Korg to release ARP Odyssey

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Re: Korg to release ARP Odyssey

Postby sequentialsoftshock » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:09 pm

Jabberwalky wrote:Korg is and has been my favorite synth manufacturer ever. They started with the Minikorg700 and haven't stopped the excellence for 30 years.

After owning an MS10/20 and playing a few others, I think I'd be inclined to agree, even if I do love a few of the things Sequential out out over the years. Korg is one of the few companies that really changed it up every time instead of sticking to the same basic formula. I believe they're the most likely contender in releasing an 808 remake... Obviously wouldn't be branded as such, but the step sequencer is the second biggest part after the sound, which I'm sure they could nail; perhaps it would sound even better.
bonne chance
sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Advertisement:

Postby Aaron2 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:12 pm

Kidney05 wrote:
Aaron2 wrote:I agree that the timing is pretty...well, awesome, from a marketing perspective. KORG is hoping people will start saving for the new "faithful recreation" of the Odyssey -- which ain't gonna be cheap, folks -- rather than buying Roland's kinda-sorta remakes of their old products.

how much are you thinking? I think it would be lower than you expect, given that the odyssey value isn't neccesarily its components, more its name and sound-- same way with the MS-20. It wasn't that it was expensive to make, just that there were no new ones.

Unless of course, there is some part of the Odyssey I don't know about that is very expensive to make.

I'm guessing at least $1,500 if it's made of heavy metal components like the original.

But for the love of all that is holy, why aren't they using the Mk. III body style? It's way sexier than the Mk. II. :lol:

Aaron2

Gear: Roland: Juno-106/S; JX-10; JX-8P; JX-3P; Juno-2
Elektron: MD, OT, A4, AK, AR
DSI: Tempest, MEK, P08M
Moog: Minitaur

Postby Aaron2 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:16 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:I feel faint.

This is one of the most amazing and bizarre things to happen in the synthesizer industry, ever.

I am really excited.

+1
Aaron2

Gear: Roland: Juno-106/S; JX-10; JX-8P; JX-3P; Juno-2
Elektron: MD, OT, A4, AK, AR
DSI: Tempest, MEK, P08M
Moog: Minitaur

Postby CZ Rider » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:18 pm

Have to brighten up the photo a bit to see the extra filter switch. Up at the top next to the resonance slider.
CZ Rider

Postby Kidney05 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:26 pm

Aaron2 wrote:
I'm guessing at least $1,500 if it's made of heavy metal components like the original.

Do you literally mean the electrical components? Some sort of old germanium nonsense or something?
Kidney05

Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Postby commodorejohn » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:28 pm

salwa wrote:I thoght, that MS20 was just birthday gift from Korg. I'm happy to be wrong.

fh991586 wrote:Maybe Roland will now reconsider his market strategy...

Aaron2 wrote:Yes, Roland should. KORG has just eaten its lunch -- again! :lol:

Kidney05 wrote:Look at the timing. AIRA was just unveiled, lots of "oh, that looks kinda cool. I might get that."

And now BOOM everyone will be talking about this for months. Roland should have really just rebuilt their 808s on surface mount circuit boards and sold it for 700 bucks.

:lol: Yep. Roland just had their thunder stolen yet again...at this point, I'm expecting that if we ever do get classic Roland rereleases, it'll be Korg making them...

Just...holy shit. ARP Odyssey rerelease. I'm gonna have to start saving.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
commodorejohn

Gear: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/DX7-IIFD/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/DSS-1, Hohner String Performer

Postby synapsecollapse » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:37 pm

It seems praising Korg is the only thing I do here other than lurking these days, but this is friggin' incredible!!
synapsecollapse

Gear: MS20 Mini, Venom, iPad mini, DX7

Postby tomorrowstops » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:45 pm

oh man, Korg is going to completely BURY Roland at this point...
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Dr. Phibes » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:53 pm

Wow. When I opened this thread I was sure it was going to be a piss-take.
Dr. Phibes

Postby megamanx » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:55 pm

tomorrowstops wrote:oh man, Korg is going to completely BURY Roland at this point...

maybe they will BUY Roland and do proper reissues...
megamanx

Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, leipzig, analog4, t.oberheim sem, Chroma polaris,
Band: Thieves & Co.

Postby antilles » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:57 pm

Best synthnews in years. Its fucking amazing! One Can only imagine where Korg will go next!!!
antilles

Gear: Virus C, String Melody II, Triton, MS-20, M1, Bass Station Rack, JX-8P, Juno-60, Paraphonic 505, SH-09, VK-09, JD-800, JD-990, Pro One, SY-1, TX81Z
Band: Antilles

Postby rob_lee » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:58 pm

tomorrowstops wrote:oh man, Korg is going to completely BURY Roland at this point...

They can bury who they like as long as i have this and all the Roland gear :lol: :lol: :lol:
rob_lee
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: The field “Gear” is too long, a maximum of 150 characters is allowed.
Band: Rob Lee

Postby ColorForm2113 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:02 pm

at this point I think we should just abandon all hope of Roland ever making analog gear again. it's more likely that korg will make proper reissues of the Jupiter, juno, 808 and what not
My modular so far: Q104, Q106, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M (x2 STEREO!) Beat Step and Volca Beats
ColorForm2113

Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Postby syntheticsolutions » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:03 pm

If it is full size, I will buy it!

Another mini cop out, I will not.

Either way, they are going to sell many so long as the price isn't too extortionate. I am really happy that there is a company doing this sort of thing and making these machines but am I the only one that thinks re releasing loads of old synths is a bit uninspiring. I am not saying what they are doing is bad or anything, it is bloody amazing but anyone that says korg are innovating is a bit off the mark. Surely at some point they should stop remanufacturing pre existing synths and design a really great new analogue?

I hate to be the only one criticising korg but re releasing not only their own designs but other companies as well does not leave a lot to the imagination.
Replicants are like any other machine, they're either a benefit or a hazard. If they're a benefit, its not my problem.
syntheticsolutions

Gear: OB-8, Jupiter 4, Polysix, Juno 6, RS-505, MS-10, VC-10, CS-15, Opus 3, Dark Energy, Dark Time,Machinedrum, DX, RE-501, DC-50, Roland Rack, Foogers
Band: Lunar Modular

Postby silikon » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:07 pm

If this turns out to be a 'mini' version, they can collectively pucker up and kiss my ass. :D

If not, what an interesting turn of events. Interesting to see what transpires.
echo 1 > /dev/awesome
silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

PreviousNext

Return to General Synthesizers