Korg Monotron 6? Huh?!?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Re: Korg Monotron 6? Huh?!?

Postby Bitexion » Wed May 15, 2013 11:07 pm

The Andromeda A6 has a random patch generator. Usually never sounds useful :P

Waldorf Blofeld too, usually turns into a very glitchy mess.
Last edited by Bitexion on Thu May 16, 2013 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Advertisement:

Postby Sir Ruff » Wed May 15, 2013 11:32 pm

This thread just reminds me that I REALLY REALLY REALLY wish Roland would remake the Juno-6.

JK
Last edited by Sir Ruff on Thu May 16, 2013 3:36 am, edited 4 times in total.
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Postby sourwookie » Thu May 16, 2013 2:23 am

Despite the fact it's fake, and would clearly be cheap to produce, and its almost stupidly-simple, I must guiltily confess that it looks kinda fun.
sourwookie

Gear: ARP Solus, Roland SH-201, Korg MS2000, Nord Electro 3, Volca Keys and Beats,Roland Juno D

Postby ZeeOne » Thu May 16, 2013 4:34 am

Clearly fake (calling a 6-voice synth Monotron Anything is a contradiction in terms), but I so wish it were real. If they can sell an analog triphonic for only $150, there's no reason they can't slap two together with 44-49 full-size or MS20 Mini-size keys and patch memory to give us a 6-voice analog polysynth for 650-700 USD.
ZeeOne

Band: Wake the Ember

Postby mpa1104 » Thu May 16, 2013 7:19 am

ZeeOne wrote:Clearly fake (calling a 6-voice synth Monotron

Maybe in this instance Mono means monotonous

Bitexion wrote:The Andromeda A6 has a random patch generator. Usually never sounds useful

Waldorf Blofeld too, usually turns into a very glitchy mess.

Prophet VS: +1 for random patch generator and +1 for mostly produces a glitchy mess
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't like my personality, I have several more.
mpa1104

Gear: VCS 3, Rhodes Mark II, Micromoog, V-Synth, RS-202, Juno 60, Juno 2, VK-8M, MKB-1000, ESQ-1, ASR-10, Prophet VS, Triton Le, Theremin.

Postby Bitexion » Thu May 16, 2013 7:41 am

Actually the best random patch generator I've had is a soft synth, the Magellan (for ios).
It creates random patches but still keep it within sensible parameters so it doesn' just output glitchy mess every time.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular

Postby Kronik » Thu May 16, 2013 7:48 am

I think if Korg released a new synth similar to this, surely it would be based on one of the new Volca series, and not an "old" Monotron.

Imagine a Poly version of the Volca Bass... 3 VCO's per note etc :)
Kronik

Gear: Korg Kronos, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE 18U ARP Based Modular, BroadWAVE Minimoog Clone, Roland FA-06, Roland XV88, Studiologic Sledge.

Postby zoomtheline » Thu May 16, 2013 9:38 am

I use the Random Patch on the Blofeld and sometimes the Pulse one quite regularly. Although you have to do it about 50 times to get anything worth using and then you have to reverse engineer a few things to tame. I have found gold many times though. (my gold could well be your tin)
zoomtheline

Postby Infrasound » Thu May 16, 2013 10:08 am

ZeeOne wrote:Clearly fake (calling a 6-voice synth Monotron Anything is a contradiction in terms), but I so wish it were real. If they can sell an analog triphonic for only $150, there's no reason they can't slap two together with 44-49 full-size or MS20 Mini-size keys and patch memory to give us a 6-voice analog polysynth for 650-700 USD.

Perhaps the Hexatron?
Infrasound

Gear: Smack, Crack, Acid

Postby griffin avid » Thu May 16, 2013 10:28 am

Can't tell if anything here is supposed to be taken seriously but the A6 doesn't have a random patch generator. It has a function that sets the patch to wherever the knobs actually are. There is a java based random generator which works okay but after using, after restarting, the A6 freaked out and I had to soft reset.

The real mopho has a soft editor from sound tower that generates random or morphed and mutated patch banks.
I think all the soundtower editors have this functionality.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com
griffin avid
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby Walter Ego » Thu May 16, 2013 1:04 pm

Infrasound wrote:Perhaps the Hexatron?

Try SexaTron. :lol:
Walter Ego
Walter Ego

Gear: A lot more gear than I would have if I wasn't a member of this forum...
Band: 12"VS

Postby rhino » Thu May 16, 2013 4:37 pm

Wistful thinking:
Maybe someday they will have software where you design it in Photoshop and the computer will model it as a virtual synth. Don't like it? Hit Delete!

EDIT: I guess Nord Modular comes close for right now.
"A thing may seem impossible...until it's done."
--Nelson Mandela
rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Postby Bitexion » Thu May 16, 2013 5:27 pm

griffin avid wrote:Can't tell if anything here is supposed to be taken seriously but the A6 doesn't have a random patch generator. It has a function that sets the patch to wherever the knobs actually are. There is a java based random generator which works okay but after using, after restarting, the A6 freaked out and I had to soft reset.

The real mopho has a soft editor from sound tower that generates random or morphed and mutated patch banks.
I think all the soundtower editors have this functionality.

I'm talking about the software A6 Banker. I always use it together with my A6 when I have MIDI hooked up, so to me it's kind of part of the synth. It was made specifically for this synth, so it's not some random MIDI program in my eyes.
It is more of a librarian program, but also has a Random patch button that sends random MIDI to everything and you see what happens. DIdn't cause the synth the freak out yet, although you might have to press it 20 times to get a useful sound.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular

Postby griffin avid » Thu May 16, 2013 6:52 pm

I have the A6 Banker too and from what I remember about using it (a little foggy) is that the A6 has a weird patch architecture and that a newly created random patch gets slotted in the Edit Buffer and doesn't actually become the active patch until you navigate away from that preset and then go back to it.

If you had a workaround or found a way to get it to work differently, I would faint.

-- cause I'm the same idiot who for about every 3 years since I bought the A6 contacts Vyzor and actually believes them when they say an A6 editor is "in the works" + "maybe by year's end". And worse I was just about to ASK THEM AGAIN THIS YEAR when I saw my old email and the date of when I started asking them about an A6 editor.

From Their forum:
by Psicraft Tony » Wed May 07, 2008 5:19 pm
While we are definitely going to release Vyzor Andromeda in the coming year, we are very busy with other projects right now. The Andromeda is not your average synth, as you undoubtedly know and the editor for it is turning out to be a massive undertaking - We don't believe in cutting corners, so it's going to take longer than we'd originally hoped. Please check back here for more news on this topic. In the meantime, open discussion on this topic is highly encouraged!

annnnndddddd and update:
by Psicraft Tony » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:00 pm
Just an update on this topic - It's looking like 2010 for this editor, but it IS still a planned release.

lolz

===================================

SoundQuest said he would do one ,but he needs to get his hands on an A6. I'm too scared to send him mine and don't have enough money to order one and ship it just so I can make...random...patches....

But I have always wanted to twist the engine and see what happens.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com
griffin avid
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby xanadu97 » Thu May 16, 2013 9:56 pm

celebutante wrote:Image

Can't believe I'm the first to post this. As mentioned on FB where I saw it, it's likely fake- six LFO's and six filters seems a little odd unless it's something like a Sequential Six-Trak where it's a six mono multitimbral deal. It looks a little basic and hacky. But no one thought the MS20 mini and Volca boxes were real either, right? Discuss! 8-)

This was originally posted on Gearslutz about a year ago. It was just a "I want Korg to make this" photoshop creation. But I do like the Microtron thing :D
xanadu97

Gear: DIY Modular
Monotron

PreviousNext

Return to General Synthesizers