Waldorf Streichfett

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Re: Waldorf Streichfett

Postby bowenstidger » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:18 pm

is there no filter on this or am i tripping
bowenstidger

Advertisement:

Postby syntheticsolutions » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:21 pm

:yahoo:

Sign me up!
Replicants are like any other machine, they're either a benefit or a hazard. If they're a benefit, its not my problem.
syntheticsolutions

Gear: OB-8, Jupiter 4, Polysix, Juno 6, RS-505, MS-10, VC-10, CS-15, Opus 3, Dark Energy, Dark Time,Machinedrum, DX, RE-501, DC-50, Roland Rack, Foogers
Band: Lunar Modular

Postby chimney chop » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:50 pm

bowenstidger wrote:is there no filter on this or am i tripping

looks that way.

shame
chimney chop

Gear: plugiator
ti2
redback
nord stage 2
prophet 12

Postby Automatic Gainsay » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:48 pm

Their description of it doesn't mention analog at all.
If it isn't analog... what does it do that pretty much any digital/software polysynth couldn't do?
String synths just produce saw waves, and they usually do it paraphonically. So, what you're looking at is an extremely limited synthesizer without any synthesis functions that can only really do one thing (and without individual voice articulation)... something that any polysynth can already do. Most string synths depend entirely on how good the effect covers up how boring they are... so this had better have an awesome set of effects. But even so... aren't there some pretty amazing software effects out there right now?
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Minimoog, ARP 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, Dubreq S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Hohner Pianet T, Wurlitzer 7300, Wurlitzer 145-A.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Postby Sir Nose » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:30 am

$400

Cheaper than an Elkorus, but I'll wait to hear it before deciding if the savings is worth it.
Funkadelic wrote:nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty
Sir Nose

Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Postby calaverasgrande » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:38 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:Their description of it doesn't mention analog at all.
If it isn't analog... what does it do that pretty much any digital/software polysynth couldn't do?
String synths just produce saw waves, and they usually do it paraphonically. So, what you're looking at is an extremely limited synthesizer without any synthesis functions that can only really do one thing (and without individual voice articulation)... something that any polysynth can already do. Most string synths depend entirely on how good the effect covers up how boring they are... so this had better have an awesome set of effects. But even so... aren't there some pretty amazing software effects out there right now?

I think that while what you say is true, that is only true in a very general way.
I mean mac and cheese and fettuccine alfredo are the same thing in a very general way right?
If you look at a stringer as a synth, yeah it is pretty gosh darn boring.
But is not just about sound design. String machines may have been created as a cheap way for covers bands to pull off the sound of larger producitons. But they became an esthetic in their own right.
Though Kraftwerk, Jarre, Vangelis. Joy Division etc were probably just pulling out the string machines in their day because polyphony was expensive and doing chords with monosynths is time consuming.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave
calaverasgrande

Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, MF105m, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Poly 61, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Atari Punk, Synsonics Drums, MDM MK I, Volcas
Band: N.S.V.

Postby madmarkmagee » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:57 am

calaverasgrande wrote:

I think that while what you say is true, that is only true in a very general way.
I mean mac and cheese and fettuccine alfredo are the same thing in a very general way right?
But is not just about sound design. String machines may have been created as a cheap way for covers bands to pull off the sound of larger producitons. But they became an esthetic in their own right.
Though Kraftwerk, Jarre, Vangelis. Joy Division etc were probably just pulling out the string machines in their day because polyphony was expensive and doing chords with monosynths is time consuming.

But I think the point that is being made is that the product seems like a waste of money if it is a digital string machine? I mean I'm sure their is plenty of software/romplers with vintage string machine patches. And they are probably better value?

That said, it could be a bloody brilliant sounding digital string machine. Then it would make sense to buy it? :lol:
madmarkmagee

Gear: Korg R3
ESQ-1
Tetra
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Postby Automatic Gainsay » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:07 am

madmarkmagee wrote:
calaverasgrande wrote:

But I think the point that is being made is that the product seems like a waste of money if it is a digital string machine? I mean I'm sure their is plenty of software/romplers with vintage string machine patches. And they are probably better value?

That said, it could be a bloody brilliant sounding digital string machine. Then it would make sense to buy it? :lol:

It is a waste of money if it is a digital string machine because there are billions of polyphonic digital synths that can produce a saw wave and have interesting effects. If you're cool with digital/software, why would you own digital synth software, and THEN feel compelled to buy this product? It doesn't make any sense.

If this product happens to have the greatest effects ever known to digital hardware, then so be it... but we don't know yet. And yet, everyone's like "I MUST HAVE THIS." It doesn't make any sense.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Minimoog, ARP 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, Dubreq S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Hohner Pianet T, Wurlitzer 7300, Wurlitzer 145-A.

Postby calaverasgrande » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:48 am

Oh I get it, you guys are acting like Waldorf doesnt have any reputation of virtual analog ass kickery.
haha lol
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave
calaverasgrande

Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, MF105m, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Poly 61, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Atari Punk, Synsonics Drums, MDM MK I, Volcas
Band: N.S.V.

Postby Automatic Gainsay » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:52 am

calaverasgrande wrote:Oh I get it, you guys are acting like Waldorf doesnt have any reputation of virtual analog ass kickery.
haha lol

I don't even know what would constitute "virtual analog ass kickery." Wouldn't that mean it sounded analog?
What are you going to do with an extremely limited paraphonic saw wave generator that almost sounds like analog?
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby ninja6485 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:23 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:What are you going to do with an extremely limited paraphonic saw wave generator that almost sounds like analog?
Not give a shit and use it as a stringer? :dontknow:
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, esi4k,M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Postby Automatic Gainsay » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:52 am

ninja6485 wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:What are you going to do with an extremely limited paraphonic saw wave generator that almost sounds like analog?
Not give a shit and use it as a stringer? :dontknow:

You don't have a synth that could do this same thing?
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby Bitexion » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:35 am

I really don't know what the purpose of a "stringer" is in today's market. I mean, it's just a sawtooth generator with a chorus/flanger effect. Any synth can do that.

It doesn't even have a filter.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Postby CS_TBL » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:17 am

Just like I don't understand why there must be 10000 different guitars out there, all with the same strings, pickups, shape, controls etc.. The answer? "It sells"!
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids
CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Postby zoomtheline » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:32 am

People like things that do exactly what they want from the get go.

If you buy milk, you can make cheese! So why do people buy cheese?
zoomtheline

PreviousNext

Return to General Synthesizers