Akai Analog Drum Machine

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Re: Akai Analog Drum Machine

Postby griffin avid » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:00 am

I could have sword he said "power rail" or something like that. I assumed they took a US product over to Germany and plugged it into their outlet, with different wattage, and fried it. That's sounds like a pretty stupid thing to do- but on one of my first vacations, my girlfriend almost did the same thing with her appliances.

And some hardware in the US comes with different plugs that fit into 'foreign' outlets. So it's possible they didn't know.
My MOTU hardware had a switch on the back for different currents. If they did that, no matter how quality a build it has, it aint surviving.

It is kinda hard to swallow, but that would be the undercurrent meaning.
Pun intended.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com
griffin avid
Expert Member
Expert Member

Advertisement:

Postby ninja6485 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:38 am

griffin avid wrote:Image I could have sword?

griffin avid wrote:Image I could have sword!

griffin avid wrote:Image I...could have sword...
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, esi4k,M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Postby calaverasgrande » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:54 am

griffin avid wrote:I could have sword he said "power rail" or something like that. I assumed they took a US product over to Germany and plugged it into their outlet, with different wattage, and fried it. That's sounds like a pretty stupid thing to do- but on one of my first vacations, my girlfriend almost did the same thing with her appliances.

And some hardware in the US comes with different plugs that fit into 'foreign' outlets. So it's possible they didn't know.
My MOTU hardware had a switch on the back for different currents. If they did that, no matter how quality a build it has, it aint surviving.

It is kinda hard to swallow, but that would be the undercurrent meaning.
Pun intended.

Kinda doubt that, external wall wart power supplies usually just die if you put them on 210 or 100 or som eother non US voltage they arent designed for. Also, some places are 50hz AC not 60hz. But that really only screws up large power transformers.
I'm thinking the internal power regulation got goofed or somethign got shorted. Lights were on, just no sound. Highly likely they blew the output op ampor a mix buss op amp with a short on the rails.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave
calaverasgrande

Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, MF105m, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Poly 61, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Atari Punk, Synsonics Drums, MDM MK I, Volcas
Band: N.S.V.

Postby griffin avid » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:11 am

@ninja6485: You have serious problems. :lol:
And now with that follow up, I can't even edit my post to fix it.

In that case, I wonder why they wouldn't cut a video 6 hours later or upload some audio somewhere.
I've seen videos that break off into full audio to avoid the live venue/noisy trade show- sound
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com
griffin avid
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby vuuv » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:19 am

no matter what else happens in this thread i can die happy with "i could have sword??" in my vocabulary now
vuuv

Postby wiss » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:37 am

Pre-Orders are being accepted.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."
wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Postby Aaron2 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:00 am

griffin avid wrote:In that case, I wonder why they wouldn't cut a video 6 hours later or upload some audio somewhere. I've seen videos that break off into full audio to avoid the live venue/noisy trade show- sound

What I'm wondering is, why didn't they just crack it open and fix it? Don't they have soldering irons in Frankfurt? :lol:
Aaron2

Gear: Roland: Juno-106/S; JX-10; JX-8P; JX-3P; Juno-2
Elektron: MD, OT, A4, AK, AR
DSI: Tempest, MEK, P08M
Moog: Minitaur

Postby rob_lee » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:13 am

Aaron2 wrote:
griffin avid wrote:In that case, I wonder why they wouldn't cut a video 6 hours later or upload some audio somewhere. I've seen videos that break off into full audio to avoid the live venue/noisy trade show- sound

What I'm wondering is, why didn't they just crack it open and fix it? Don't they have soldering irons in Frankfurt? :lol:

Exactly! The way I see it is that there never was a real working unit, this was a prototype with no actual sound board but with fancy flashing lights, it was rushed to messe to rock the boat, put a spanner in the works to complete with Roland and another, if I'm wrong the yeah why not just crack it open and fix it?
I smell a rat :lol: :lol: :lol:

Never mind the WOLF, should have called it the AKAI SNAKE..... FAIL! :roll: :mrgreen:
rob_lee
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: The field “Gear” is too long, a maximum of 150 characters is allowed.
Band: Rob Lee

Postby Aaron2 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:11 am

Despite the dodgy marketing thus far, and despite never having heard one, I preordered one anyway. I've got months to change my mind, so I've got nothing to lose. :lol:
Aaron2

Postby Aaron2 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:45 am

I can't believe that Akai still hasn't posted a sound demo of this machine. I mean, if you're going to unveil it at Musikmesse, you should at least have a real product to sell!
Aaron2

Postby kuroichi » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:58 am

I honesty think it was just a mock up that made no sound. Either that or they are still revising the sound of the machine.

In reality though, Akai don't seem like the most organised company nowadays. Hopefully this product will launch and have solid software etc, if there gonna do it right they should just take their time
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!
kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby wiss » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:21 pm

Still waiting for the video....
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."
wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Postby Blue Monster 65 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:14 pm

You may be right, but Akai is such a mess right now, I wouldn't be surprised if they just haven't gotten to it. Kind of sad, really; the joy of corporate consolidation.
Muhahahahahahahahaha!
Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby _dan » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:58 pm

The wolf looks like it could be fun... a little fishy that there is no demo as it doesn't take much to make a youtube video, i hope it isn't vapor.

_dan
========================
soundcloud.com/fy_11
Micron, Motif XF8, Reaper
========================
_dan

Postby sequentialsoftshock » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:11 pm

ryryoftokyo wrote:And there goes the final nail in the coffin for the AIRA series.

TR8 actually sounds pretty damn good IMO.

This thing would be sweet to have if it indeed comes in around $150-200. I have been using a Beats Volca the past week and I love this thing ! Thing is massive, has really good sounds, very flexible. It reminds me of a much better 606. Only thing that would make it better is if it had 16 banks, and changed patterns at the end of a step.
bonne chance
sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

PreviousNext

Return to General Synthesizers