The first Casio?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

The first Casio?

Postby Walter Ego » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:48 am

Walter Ego

seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)
Walter Ego

Gear: Ass-Burgers, Internet Cookies, Prescription Meth, Coffee and some Korg gear
Band: 12"VS

Advertisement:

Re: The first Casio?

Postby rhino » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:00 am

Things like this make one wonder how the Human race survived its own stupidity: A hundred years ago, some dunce decided that piano students should not be allow to touch a real piano until they had evolved the correct 'touch' playing fake keyboards like this, Some were just printed paper, this one has raised sharps, more advanced ones had real wooden keys - often with adjustable spring tension. IMHO, kinda like using a rubber sex doll to learn the correct 'technique'. (lol)
"A thing may seem impossible...until it's done."
--Nelson Mandela
rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Postby meatballfulton » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:03 pm

I always though practice pianos were developed back when the instruments were so expensive that many musicians could not afford to own their own.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby salwa » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:40 pm

Also, if you were a traveling musician, you didn't have many options to practice in a train or coach (famous polish pianist Ignacy Paderewski had this kind of "silent keyboard" just for that purpose).
Casio CZ-1, Elektronika EM-25, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV-2080, Novation KS-rack, Korg Poly 800, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-8, Vermona E-piano, Akai S2000, Roland SP 404, Roland TR 505, Yamaha MR 10, Yamaha RX 7 and more
https://www.facebook.com/DOMmusicpl
salwa

Postby Bitexion » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:04 pm

Well I wouldn't compare it to replacing sex with a sex doll really. Piano exercises are often very static and focus on finger placement, so being able to do those exercises without actually playing on a big piano is always nice. Can't lug your grand piano with you everywhere, but you can kind of practice anywhere there is a flat surface if you know the spacing of the keys. Thus, practice keyboards came about.

I remember when I was a kid and learning to play the organ, I'd practice chords on my lap sometimes or a table surface, since it mostly relies on muscle memory.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Postby Reginator » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:21 pm

Back in high school a friend used to teach me basic piano. I made my own paper keyboard to reinforce what I learned because we couldn't afford a piano. It wasn't until 3 or 4 years later that I got my first synth and that paper keyboard was a tremendous help over the years. ;)
Reginator

Gear: Korg MS-20 Kit, TTSH, Minimoog Voyager, Waldorf Microwave Mk1 rev B, Roland JP-8080/MC-505
Band: Reginator

Postby Aaron2 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:50 am

I like how someone wrote "killer" in pencil on the box! :lol:
Aaron2

Gear: Roland: Juno-106/S; JX-10; JX-8P; JX-3P; Juno-2
Elektron: MD, OT, A4, AK, AR
DSI: Tempest, MEK, P08M
Moog: Minitaur

Postby Walter Ego » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:45 am

Aaron2 wrote:I like how someone wrote "killer" in pencil on the box!

I was going to say the same thing...that's one reason I put that pic in there.
Walter Ego

seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)
Walter Ego

Gear: Ass-Burgers, Internet Cookies, Prescription Meth, Coffee and some Korg gear

Postby rhino » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:07 pm

I am un-moved. No feedback (audible or tactile) means seriously impeded learning curve., and much loss of enjoyment.
"A thing may seem impossible...until it's done."
--Nelson Mandela
rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Postby Walter Ego » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:46 pm

rhino wrote:I am un-moved. No feedback (audible or tactile) means seriously impeded learning curve., and much loss of enjoyment.

Another metaphor--it's like learning to drive a car with those stupid desktop steering wheels for students. Silly at best; at worst, misleading and bad-habit forming.
Walter Ego

Walter Ego

Postby Seromi » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:28 am

One not-so-well-known use of these keyboards was for memorization practice. Lots of pianists used them to help link up their ears and fingers, if you know what I mean.
Seromi

Postby walkathon » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:26 pm

meatballfulton wrote:I always though practice pianos were developed back when the instruments were so expensive that many musicians could not afford to own their own.

Unless my brain's implanting false memories (not unlikely), as a kid I attended a theory class that had a small roomful of these plastic keyboards as the teacher stood up at the front & taught. So, partly a budgetary deal, and partly so she didn't have a classful of kids all trying to fumble through Heart and Soul while she talked.
walkathon

Gear: LionTamer 3.1

Postby Dr. Phibes » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:15 am

rhino wrote:I am un-moved. No feedback (audible or tactile) means seriously impeded learning curve., and much loss of enjoyment.

Yeah, aside from the issues of cost and convenience in the days before cheap keyboards and headphones, this kind of thing is pretty indicative of the 'learning as penance' ethos that's probably ruined the piano for as many as it has taught.
Dr. Phibes

Postby jim777 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:29 pm

Both George and Ira Gershwin learned to play piano on pieces of paper with keys drawn on them because actual instruments were prohibitively expensive. It's like they say, "Where there's a will, there's a way" :)
even Siberia goes through the motions....
jim777

Gear: COWBELL!
(Motif6, ION. V-Synth, Fusion 8HD)

Postby Walter Ego » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:37 pm

Walter Ego

Walter Ego

Next

Return to General Synthesizers