Jexus' review of the Alesis Andromeda is up

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Re: Jexus' review of the Alesis Andromeda is up

Postby GuyaGuy » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:47 am

commodorejohn wrote:
Besides, I'm Polish, which means that if something is on a high pedestal, I need to throw some shit on it.

:lol:

True. Also, why is his English so damn good? :-|
GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Gear: YES PLEASE!

Advertisement:

Postby commodorejohn » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:19 am

Because he's from one of the European countries that doesn't turn up its nose at the idea of English as a common language, probably. Seriously, it's embarassing how so many continental Europeans are better speakers (or writers, at least) than most native Anglophones.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
commodorejohn

Gear: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/DX7-IIFD/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/DSS-1, Hohner String Performer

Postby Bitexion » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:14 am

I watch Jexus' reviews as pure entertainment, so I'm never upset at the things he say. I laughed my ass off when he immediately asked "where's the jump preset" when he did his Alesis ion pickup video for instance.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Postby Stab Frenzy » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:38 am

meatballfulton wrote:I have never met an A6 in the flesh but let's be honest: with all the people screaming for new poly analogs and all the A6 fanboy ravings why was it discontinued?

There was a great thread by Dave Bryce here a while ago where he talked about the development of the A6, basically he said it came down to a change in ownership of Alesis just after it was released, the new owners weren't interested in pursuing either high-end synths or analogue, and so it got left in limbo and then discontinued. IIRC they were looking at leveraging the R&D into a cheaper mono synth version before the change of ownership, just like DSI have, but the new owners knocked the idea on the head.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby zoomtheline » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:26 am

commodorejohn wrote:Because he's from one of the European countries that doesn't turn up its nose at the idea of English as a common language, probably. Seriously, it's embarassing how so many continental Europeans are better speakers (or writers, at least) than most native Anglophones.

wot u tryin 2 say bruv dun cum ere wiv dat sht or il cut ya

ya getme
zoomtheline

Postby synthypoo » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:47 pm

I never "got" the A6 either. I have never owned it but I have spent some time with it and the basic sound never inspired me. Can't say I had any particular negative feelings toward it but it just never floated my boat ... and I tried to like it on a number of occasions thinking I must have missed something.
To quote Seinfeld: "Love the Jexus"
synthypoo

Postby Mino » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:33 am

So if you want an analog and spent only on 1 synth, Andromeda can be "the one" despite the user interface madness. That's what he says. He's not flaming that much.
Mino

Gear: Yamaha Motif ES8
Waldorf Q&XT
Nord Lead 2x
Roland V-Synth
Band: Can Gox

Postby philip » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:22 pm

Finally Jexus moved his polish ass, and wrote something.
philip

Postby meatballfulton » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:16 pm

The sh*tstorm over this has started up over at Gearslutz :yahoo:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby Bitexion » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:40 pm

It took me 3 weeks to "get" my Andromeda after I got it. When I finally decided to dive into it and read the manual while poking the menus. And I found a treasure I've never seen since.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Postby Aaron2 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:26 pm

Let me ask a more metaphysical question about Jexus' review: Who gives a shit? If you like the A6, you like it; if you don't, you don't. Who cares if some guy named "Jexus" or "WC Olo Garb" doesn't? If he can't even sign his real name to the review (and closes with "Cheers & FUCK OFF" to boot), that makes his opinions even less credible in my view. But I digress.

Let me offer an analogy. Just because a critic trashes a movie, does that mean you won't watch it? Of course not. Same here.
Aaron2

Gear: Roland: Juno-106/S; JX-10; JX-8P; JX-3P; Juno-2
Elektron: MD, OT, A4, AK, AR
DSI: Tempest, MEK, P08M
Moog: Minitaur

Postby griffin avid » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:30 pm

Just because a critic trashes a movie, does that mean you won't watch it? Of course not. Same here.

Not exactly true. There are movies that fall into my favorite genre(s) and I will see those no matter what.
And then there are movies that I can't tell from the trailer so reading several reviews helps push me off the fence.
Some I skip if they take a beating and some I will check with my eyebrow raised.

Sometimes I read reviews to see if the person adds any new insight or to see how they line up with my opinion.
I've owned an A6 for a long, long time. Bought it new. I'm not reading his "review" to be influenced. It's more like "Oh, let's see what this guy thinks". And surprisingly, it skips all of the most common concerns and calls out stuff that's actually the A6's strongest selling points.

Unfortunately, when you place yourself in a position of my-opinion-is-important, people are going to scrutinize you when you have a controversial opinion. You sort of need a reason to go out on a limb, subjective or not.

A better analogy: You have a hot partner, marry them, have a bunch of kids and a decade later, your friend wants to compare them to your babysitter. It doesn't make him insightful, it makes him an a-hole.
If you are unattached, you can agree "Yeah, well, yeah the babysitter is a cutie. I'd rather have that."
If you're married to the A6, it represents more than a fun weekend and some quick action.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com
griffin avid
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby fh991586 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:14 pm

It's a lot less interesting to churn out a couple of thousand $ if you're not sure of the result. This review will help less advised people to back down before they regret it. Unlike for a movie, which would only bring you a few $ behind if you end up not liking it like the critic said...
-Roland JX3P+PG200, D50+PG1000, Juno 6+106, MKS50/70, JP8080, U220, MVS1, MDC1, MSE1, RS09, TR-707
-Korg Poly61M, M1R, MicroKorg, Micro, Kaossilator/Pro, Monotron X3
-Yamaha DX7, TX816, TX81Z
-Crumar Performer, DSI Mopho, SCI Prophet 2002
fh991586

Gear: Too much to handle...

Postby Aaron2 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:33 pm

OK, let me say it a little more directly this time: Who gives a shit what some anonymous guy in Poland says about the A6, or anything else, for that matter?

What I'm trying to say here is that, because "Jexus" says something, people appear to be giving it undue weight. My question is why. I don't understand the need to elevate this guy's opinions above those of anyone else.

I hope that's clearer.
Aaron2

Gear: Roland: Juno-106/S; JX-10; JX-8P; JX-3P; Juno-2
Elektron: MD, OT, A4, AK, AR
DSI: Tempest, MEK, P08M
Moog: Minitaur

Postby commodorejohn » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:45 pm

Because some people hold that Jexus is a guy who knows his shit, has worked with a lot of gear, and generally tries to give fair and well-reasoned reviews that are more in-depth than simple opinion pieces?

Seriously, I don't always agree with the guy myself (and I've never cared for his demos,) but I don't understand why people are so baffled by the idea of hearing the thoughts of someone who's used a piece of gear and has something to say on it.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
commodorejohn

Gear: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/DX7-IIFD/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/DSS-1, Hohner String Performer

PreviousNext

Return to General Synthesizers