Moog Little Phatty Discontinued

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Re: Moog Little Phatty Discontinued

Postby megamanx » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:57 am

so what an extended key subphatty will replace the lp?
megamanx

Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, leipzig, analog4, t.oberheim sem, Chroma polaris,
Band: Thieves & Co.

Advertisement:

Postby Em Pe Ge » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:27 am

a poly would be cool... but i doubt i could ever afford it. just saying.. you know a current moog poly would be a pretty penny, if it did exist.
Em Pe Ge

Gear: Akai MPC1000, Moog Slim Phatty, Roland Alpha Juno 1, Animoog (via iRig midi), Ableton Live, Reason.

Postby Kenneth » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:00 am

I don't think Bob had much to do with the development of the Little Phatty. I am not sure why it was marketed as such.
Kenneth

Gear: Voyager. Microbrute. Monotron. Monotron Duo. Monotribe. Dark Time. Casiotone 405
Band: Glacier Academy

Postby Automatic Gainsay » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:53 am

Kenneth wrote:I don't think Bob had much to do with the development of the Little Phatty. I am not sure why it was marketed as such.

Because "Bob Moog's Last Synth Design" is likely to sell far more than "Here is the first synth Moog Music created after Bob's Passing (but it does contain some of his work!)."
:(

Although, I have to admit that it is an interesting synth design and has a decent sound, and probably SHOULD have sold for its own merits.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Minimoog, ARP 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, Dubreq S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Hohner Pianet T, Wurlitzer 7300, Wurlitzer 145-A.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Postby GuyaGuy » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:55 am

Someone on Muffwiggler pointed out:

It is really bothering me that for the whole 7 years Moog Music were selling the Little Phatty as "Bob Moog's last design" the entire time and now all of the sudden it's Cyril Lance's design?

Also on their website under the Bob Moog's prototypes and development boards there used to be the little phatty images and now they're gone?

So, it's Bob Moog's design when you need to sell it but now that it's being discontinued it's not anymore?

I smell bullshit, Moog Music, and it stinks.

http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewto ... c&start=20
GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Gear: YES PLEASE!

Postby kuroichi » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:25 am

I honestly hope there are people who will forever suffer because they are bothered by the somewhat trivial facts regarding the little phatties design.

What a ridiculous thing to be concerned about.
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!
kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby GuyaGuy » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:53 am

I'm ridiculously concerned about what other people are concerned about.
GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Gear: YES PLEASE!

Postby ColorForm2113 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:58 am

The way I see it is Bob designed the initial synth and helped with the prototype (that sort of looked like a subphatty) and Cyril lance pulled it all together software esthetics and what not. But yeah in the end, its really not that important. Its a great synth regardless of who designed it.
My modular so far: Q104, Q106, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M (x2 STEREO!) Beat Step and Volca Beats
ColorForm2113

Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Postby meatballfulton » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:59 pm

GuyaGuy wrote:I'm ridiculously concerned about what other people are concerned about.

Especially when it involves something I neither know or care about ;)
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby Kenneth » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:34 pm

kuroichi wrote:I honestly hope there are people who will forever suffer because they are bothered by the somewhat trivial facts regarding the little phatties design.

What a ridiculous thing to be concerned about.

"Trivial" to you is the last 7 years of one guy's entire career. Think about how the LP's actual designer (Cyril Lance) feels about being kicked into the gutter so that his company can sell more units. Just because a piece of information means little to you, does not make it trivial. Try to look outside your small speck of consciousness in the world once in a while.

I like the Little Phatty just fine, and I don't think Moog needed to blatantly lie about its origins to sell it.
Kenneth

Gear: Voyager. Microbrute. Monotron. Monotron Duo. Monotribe. Dark Time. Casiotone 405

Postby Solderman » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:05 pm

Did Tadao Kikumoto deserve to get credit for the TB303 and TR909? Does half the tripe passing as correct info on the web about synthesizers deserve to be updated?
Sure, but why do you care other than to have something else to whine off-topic about on a forum meant exclusively for giving people GAS for overpriced toys that will be collecting dust 3 months after purchase and to post their tracks that nobody ever listens to?

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analogue. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." - Brian Eno
Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: μbrute, Kraftzwerg I, Поливокс(mod), SEM Pro, SH101(mod), TR606(mod), α Juno, Virus b

Postby Mooger5 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:03 pm

History is full of unsung heroes, like Bill Hemsath (Minimoog). And Carl Barks was never allowed to sign one Oncle Scrooge cartoon while working for Disney.
Herrare umanum est.
Mooger5

Postby Kenneth » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:16 pm

Solderman wrote:...and to post their tracks that nobody ever listens to?

Jesus Christ, someone is feeling a little jaded. What warranted that? I've had a lot of great feedback from posting songs on internet forums. Not VSE because frankly I don't really like the air of bigotry that permeates every thread around here, but all the same I think the internet is a great way to get one's music into the right ears.
Kenneth

Postby Kenneth » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:18 pm

Mooger5 wrote:History is full of unsung heroes, like Bill Hemsath (Minimoog). And Carl Barks was never allowed to sign one Oncle Scrooge cartoon while working for Disney.

I agree with this. I suppose bringing up yet one more is pointless, but it would be really nice to see creative people given credit for creating.
Kenneth

Postby Solderman » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:33 pm

Kenneth wrote:
Solderman wrote:...and to post their tracks that nobody ever listens to?

Jesus Christ, someone is feeling a little jaded. What warranted that?

I see. Perhaps you have a better perspective now about what it feels like to witness someone else complain about some injustice they feel passionately about, relevant to the forum but not the original thread topic, that you personally feel nothing at all towards and can't understand their zeal to speak out.

My bad. The true purpose of VSE is not to harmlessly and passively give people GAS or engage conversation about music and music making. It's to divert the original topic to complain and draw attention to personal pet peeves. In the fine tradition of all free societies, to bind the superficial burdens of one's self to the bottomless malcontent of the masses, please continue. As above, so below.

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analogue. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." - Brian Eno
Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: μbrute, Kraftzwerg I, Поливокс(mod), SEM Pro, SH101(mod), TR606(mod), α Juno, Virus b

PreviousNext

Return to General Synthesizers