Anybody got any insight into the Oberheim Matrix 6?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Re: Anybody got any insight into the Oberheim Matrix 6?

Postby oldsynth » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:27 pm

knolan wrote:Thanks for the info - very helpful and appreciated. had hoped to hear that it was on a par with the Xpander but seemingly not.

@Sir ruff - accept online demos are useful, but there's not substitute from hearing the thoughts of actual users (that's what forums are for ;) )

Mate, I've just bought a Matrix 6, and I've fallen in love with it. It sounds so good!
I've got quite a few analogue synths but the Matrix 6 is way above any of them for sounds.
oldsynth

Advertisement:

Postby darienx » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:42 am

I have two Matrix 6r's also a DSI Tetra and Mopho Keys.

The Oberheim's : learn to program patches because this is a deep unit, although it can choke on the midi, set your patches and play them live or in a studio system. With this being said, this is a great utility synth. I get some great bass sounds and am learning the deep layer to the programming.

I often layer it with the DSI's or make simular patches on the Tetra and get a thick modern sounding analog synth.

So it does have it flaws but good news at the time of this post, GliGli and friends have cracked the Matrix 1000, OS updates and CPU update. No more choking midi. 30 Years later. Sheesh.

I am sure the Matrix 6 is next for an os update.

Also know this: the Matrix 6 is a bi- timber synth, with two discrete outputs, I keep it in split mode where as one side does bass and the other I allocate four voices to that patch. Each has a discrete midi channel.

So while each synth has its strong points when you get a few synths, you cover the spectrum and the rest is patch programming.

Njoi

DX
darienx

Postby guitartone » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:32 pm

Hello guys. I am new to the forum. Two questions. I purchased matrix 6 for$ 499 was that a good price. Second question. It seems to have strange note behaviors. Some notes sound different than the rest . Meaning the majority of notes will have a modulation sound but two or 4 notes will not have a modulation. Some notes will not sustain or sound different. Do you guys have any clues. I have two weeks to decide.
guitartone

Postby baz99 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:47 pm

guitartone wrote:Hello guys. I am new to the forum. Two questions. I purchased matrix 6 for$ 499 was that a good price.

$499 is an average price, not a bargain, but you haven't been ripped off either.

Second question. It seems to have strange note behaviors. Some notes sound different than the rest . Meaning the majority of notes will have a modulation sound but two or 4 notes will not have a modulation. Some notes will not sustain or sound different. Do you guys have any clues. I have two weeks to decide.

It sounds like some of the voice chips could be defective. In that case the price you paid is not so good anymore, a partially defective unit should sell for less as you now have the hassle and expense of getting it fixed.
baz99

Postby guitartone » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:03 pm

Do you have a repair amount
guitartone

Postby Jabberwalky » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:25 pm

I had the same issue with my Matrix 6. Before you go and try to repair it, try to do the calibration procedure many times consecutively. That fixed mine.
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Sub37 | Dx7 | ProOne | MEK | 9700s |D50 |700s | |P61 | An1x | Dx21 | Emax2 | Ds8
Band: Variar, Model Human

Postby guitartone » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:15 pm

Thanks man. That seemed to work.
guitartone

Postby guitartone » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:34 pm

Allso. The advance arrow. I seem to have to push it twice to get it to work. Big prob or small
guitartone

Postby commodorejohn » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:31 pm

Probably small; dirty or worn tactile switches are common in these pushbutton-interface synths, but they're dead simple to replace as long as you line up a replacement part of the same switch type and dimensions. (Don't go to any trouble trying to find the exact original part, it's just a switch and you can get them from electronics suppliers for like $0.18 apiece.) You can do one in probably half an hour of soldering, or spend an afternoon and just replace them all.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
commodorejohn
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/DX7-IIFD/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/DSS-1, Hohner String Performer

Postby darienx » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:07 am

guitartone wrote:Hello guys. I am new to the forum. Two questions. I purchased matrix 6 for$ 499 was that a good price. Second question. It seems to have strange note behaviors. Some notes sound different than the rest . Meaning the majority of notes will have a modulation sound but two or 4 notes will not have a modulation. Some notes will not sustain or sound different. Do you guys have any clues. I have two weeks to decide.

As I may have mentioned earlier, I had to open up to unit, pull the six voice chips and clean the sockets and the pins on the chips. When I replaced everything my unit sounded amazing, it sounded good before and I really had no problem with it I was just doing regular maintenance.

So I suggest doing this and also looking at the power supply where the capacitors if they look a lil leaky you need to get those recapped.
darienx

Postby darienx » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:10 am

Would some of you guys like to start a new thread and let's make some patches with the Marrix 6, like real snappy bases and maybe even learn how to use the ramp as an amp envelope to get a faster response time.

Anyone anyone? Thank you as you were.
darienx

Postby guitartone » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:12 am

Thanks guys
guitartone

Postby hageir » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:43 pm

I've got a Matrix 6R (rack, mint)
I use a software editor with it,
I haven't tried the trigger in (Pedal input) and used that as a source for triggering the envelopes, it might be faster ;)
The Matrix is a huge synth, especially when you duplicate a patch, detune one a little bit, enter multi mode and play them both stacked! HUGE fatness can be had here..

But it's strong points are the routing possibilities and different sync modes. Very nice PW also
hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Previous

Return to General Synthesizers