gear: YES PLEASE!

Postby schmidtc » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:43 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:So just to clarify, for external cv/gate control, you just need to wire pin 4 (for pitch), pin 6 (for gate), and pin 2 for ground? Do you even need ground? Sorry, eletronics neophyte here! :?

Yep. That's it. Anything with a voltage needs a reference to ground and it this case both connections can share the same ground. I forget how the whole v-trig / s-trig thing works, but I recall feeding the sonic six a standard 5 or 10 volt step function as a gate and it responded happily.
schmidtc

Postby CZ Rider » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:09 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:So just to clarify, for external cv/gate control, you just need to wire pin 4 (for pitch), pin 6 (for gate), and pin 2 for ground? Do you even need ground? Sorry, eletronics neophyte here! :?

The pitch input is either/or but not both. You can either use the normalized pitch input jack on the panel, that breaks the connection (normalized), to the 6 pin cinch when a 1/4" plug is inserted. Or you can wire the 6 pin cinch to accept the pitch CV input. But you can not use both as the connection to pin 4 is broken using the panel jack. I would just use the panel jack. Those 6 pin Moog power connectors have some strange uses for those usually not assigned pins 5 and 4 depending on the model. And I do not know of any Moog accessory that utilizes that pin 4 for pitch?

You need the ground for any CV in any system to work. Think of the gate or CV as a connection to a battery. If you just connect to the positive side of a battery nothing happens, even though the battery has a voltage. Connecting to the ground completes the circuit. Although the ground can connect on another jack, like the pitch, filter, loudness, ext. audio, from the same equipment sending the gate. It is always best to include the ground on a proper gate CV input.
CZ Rider

Postby c-level » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:19 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:Do not mod your Moog Sonic Six.

P.S. It's "six."

the german pronunciation?

;)
c-level

Gear: Juno106, JX8P, JX3P, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, E6400 Ultra Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, M-Audio CX-8 Monitors, Focusrite Pro40
Band: C-Level

Postby CZ Rider » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:31 pm

GuyaGuy wrote:Does anyone have a link to mod a Sonic 6 to a Sonic Six?

A difficult modification, not recommended for beginers.
First you will need a circa 1970's Dymo labeler like Moog used. Finding the correct shade of vintage blue 1/4" tape can be difficult as those usually go for inflated prices on Ebay due to the rarity. Beware of counterfiets and cheap knock offs. They may look the same but the adhesive will not last and could just fall off during a performance.
The next step is best left to professionals. If you are not carefull you could end up with an almost worthless Sonic 9. But with proper care taken, should end up with a mod that looks like this one.
Best to use a spell checker before attempting this mod.
Or you could end up with a Sonic Sicks!

Disclaimer: No Moogs were harmed during the filming of these modifications! :lol:
CZ Rider

Postby schmidtc » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:47 pm

Finally! The impossible: REALIZED
schmidtc

Postby Sir Ruff » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:41 am

Schmidtc and CZ, thanks for the input! Very helpful.

CZ - I see what you're saying about just using the pitch input jack. So are you suggesting wiring ONLY the pin 6 for gate and pin 2 for ground on the accessory jack?

Also, label making: Classique! :lol:
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Postby GuyaGuy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:48 am

CZ Rider wrote:
GuyaGuy wrote:Does anyone have a link to mod a Sonic 6 to a Sonic Six?

A difficult modification, not recommended for beginers.
: No Moogs were harmed during the filming of these modifications! :lol:

:slowclap:
GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Gear: YES PLEASE!

Postby Automatic Gainsay » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:05 am

It may say "Sonic 6" on the serial plate, but it says "Sonic Six" on the device. And, it says "Sonic Six" on the manuals. And, it says "Sonic Six" on all of the literature that I have access to that you don't.

And, the people who seem to CONSTANTLY say "Sonic 6" are not saying "Sonic 6" because they're ignoring what it says on the front and the manual, and somehow adhering to what it says on the serial plate you're quoting.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Minimoog, ARP 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, Dubreq S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Hohner Pianet T, Wurlitzer 7300, Wurlitzer 145-A.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Postby CZ Rider » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:20 am

Sir Ruff wrote:CZ - I see what you're saying about just using the pitch input jack. So are you suggesting wiring ONLY the pin 6 for gate and pin 2 for ground on the accessory jack?

That's really a matter of personal preference. The gate is the only extra connection that is not on a standard type socket. Just wanted to point out that you can use one or the other for the pitch CV.

But if you were making a special cord where you wanted to use that Pitch CV and gate on a single 3.5mm stereo socket/cord, using that pin would work best. Then you would wire the tip to pitch CV, ring to the gate, sleeve to ground, and would only need one cable to interface the Sonic VI to your sequencer or CV device. So really depends on your application. I could see where it would be handy to wire a combo of pitch CV and gate for a simpler one cord solution using only the 6 pin cinch socket.

Just be carefull since pin 1 and 3 carry the power supply rails, +/- 15 volts. Don't want to accidently short to one of those causing failure to other circuits, internal or external.
CZ Rider

Postby CZ Rider » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:39 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:It may say "Sonic 6" on the serial plate, but it says "Sonic Six" on the device. And, it says "Sonic Six" on the manuals. And, it says "Sonic Six" on all of the literature that I have access to that you don't.

Just bustin' your chops AG. :)
I have a theory about that "Model Sonic 6" serial tag. Back in the 70's when an order would have been placed for such a custom label, it was usually done by phone. My guess would be the verbal order was placed for "Sonic Six", and the tags came in written as "Sonic 6". Guess they could have returned them paying for new correct ones, or just use the ones they had. But it really does say Sonic 6 on the bottom of this one here, no BS or photoshop. That's a real official Moog tag.
And I have lots of MuSonic literature here and there is no mention ever of a Sonic Five. Every piece of literature I have calls it a Sonic V.

PS: And what't this I hear about you stating Moog 901's only tune to a few octaves? There's an easy way to tune them to range about 7 octaves right from the front panel. Hint:You don't tune the 901's like you do on other synthesizers.
CZ Rider

Postby Esus » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:05 am

CZ Rider wrote:PS: And what't this I hear about you stating Moog 901's only tune to a few octaves? There's an easy way to tune them to range about 7 octaves right from the front panel. Hint:You don't tune the 901's like you do on other synthesizers.

Please elaborate--about the tuning, that is.
Esus

PreviousNext

Return to General Synthesizers