Jexus' review of the Alesis Andromeda is up

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Re: Jexus' review of the Alesis Andromeda is up

Postby Pro5 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:50 pm

I want him to "do" Jupiter 6 next.... :lol:

I agree with the 'review' concerning the interface and the bugs/faults and the sound varies wildly from sounding like any cheap 80s analog (JX-3P, alpha juno) via VA (yeah it sounds like a VA sometimes - sounds harsh not smooth like for ex Jupiter 8) into space-gasmic weirdo stacked sounds (that to my ears still sad a little on the cold/dark side to make it the ultimate analog).

A better UI and more thoughtful design (maybe REMOVE some features to make it more musical and less like it's competing with the best digital has to offer) coupled with less fear of super expensive/non workable faults and this synth would be all it's fans make it out to be. He did go hard on it because it's somewhat revered, due to it's being analog and powerful on paper, but nonetheless it could have been a lot better designed for such an expensive flagship synth.

He's spot on with his AN1x review btw :)

I've visited his site a lot but never noticed his JD-800 review? So is that newish too?

http://jexus.id.uw.edu.pl/syntezatory_p ... _jd800.htm

And I quote from his JD-800 review...

All buttons on all synths should be like that. The large ones have great spongy action, like poking your finger into a girl's tit.

Yeah, he's pretty accurate I think. Also the JD scores one rank higher than the A6 and one lower than the An1x which is where I'd put it.
V-SYNTH | JX-3P | AN1x | JD-800 | POLYSIX x2 | PERFORMER
HAD: SH101/JUNO 1,2,6,60/MKS70,50/JX8P/D50,70/JV1080/AX80/SY77,85/DX7,IID,S,100 /TG77,500/TX802,81Z/MS2k/DW8000/PROPHECY/WAVESTATION/M1/KSRACK/CZ1
Pro5

Advertisement:

Postby Bitexion » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:58 pm

Aaron2 wrote:Let me ask a more metaphysical question about Jexus' review: Who gives a shit? If you like the A6, you like it; if you don't, you don't. Who cares if some guy named "Jexus" or "WC Olo Garb" doesn't? If he can't even sign his real name to the review (and closes with "Cheers & FUCK OFF" to boot), that makes his opinions even less credible in my view. But I digress.

Let me offer an analogy. Just because a critic trashes a movie, does that mean you won't watch it? Of course not. Same here.

The guy has been reviewing and playing synths for years on youtube and used to be here alot too. Long before your time :)

He is funny and informative, and plays the polish stereotype character well. Plus he makes great music with his synths.
I see it as comedy with a musical twist. And it's not something to get upset about.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Postby synthypoo » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:41 am

Aaron2 wrote:OK, let me say it a little more directly this time: Who gives a shit what some anonymous guy in Poland says about the A6, or anything else, for that matter?

What I'm trying to say here is that, because "Jexus" says something, people appear to be giving it undue weight. My question is why. I don't understand the need to elevate this guy's opinions above those of anyone else.

I hope that's clearer.

But who gives a shit about what some anonymous guy on a synth forum says about some anonymous guy in Poland?
synthypoo

Postby davidfuego » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:32 am

This is a very interesting interview that Keyboard Magazine made to the synth legend Nick Rhodes from Duran Duran. He talks about vintage synths, the mighty Jupiter and Synthex plus his concept on why he uses Alesis ANdromeda on tour. Although the interview is not that recent he still uses it ;).

Highly recommended interview ;)

http://www.keyboardmag.com/article/duran-duran/5584
davidfuego

Postby Jabberwalky » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:40 am

I'm actually quite surprised that someone that does synth demos can become so well known. He was around here when I joined, and he seemed cool. Probably got sick of all the contrived bullshit on synth forums. I never tried an Andromeda, and have never wanted to. Not my thing at all.

This is why I like him "listen to audio demos of synths as this is the only way to judge and get to the truth."

I think some musicians spend a fortune on a synth, and spend the rest of their lives trying to justify the purchase. (not by making a decent track of course).
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Dx7|ProOne|MEK|9700s|Ms20m|700s|
|P61|An1x|Dx21|Emax2|Ds8
Band: Variar, Model Human

Postby griffin avid » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:22 am

This is why I like him "listen to audio demos of synths as this is the only way to judge and get to the truth."

The truth of the person playing said synth. For me, it's a bit more complicated. Aside from the raw tone, that must be pleasing, it's a combination of what it can do (and how) and form factor or physical layout. I'll deal with a lot to get to a grand tone. No one else cares what I went through or what it looks like sitting on my shelf. I gotta sit down with it. I can't/won't pull out of it what someone else might and vice versa.

I think some musicians spend a fortune on a synth, and spend the rest of their lives trying to justify the purchase. (not by making a decent track of course).

And in twenty years of musical pursuits, I have still yet to find this person. I have met plenty that spend a fortune when they first dive in ...like the guy with wall to wall gear, quite a bit of redundancy, and he can't figure out how to arm a track in his DAW. I also know a guy who bought a $2,000 console, but didn't get monitor speakers and was still using the little computer white ones. His thread was about how to hook them up to the consoles big plug holes since the speaker only had one small one.

That's rare.
If we're going to dive into the personal slags edge of reviews, for every person who is pointing out overly-expensive-for-what-it-does [remember the KORG OASYS wars?] there's someone else doing the sour grapes thing.

For me, it's about my music, but that's not everyone. Some people make sounds and not songs. Others like to collect- as frowned upon as that is, it's their prerogative.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com
griffin avid
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby Mac Moog » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:44 am

Interesting. Sorry to hear that he wasn't up to the task of working with the Andromeda. Mine works to make the most extraordinary sounds. Much more complex and lush than everything but the Solaris. My one picky issue is the incredible touchiness of some of the knobs. The sensitivity can be a problem in live shows. So for those where I need control on stage, right now, I assign the ribbon controller and it's just fantastic.

In his review, he really did seem to not really get the Andy, nor it's capabilities, much less, it's ease of use. It's a shame, it is truly one of the most stellar poly synths ever made, if properly programmed with the proper sound routing. The internal pre-amp can be a bit overwhelmed, so it's best to use the 16 channel output instead.
Mac Moog

Gear: ARP 2600, Alesis A6 Andromeda, Mellotron 4000D, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg MS-10/20/700s, Kurzweil PC3K, Oberheim Matrix 12, Yamaha CS-60/AN1x

Postby Neonlights84 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:17 am

Geez, so he didn't like it that much. It is his review. Pretty surprised at how raw some people are over this.
Gear: Novation Ultranova, Korg Monotribe, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, Lexicon MX200.
Neonlights84

Band: New Veaux

Postby davidfuego » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:44 am

The only thing I will say is that this synth on the right hands is a beast. It is my favorite and my advice is : guys remember only 2000 units in total. Grab one while prices are still decent ;) in 10 years this could cost double.

Cheers

David
davidfuego

Postby danbroad » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:08 am

It's an instrument, not an investment portfolio. In 10 years time there will be a number of these worth very little and marked 'spares or repair', too, remember that. If you want to make money, go stocks or property. If you want a fine sounding synth, put this on your list alongside the others.
Less words more noise
danbroad

Gear: TSC4 P12 NI9

Postby davidfuego » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:52 pm

danbroad wrote:It's an instrument, not an investment portfolio. In 10 years time there will be a number of these worth very little and marked 'spares or repair', too, remember that. If you want to make money, go stocks or property. If you want a fine sounding synth, put this on your list alongside the others.

I come from a culture where anything you buy, is appreciated. It´s Colombia, people do not buy to sell after, and you can´t imagine all my effort to get an ANdy and how much it means to me. I payed almost my complete salary of 6 months to get one and I have received in terms of money and happyness more than that.

Second, Wait and see how in ten years these synths will cost double. Mine has worked perfect for 12 years. I think that eventuallyI could buy some parts to last for let´s say 40 years more at least? As I said before I have seen on ebay most of the parts in these last two years so what is the big deal. Right now I can sit down and enjoy it as I am doing creating music and producing with it.
davidfuego

Postby rob_lee » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:37 pm

Here's one but i'm broke this month :-(

RED ANDROMEDA A6 EBAY

$4997.00 ouch lol

Rob
rob_lee
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: The field “Gear” is too long, a maximum of 150 characters is allowed.
Band: Rob Lee

Postby orlando56 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:08 am

I like Jexus's demos and his playing. He's just one opinion, and I think he acknowledges that. We all want to have our expectation biases met. It's human nature. For instance, Jexus kind of disses the Juno 106, while he celebrates the Juno 60. But I think that his 106 demos sound better than his 60 demo. And it happens that I sold a 60 several years ago, which I regret, mostly because everyone talks about how great they are and their price has greatly climbed. When I had the 60 I rarely used it because it didn't have built-in MIDI. Now I have a 106, which I use more than I did the 60. Is it just that I want the 106 to be validated?
orlando56

Gear: Prophet 600, MiniKorg 700, Juno 106, Little Phatty SE, Korg Poly 800, Minibrute, MS20 Mini
Band: Squirrel Damage

Postby GuyaGuy » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:28 am

orlando56 wrote:I like Jexus's demos and his playing. He's just one opinion, and I think he acknowledges that. We all want to have our expectation biases met. It's human nature. For instance, Jexus kind of disses the Juno 106, while he celebrates the Juno 60. But I think that his 106 demos sound better than his 60 demo. And it happens that I sold a 60 several years ago, which I regret, mostly because everyone talks about how great they are and their price has greatly climbed. When I had the 60 I rarely used it because it didn't have built-in MIDI. Now I have a 106, which I use more than I did the 60. Is it just that I want the 106 to be validated?

Are you looking for validation that you are looking to be validated?
GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Gear: YES PLEASE!

Postby danbroad » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:44 pm

It's a valid point.
Less words more noise
danbroad

Gear: TSC4 P12 NI9

PreviousNext

Return to General Synthesizers