Waldorf Streichfett

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Re: Waldorf Streichfett

Postby madmarkmagee » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:38 am

If the thing is analog or does a better emulation that anything else of an arp omni or whatever, then of course there is going to be a market for it? How else are you going to do your scientific Joy Division Covers? The same reason people buy analog synths. Or violins... they don't have many knobs...
Last edited by madmarkmagee on Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
madmarkmagee

Gear: Korg R3
ESQ-1
Tetra
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Advertisement:

Postby madmarkmagee » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:45 am

Just something interesting from the mutable instrument forum

From pichenettes (I think that is Olivier Gillet? The guy who runs Mutable instruments)?

"Vintage string synthesizers are not really analog… They are mostly a big array of digital frequency dividers generating square waves from an array of “top octave” square oscillators (which can be simple analog things – but nothing like a VCO! – or more commonly digital). All this summed up in different ways to build different waveforms. The real “magic” in the string machines are the analog BBD chorus/ensemble effects.

I think the streichfett will be mostly digital, the only analog part being a BBD ensemble effect."
madmarkmagee

Gear: Korg R3
ESQ-1
Tetra
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Postby meatballfulton » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:36 pm

Geez, talk about stupid. Top down octave dividers are analog.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby moremagic » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:18 pm

octave dividing is a simple on/off process. its low tech digital technology that doesnt require microprocessor control, but its still digital
moremagic

Gear: small stone,nuo2,dd-6,ps-6,mf-102,mf-101,er-1,ps-5,mf-104z,pds-20/20,hd-1000,ep-501,mf-107,cp-251,mp-4,ad-9,pme-40x,s-10,sp-404sx,mpc2000xl,pds-1002

Postby meatballfulton » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:42 pm

Welcome to the rewritten history of the world :agree:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Postby moremagic » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:05 pm

do you not see the difference between a circuit which operates in one of two states and another which operates within a range of continuously variable states?
moremagic

Gear: small stone,nuo2,dd-6,ps-6,mf-102,mf-101,er-1,ps-5,mf-104z,pds-20/20,hd-1000,ep-501,mf-107,cp-251,mp-4,ad-9,pme-40x,s-10,sp-404sx,mpc2000xl,pds-1002

Postby calaverasgrande » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:21 pm

zoomtheline wrote:People like things that do exactly what they want from the get go.

If you buy milk, you can make cheese! So why do people buy cheese?

this
besides, I think you guys are over looking that this is in the form factor that Waldorf generally reserves for budget devices. It will likely be much cheaper than any poly synth on which you could put together a patch to be a stringer.
The only poly I currently own is a Korg Poly 61 which is not terribly effective in this regard. And this may be an indicator of my inadequacy as a sound designer but most synths just dont seem to have the kind of envelope behavior that I expect from a stringer.

Besides, I expect Waldorf is doing more than a simple bandpassed square wave with ensemble.
Likely there is a more sophisticated transfer function involving dynamics, distortion and other 'vintage' non-linearities. I do not KNOW this, but I would think it is obvious 'low hanging fruit' that would be easy to implement in code.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave
calaverasgrande

Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, MF105m, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Poly 61, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Atari Punk, Synsonics Drums, MDM MK I, Volcas
Band: N.S.V.

Postby wiss » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:27 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
ninja6485 wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:What are you going to do with an extremely limited paraphonic saw wave generator that almost sounds like analog?
Not give a shit and use it as a stringer? :dontknow:

You don't have a synth that could do this same thing?

If it was analog(which it could be) would there even be a debate about owning this one trick pony.

Like the idiot I am, I've sold every Roland Paraphonic I've owned and at the time of doing so, it seemed logical.

Currently, I don't own a single analog that is a duo, para, or poly. This would fill a void for me because I have no desire to purchase a vintage poly anytime soon(unless a P-5 dropped on my lap and the price was right).
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."
wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Postby meatballfulton » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:53 pm

moremagic wrote:do you not see the difference between a circuit which operates in one of two states and another which operates within a range of continuously variable states?

There's no conversion into the digital domain, so it's still analog from my EE perspective.

Digital logic ICs have been used in analog circuits in a number of ways over the years. I owned a guitar amp that used a CMOS hex inverter operated in the linear range to create harmonic distortion. I've seen XOR gates used to emulate ring modulators, etc.

In any event I would never call an instrument using a top octave generator digital.

Whatever :truce:
meatballfulton

Postby calaverasgrande » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:16 pm

LOL I suppose an Atari Punk synth is 'not analog' since it uses a timer IC as an osc.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave
calaverasgrande

Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, MF105m, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Poly 61, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Atari Punk, Synsonics Drums, MDM MK I, Volcas

Postby ninja6485 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:01 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
ninja6485 wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:What are you going to do with an extremely limited paraphonic saw wave generator that almost sounds like analog?
Not give a shit and use it as a stringer? :dontknow:

You don't have a synth that could do this same thing?
What, you mean a synth that can do the same thing your straw man can do, or a dedicated stringer? Because I don't have a dedicated stringer. And I'm not interested in one either. I just don't understand why you want to rain on this parade. It's a little box that does orchestral sounds, and Pluto. It's marketed to people who would be interested in having a little box that does orchestral sounds, and Pluto. Maybe they're immersed in the world of theory and composition, and they don't care about synthesis; they just want a little box that does orchestral sounds, and Pluto? Maybe it just looks fun to play with? Anyway, who cares, they're not forcing you to buy it are they? It would do you some good to be a little inquisitive instead of chastising people for having a preference you don't understand.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, esi4k,M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Postby meatballfulton » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:59 pm

It's no different than the demand for the new analog monos and drum machines that are similar to vintage ones.

70s stringers have a sound some people love (not me...Mellotron, please), working ones are getting harder to come by and this takes up a lot less space, plus USB, MIDI and patch memory...seems like it fills a need.
meatballfulton

Postby Bitexion » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:00 pm

Have to love Waldorfs own description:

Its dual sound engine features a fully polyphonic strings section and a monophonic solo section, which is essential for recreating how adult movies sounded thirty years ago. The Ensemble Effect handles lubrication of the String Section, while the Effects section adds adjustable Phaser or Reverb.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Postby calaverasgrande » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:31 pm

meatballfulton wrote:It's no different than the demand for the new analog monos and drum machines that are similar to vintage ones.

70s stringers have a sound some people love (not me...Mellotron, please), working ones are getting harder to come by and this takes up a lot less space, plus USB, MIDI and patch memory...seems like it fills a need.

Good examples.
to me the take away on this is that the price will likely be much less than most any programmable poly.
If it is less than $500 I will have a hard time keeping my wallet in my pants.
If it was a full size synth instead, with weighted keys and a huge 'vintage' style chassis (and price to match) I doubt they could move more than a few dozen.
calaverasgrande

Postby Sir Nose » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:01 am

Already posted, it's $400.

It was listed on JRRshop's emailer.
Funkadelic wrote:nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty
Sir Nose

Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

PreviousNext

Return to General Synthesizers