Akai Analog Drum Machine

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Re: Akai Analog Drum Machine

Postby Blue Monster 65 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:21 pm

He hides how angry he's gotta be pretty well. I wonder who fried it and how they're gonna get home. :lol:

Seriously, though - that's too bad. Looking forward to the audio demos when they show up.
Muhahahahahahahahaha!
Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Advertisement:

Postby Hugo76 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:58 pm

Some more info here:
Watch on youtube.com
Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby pflosi » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:28 pm

:( no programmable gate
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Postby Aaron2 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:57 pm

What a disasterous start for this product. It's set to make its debut at Musikmesse, and they have a broken machine, and -- to top things off nicely -- a lame excuse for how it got that way.

Why don't they just overnight another unit to Germany? Surely that can't be the only one in existence, can it?

There are going to be a flood of videos on YouTube in which the Akai rep will have to explain over and over again why they don't have a product to show. Bad PR, for sure.
Aaron2

Gear: Roland: Juno-106/S; JX-10; JX-8P; JX-3P; Juno-2
Elektron: MD, OT, A4, AK, AR
DSI: Tempest, MEK, P08M
Moog: Minitaur

Postby griffin avid » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:46 pm

Except DSI showed up to two NAMMs with a non-working proto-typed mock-up box and people got excited.
Roland just had their product images leaked and we stayed nutty for pages.

I think AKAI will be okay.

I actually think it'd be nice if we (the general public) didn't get ANY info till it was ready to go.
I'm getting tired of lusting for things so far away.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com
griffin avid
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby meatballfulton » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:27 pm

griffin avid wrote:I actually think it'd be nice if we (the general public) didn't get ANY info till it was ready to go.
I'm getting tired of lusting for things so far away.

+1,000,000

:agree:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Moog Voyager (FS), Live 9

Postby Stab Frenzy » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:27 am

Does anyone actually believe that they had a fully functional unit that then stopped making sound? I sure don't. If they really did have it working and then fried it by shorting a power rail or similar then the sequencer/button/digital functions would be the first thing to go rather than the analogue sound generation bits. And if by some amazing fluke just the analogue generation parts were damaged surely whatever it was that was damaged would be readily available in a big city like Frankfurt. They should just have said that they haven't got it finished yet, I'm pretty sure everybody's aware that most of the stuff shown at trade shows hasn't even had time for the solder to cool.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby Hugo76 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:55 am

I'll have to try one before I can decide wether or not I'll be purchasing this unit. It's starting to pile up with stuff here, and I'll be wiser to save up for the Analog RYTM instead (plus the A4 and the Octatrack). With the Akai, it'll all come down to how well the bass part will integrate with the drum parts, and how the overall sound will be.
Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby Percivale » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:40 am

That is normal, e.g. if Elektron can "lie" about their products and Samsung can "rig" benchmark scores, etc. It's marketing. There will always be believers.

Stab Frenzy wrote:Does anyone actually believe that they had a fully functional unit that then stopped making sound? I sure don't. If they really did have it working and then fried it by shorting a power rail or similar then the sequencer/button/digital functions would be the first thing to go rather than the analogue sound generation bits. And if by some amazing fluke just the analogue generation parts were damaged surely whatever it was that was damaged would be readily available in a big city like Frankfurt. They should just have said that they haven't got it finished yet, I'm pretty sure everybody's aware that most of the stuff shown at trade shows hasn't even had time for the solder to cool.
Percivale

Gear: Blofeld, Juno-106, AN1X, MB-6582/SEQ V4, etc

Postby rob_lee » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:25 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:Does anyone actually believe that they had a fully functional unit that then stopped making sound? I sure don't.

+1

Been looking at all these Messe videos on YouTube and these AKAI reps must feel like right MUGS when asked "Can we hear it"

I won't be investing in a bit of gear that breaks (IF IT DID) so easily lol :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
rob_lee
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: The field “Gear” is too long, a maximum of 150 characters is allowed.
Band: Rob Lee

Postby adekoyote » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:25 pm

Total Fail of a demo.
adekoyote

Gear: YAMAHA PSR460, ROLAND MC808, EDIROL, APC20, Emu Proteus 2500 and Yamaha RS7000, Yamaha Su700, Roland VP9000, Yamaha AW4416, Desktop Evolver
Band: The Ghostz of More

Postby calaverasgrande » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:10 am

dang it I am really trying hard to fight my gear addiction, and this is not helping!
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave
calaverasgrande

Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, MF105m, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Poly 61, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Atari Punk, Synsonics Drums, MDM MK I, Volcas
Band: N.S.V.

Postby kaeth » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:21 am

Having a broken unit seems a lot worse than having an unfinished one. Why would they trick people into thinking their product breaks easily?
kaeth

Postby Percivale » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:26 am

This thread's topic can be titled - Akai Rhythm Wolf.
Percivale

Gear: Blofeld, Juno-106, AN1X, MB-6582/SEQ V4, etc

Postby calaverasgrande » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:44 am

okay so is this another one of those "we have CV!" products that really doesn't?
I see one jack each for CV/Gate in and out.
Is this a stereo jack with separate CV and Gate?
In one of the demos the presenter makes it sound like it isn't CV gate at all but just clock pulse.
NOT THE SAME THING!
I'm still interested in it, but if it doesn't have CV AND gate, well one is kind of useless without the other (ahem... EHX)
I've also had bad luck in the past sharing a common ground with gate and CV. It should just work, but hey, a lot of gear is pissing all over the ground plane constantly.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave
calaverasgrande

Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, MF105m, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Poly 61, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Atari Punk, Synsonics Drums, MDM MK I, Volcas
Band: N.S.V.

PreviousNext

Return to General Synthesizers