New Novation Bass Station?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Re: New Novation Bass Station?

Postby griffin avid » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:50 pm

Seems like the Korg Volca announcement has quelled all the interest in this?

Somewhere on this forum is a snarky comment about how - the worse the interface, the more VSE thinks it's groundbreaking and (the exact) interface you WANTED in one thread is a problem in another. I wondering if VSE is so split down the middle or do we all look for an excuse to NOT buy stuff.

-especially those with full set ups already.
Good lord. You asked, no begged and pleaded for analog synths of every size shape, function and dimension and voila [or volca] here they are.

I admit I find it ABSURD that ANYONE could have ANY kind of problem with 25 full-sized keys on the same forum where NO ONE has mentioned the ~25 PLATES on something called the KORG VOLCA KEYS. Really? someone is going to play that? Not trigger notes, but actually play that.

So MINI-KEYS gives us indigestion, but hard plates goes down nice and smooth.
You complain about after-touch and responsiveness, but....eh whatever.
This is the Twilight Synth-Zone.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bass Station is an awesome release.
As a bass-synth, I am fine with enough keys to, you know, play basslines.
Plus if I decide to push it, I can always MIDI it up. I prefer the smaller footprint so it doesn't have to take up a rack or too much desk space. Much better than a box of knobs (for the same amount of money) and enough knobbage to avoid menu diving. Plus, it can save the basslines from a bunch of me songs. I actually think this is perfect as is.

I consider this going head to head with the Moog Minotaur. That's a good shootout.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com
griffin avid
Expert Member
Expert Member

Advertisement:

Postby Hugo76 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:13 pm

griffin avid wrote:The Bass Station is an awesome release.
As a bass-synth, I am fine with enough keys to, you know, play basslines.
Plus if I decide to push it, I can always MIDI it up. I prefer the smaller footprint so it doesn't have to take up a rack or too much desk space. Much better than a box of knobs (for the same amount of money) and enough knobbage to avoid menu diving. Plus, it can save the basslines from a bunch of me songs. I actually think this is perfect as is.

I consider this going head to head with the Moog Minotaur. That's a good shootout.

Agreed.
Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby meatballfulton » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:31 pm

griffin avid wrote:I'm wondering if VSE is so split down the middle or do we all look for an excuse to NOT buy stuff.

Of course!

-- Volca Beats has no piano patch

-- Bass Station II has no piano patch

-- Sub Phatty has no piano patch

-- MS20 Mini has no piano patch

-- Volca Bass is not a TB303

-- Volca Bass is not an ARP 2600

-- Volca Keys is not as cool as a Virus

-- Volca Keys is not as cool as Angry Birds
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Moog Voyager (FS), Live 9

Postby Blue Monster 65 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:38 pm

It's always about Angry Birds with you, isn't it, MB?

You wasted $.99 - get over it.
Muhahahahahahahahaha!
Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby tekkentool » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:39 am

But why won't roland rerelease the 303? I know that x0xb0x's are functionally identical but for some reason I just really need that roland logo you know?
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Postby SSquirrel » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:40 pm

tekkentool wrote:But why won't roland rerelease the 303? I know that x0xb0x's are functionally identical but for some reason I just really need that roland logo you know?

Does anyone sell Roland logos you can put on gear? People sell Fender stickers so you can build a Jazzmaster w/parts and have the right sticker if you want. Why can't the same be true w/a x0xb0x? :)
SSquirrel

Postby tekkentool » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:41 am

griffin avid wrote:Somewhere on this forum is a snarky comment about how - the worse the interface, the more VSE thinks it's groundbreaking and (the exact) interface you WANTED in one thread is a problem in another.

lql the "new MS-20 will have micro keys" shitstorm.
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)

Postby calaverasgrande » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:03 pm

tekkentool wrote:But why won't roland rerelease the 303? I know that x0xb0x's are functionally identical but for some reason I just really need that roland logo you know?

srsly, Roland is really being stupid by not re-releasing at least the simpler TR and TB models.
Just re-issuing the 808 and 303 and they would sell by the truckload.
The 909 is of course the one we want, but they could easily do SMT versions of the 808/303 that woudl be near identical to the originals and still have a low list.

The new Bass station looks cool. I am totally onboard with the patch memory aspect. The only thing I don't like about all these cheap analogue synths is it makes me worry about Moogs sales numbers.
I know I was thinking of a lil phatty to supplement my SH09 and MG1 with a synth with patch memory for live gigs. But I can get this new Novation much cheaper.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave
calaverasgrande

Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, MF105m, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Poly 61, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Atari Punk, Synsonics Drums, MDM MK I, Volcas
Band: N.S.V.

Postby Jabberwalky » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:10 pm

I look at it this way. For a simple layout, small size, analog filter, memory, and keys, there aren't many synths available. This would essentially replace that morpho I'd always planned on buying for live use.
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Dx7, ProOne, Kitten, 9700s, Ms20m, 700s, Bs2, P61, Eps16+, An1x, Dx21, Emax2, Ds8
Band: Variar, Model Human

Postby zoomtheline » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:48 pm

I'd like to try it out first before I even thought about buying one though as I really went off the Mopho very quickly and sold it. If it's anything like the original then I might like it.

As pretty as that picture is you have done tekkentool, i'm not sure what you are getting at. Taking the piss out of AG or A4?
zoomtheline

Postby tekkentool » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:15 am

zoomtheline wrote:I'd like to try it out first before I even thought about buying one though as I really went off the Mopho very quickly and sold it. If it's anything like the original then I might like it.

As pretty as that picture is you have done tekkentool, i'm not sure what you are getting at. Taking the piss out of AG or A4?

Not AG I love that cunt(that image was from the MS-20 thread btw). Not taking the piss out of any piece of gear. I just thought it was funny that people hated mini keys but a little box with circular buttons and a single octave was an instrument. :lol:
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby Stab Frenzy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:33 am

tekkentool wrote:
zoomtheline wrote:I'd like to try it out first before I even thought about buying one though as I really went off the Mopho very quickly and sold it. If it's anything like the original then I might like it.

Not AG I love that cunt(that image was from the MS-20 thread btw). Not taking the piss out of any piece of gear. I just thought it was funny that people hated mini keys but a little box with circular buttons and a single octave was an instrument. :lol:

:? You were taking two things I said and juxtaposing them out of context. The note input buttons on the A4 aren't for playing, they're not supposed to be a keyboard substitute for playing live and that's pretty obvious to anyone who's ever used any synth/sequencer type instrument. They're just buttons for entering the notes into the sequencer.

The instrument comment was about whether Elektron would make a VST to control the A4, I was saying that the A4 was designed as a complete instrument and that a lot of the power comes from the internal sequencer (patch changes per step!) and LFOs etc and the tactile control surface which is designed specifically for the A4 sequencer which would be lost if you were sequencing it with a DAW. I was saying it was an instrument as opposed to just an analogue sound source like something like the tetra etc. Sorry you didn't understand that. :thumbleft:
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby tekkentool » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:01 am

I understood perfectly but I think it's more worrisome you'd look at an image comparing AG's visage to Justin bieber and assume any part of it is remotely serious. ;)
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby Stab Frenzy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:30 am

Well he does look a lot like him, for an old man at least.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby zoomtheline » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:38 pm

I thought it was AG as a boy.
zoomtheline

PreviousNext

Return to General Synthesizers