Moog Little Phatty Discontinued

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Re: Moog Little Phatty Discontinued

Postby tekkentool » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:13 am

Blue Monster 65 wrote:Hmm ... A Moog drum machine would catch my attention!

-Make some drum sounds on your moog
-drop them into a sampler
-Moog drum machine.

Nah I jest. But seriously, wanna know the future of moog music?

lol
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Advertisement:

Postby Blue Monster 65 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:13 pm

tekkentool wrote:

-Moog drum machine.

Well, there is that ... :roll: :lol:
Muhahahahahahahahaha!
Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby calaverasgrande » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:22 pm

tekkentool wrote:

-Moog drum machine.

missing the point of a drum machine entirely.

I've been posting begs for a moog analog drum machine in every "what should Moog make..." thread I have seen.
It isn't that I think Moog's old synth drums were anything spectacular. More that I think only Moog can get us out of the 808/909 ghetto. Everyone that makes an analog drum machine these days assumes we all want 808 boom. Some of us want BETTER than 808.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave
calaverasgrande

Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, MF105m, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Poly 61, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Atari Punk, Synsonics Drums, MDM MK I, Volcas
Band: N.S.V.

Postby Blue Monster 65 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:36 pm

^Blasphemy!
Muhahahahahahahahaha!
Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Kenneth » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:18 pm

calaverasgrande wrote:
tekkentool wrote:

-Moog drum machine.

missing the point of a drum machine entirely.

I've been posting begs for a moog analog drum machine in every "what should Moog make..." thread I have seen.
It isn't that I think Moog's old synth drums were anything spectacular. More that I think only Moog can get us out of the 808/909 ghetto. Everyone that makes an analog drum machine these days assumes we all want 808 boom. Some of us want BETTER than 808.

Oh my god, THANK YOU.
Kenneth

Gear: Voyager. Microbrute. Monotron. Monotron Duo. Monotribe. Dark Time. Casiotone 405
Band: Glacier Academy

Postby griffin avid » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:26 pm

Isn't that what the DSI Tempest is supposed to be?
Hmmm.....seems like, spec-wise EVERYONE should have picked one up....

Maybe we need a favorite record to be made on one first....
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com
griffin avid
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby Automatic Gainsay » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:32 pm

I'll probably sound like a dick asking this, but I mean it honestly:

Why?

Moog has never made a drum machine. The things that make Moog desirable have nothing to do with a drum machine. Granted, they did make a guitar, which was just as obtuse as a drum machine would be, but what exactly about Moog would make you want a drum machine from Moog other than the name Moog?
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Minimoog, ARP 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, Dubreq S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Hohner Pianet T, Wurlitzer 7300, Wurlitzer 145-A.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Postby Automatic Gainsay » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:38 pm

calaverasgrande wrote:missing the point of a drum machine entirely.

Hmm. Because the point of a drum machine USED to be to provide automated drums. It's only been in the last probably 10 years that anyone really gave an f about the extremely subtle nuances provided by analog drum machine functionality.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Minimoog, ARP 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, Dubreq S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Hohner Pianet T, Wurlitzer 7300, Wurlitzer 145-A.

Postby Stab Frenzy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:42 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:

I'll probably sound like a dick asking this, but I mean it honestly:

Why?

Moog has never made a drum machine. The things that make Moog desirable have nothing to do with a drum machine. Granted, they did make a guitar, which was just as obtuse as a drum machine would be, but what exactly about Moog would make you want a drum machine from Moog other than the name Moog?

My sentiments exactly.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby calaverasgrande » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:51 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
calaverasgrande wrote:missing the point of a drum machine entirely.

Hmm. Because the point of a drum machine USED to be to provide automated drums. It's only been in the last probably 10 years that anyone really gave an f about the extremely subtle nuances provided by analog drum machine functionality.

Really?
I think a lot of folks in the hip hop community as well as techno/industrial/electro guys have been all about drum machines for decades, multiple.

I will admit that I am a special case though. I play drums as well as a few other instruments. I only use drum machines when I want stuff to sound drum machiney. Which to my tastes means stiff, synthetic and zero swing.

I don't so much care if it's analog or not. I just like to be able to do more to the sounds than pitch them up and down and change on arbitrary parameter. Which is what most of the rompler+sequencer style drum machines are about. If I want that I have an SR16b under a shelf someplace I can dig out.
Automatic Gainsay wrote:

Speaking for myself, I appreciate the novel approach that Moog has taken to interface design in its recent products. I also find that (modulation and filters aside) Moog stuff doesn't constrain me into genre specific tones the way a lot of gear does. For example I like X0Xboxes, but I have to go way out of my way to make them not sound acidy.
Moog has also not re-released a lot of stuff they did make. No Vocoder, Opus, Satellite or Polymoog equivalents. And plenty of stuff like the infamous MP201 and several of the Foogers had no equivalent in the past that I can imagine. So I guess I don't really see the logic.
They did make those stand alone pad/synth deals. I think it was called percussion synthesizer? Had the knobs on the side?

griffin avid wrote:Isn't that what the DSI Tempest is supposed to be?
Hmmm.....seems like, spec-wise EVERYONE should have picked one up....
Maybe we need a favorite record to be made on one first....

I am still fiddling with the idea of buying one of those Tempest boxes. But I think that leaving out any kind of CV/gate or trigger interfacing misses the point of analog for a lot of current synthesists. I just can't rationalize spending almost 2K on a device that won't interface to 2/3rds of my stuff without more adapters and kludges.
Still holding out for a Tempest MKII (yeah right).
Last edited by calaverasgrande on Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave
calaverasgrande

Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, MF105m, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Poly 61, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Atari Punk, Synsonics Drums, MDM MK I, Volcas

Postby silikon » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:01 am

While having Moog design (and bring to market) a drum machine sounds like a really novel idea for some, I can see it playing out something similar to the following:

"We're Moog! We can build anything! Here, have a bit of this!"

(insert a huge photo of the new Moog Sub Hammer)

...people on every electronic music forum ever will drone on for pages and pages about how nice and solid it looks, but it's way too expensive to take seriously; then lament about how it is another exploitation of the 24db Ladder Filter design, and little more.

Deadmau5 will buy one. Trent Reznor will have Serial Number 1. A handful of people will actually buy one -- but mostly everyone else will be pissed that it's not priced in the same category as a Volca, and keep posting to forum threads complaining of not having any choice or selection.
echo 1 > /dev/awesome
silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Postby CZ Rider » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:27 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:Moog has never made a drum machine.

Perhaps not one that would sit on a table top. But the R.A.Moog Co. made one of the original automated synthesizer percussion units way back in 1969, the 700 series.
From what I have gathered those Moog 700 Drum/Percussion synthesizers did not use a 24dB/oct filter, but rather a two pole ladder filter.
Moog was also the leader in Percussion synthesizers with the 1130 controller introduced in 1973, long before the famous Simmons drums.
And in the early 80's before Moog's demise, they were working on a MIDI drum computer with the C-64 Songproducer. The Moog MIDI drum stepper. It featured 8 drum triggers controlled via Moog software.
ImageImage

I would say Moog has a long history of synthesized percussion, no? If someone mentioned drum synthesizer in the early seventies, you would think Moog. Not Roland or Simmons.
CZ Rider

Postby calaverasgrande » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:29 am

silikon wrote:While having Moog design (and bring to market) a drum machine sounds like a really novel idea for some, I can see it playing out something similar to the following:

"We're Moog! We can build anything! Here, have a bit of this!"

(insert a huge photo of the new Moog Sub Hammer)

...people on every electronic music forum ever will drone on for pages and pages about how nice and solid it looks, but it's way too expensive to take seriously; then lament about how it is another exploitation of the 24db Ladder Filter design, and little more.

Deadmau5 will buy one. Trent Reznor will have Serial Number 1. A handful of people will actually buy one -- but mostly everyone else will be pissed that it's not priced in the same category as a Volca, and keep posting to forum threads complaining of not having any choice or selection.

I can't say you are wrong.
calaverasgrande

Postby Automatic Gainsay » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:29 am

CZ Rider wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:Moog has never made a drum machine.

Perhaps not one that would sit on a table top. But the R.A.Moog Co. made one of the original automated synthesizer percussion units way back in 1969, the 700 series.
From what I have gathered those Moog 700 Drum/Percussion synthesizers did not use a 24dB/oct filter, but rather a two pole ladder filter.
Moog was also the leader in Percussion synthesizers with the 1130 controller introduced in 1973, long before the famous Simmons drums.
And in the early 80's before Moog's demise, they were working on a MIDI drum computer with the C-64 Songproducer. The Moog MIDI drum stepper. It featured 8 drum triggers controlled via Moog software.
ImageImage

I would say Moog has a long history of synthesized percussion, no? If someone mentioned drum synthesizer in the early seventies, you would think Moog. Not Roland or Simmons.

CV, you know I know about those devices.
You also know that the 700 series were for performance (or possibly sequencing), but were not a "drum machine" as we use the term.
You also know that the 1130 was no more a drum machine than Simmons drums are.
You also know that the Song Producer was hardly a product, let alone a "drum machine." And, if we're going to use it as the model drum machine from Moog, as it's the closest possible thing, I would hardly think it would be a great example of what would make a young person today want to buy a Moog drum machine. Who has one? Who has heard one?

I'll agree that synthesized percussion happened in Moog history, but, as is consistent with my original point, Moog never produced a drum machine and is not known for doing so. In fact, except for the recent postings on the Moog Forum in regard to the 700 series, most people had never heard it. "Synthesized Percussion" is not "drum machine."
And, even if we just talk about synthesized percussion, again... most people have never heard Moog synthesized percussion. The 700 series was about as specialized as anything at Moog got. So, people cannot say "I want a Moog drum machine because it's a sound I really like, and a function I associate with Moog." Which is my point.

Lastly... the "Moog Demise" happened a decade before the Moog Demise.
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby Automatic Gainsay » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:32 am

calaverasgrande wrote:Speaking for myself, I appreciate the novel approach that Moog has taken to interface design in its recent products. I also find that (modulation and filters aside) Moog stuff doesn't constrain me into genre specific tones the way a lot of gear does.

Fair enough!
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

PreviousNext

Return to General Synthesizers