Any one know about Ensoniq ESQ-1 cartridges?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Any one know about Ensoniq ESQ-1 cartridges?

Postby Tiger Jackson » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:01 pm

I was looking up the ESQ-1 Voice-80 cartridges which have many volumes. Are they re-writeable? Is there a list of which volume has which sounds?
Tiger Jackson
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Ensoniq ESQ-1, Microkorg, Yamaha DX100, Fizmo

Advertisement:

Re: Any one know about Ensoniq ESQ-1 cartridges?

Postby Solderman » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:44 pm

iirc all Voice 80 cartridges are read-only. I have a Voice Crystal 2 for rewriting, but I prefer to use Sound Diver and dump whole banks of sounds from the Syntaur site into battery saved memory. This page should be the list of VPC sounds.

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analogue. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." - Brian Eno
Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: μBrute, Kraftzwerg I w/MF101, CS-15(mod), Поливокс(mod), SH-101(mod), TR606(mod), TB303, α Juno 1, Virus b

Postby philip » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:37 am

All Maartist cartridges are rewritable,but they very rare
philip

Postby philip » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:41 am

160 patches rw
philip

Postby mpa1104 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:16 am

I only have the Vol 1 Voice 80 cartridge which is ROM. In fact, given its age, I'm surprised it's still reading properly! Didn't actually realise there were so many more, although I have noticed that a few of the internal sounds on my ESQ that I haven't since overwritten, appear to be from Vols 3 & 4 (well the names are the same anyway)
Whilst I can't vouch for the other Voice 80 volumes, I'm still surprised that the factory Internal and Vol 1 presets don't make a bigger point of showing off the Osc sync and AM/Ring-Mod capabilities, I've been having a ball with those since I did more digging over the years.
There was someone I met years ago who made his own re-writable cartridges (I think because they were same as the ones innnn ..... wasn't there an old computer that used the same type of cartridge? Sinclair? Commodore? something like that? - some other nerd will have to elucidate me there :) )
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't like my personality, I have several more.
mpa1104

Gear: VCS3, V-Synth, RS-202, Juno 60, Juno 2, VK-8M, MKB-1000, Rhodes Mark II, ESQ-1, ASR-10, Prophet VS, Triton Le, Beatstep, Theremin.

Postby Tiger Jackson » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:02 am

Yea, my voice crystal X recently stopped working. Either that or my ESQ-1 cart reader is busted, no idea how to figure between these two, besides buying a new cart which are expensive. I'll just try hooking it to sound diver from now on.
Tiger Jackson
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Tiger Jackson » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:10 am

Solderman wrote:iirc all Voice 80 cartridges are read-only. I have a Voice Crystal 2 for rewriting, but I prefer to use Sound Diver and dump whole banks of sounds from the Syntaur site into battery saved memory. This page should be the list of VPC sounds.

Great thanks, know where I can download them?
Tiger Jackson
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby meatballfulton » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:53 pm

Tiger Jackson wrote:
Solderman wrote: This page should be the list of VPC sounds.

Great thanks, know where I can download them?

You can buy them right there from Syntaur in various formats.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby pianoman » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:51 pm

I have two cartridges. The manufacture is Syntaur Productions, 500 W. Prairie, Eagle lake, TX 77434 Phone (409) 234-2700. This post is probably way too late.
pianoman

Postby Untouchable_888 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:14 pm

pianoman wrote:I have two cartridges. The manufacture is Syntaur Productions, 500 W. Prairie, Eagle lake, TX 77434 Phone (409) 234-2700. This post is probably way too late.

Do you still have them for sale?
~~~~

Also, i am looking for an editor i can download (maybe even buy). Any help or suggestions there?
I also was looking for a "how-to" or something to help teach me the programming of an ESQ1. I am experiencing a HUGE learning curve with this synth.

Thanks and sorry to bump. If the MOD wishes, i will just start a new thread.
A.D.I.D.A.S.
[All Day I Dream About Synths]

~[b]Ensoniq ESQ-1, Kong Volca Keys, Kong ESX-1, Boss BR-600 [?b]

FoX: Heart of Thorns
F8
Untouchable_888

Gear: Ensoniq ESQ1
Kong VOLCA Keys
Korg Electribe ESX-1
bass guitar
Band: Heart of Thorns

Postby Ashe37 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:11 pm

i don't know if it would work or could be adapted for ESQ1 carts, but there used to be a procedure for converting ROM VFX carts to RAM ones.
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Postby Baus » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:37 am

I am also looking for a RAM Cartridge. I recently got an ESQ-1 and I love it.

I have a lot of sounds in a librarian program that I downloaded but making my own sounds is much more fun.

The ESQ-1 is fairly easy to program. Let me know if I can help you out Untouchable_888
Baus

Postby Untouchable_888 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:28 pm

Baus wrote:I am also looking for a RAM Cartridge. I recently got an ESQ-1 and I love it.

I have a lot of sounds in a librarian program that I downloaded but making my own sounds is much more fun.

The ESQ-1 is fairly easy to program. Let me know if I can help you out Untouchable_888

Yes please . How do I get a filter sweep? Like so I play a single note and it sweeps automatically? I know that I can manually use the fader or buttons to change the value of the filter, but I want it to do it on its own.
A.D.I.D.A.S.
[All Day I Dream About Synths]

~[b]Ensoniq ESQ-1, Kong Volca Keys, Kong ESX-1, Boss BR-600 [?b]

FoX: Heart of Thorns
F8
Untouchable_888

Gear: Ensoniq ESQ1
Kong VOLCA Keys
Korg Electribe ESX-1
bass guitar
Band: Heart of Thorns

Postby spock » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:35 pm

Untouchable_888 wrote:How do I get a filter sweep? Like so I play a single note and it sweeps automatically? I know that I can manually use the fader or buttons to change the value of the filter, but I want it to do it on its own.

On my SQ80 (which I think is mostly the same as the ESQ-1, judging from pics), you just press the Filter button on the right hand side. That brings up the menu in the screen where you can see the bottom line says MODS. If you press one of the buttons under the screen you can then change the Filter Modulators. In this case you'd probably want LFO1, LFO2, LFO3 or ENV1-4, but it can also be VEL, WHEEL, PEDAL, etc. The next parameter along sets how much it will affect the filter (positive or negative), so adjust that to taste. You'll probably want to then fine-tune the LFO/ENV parameters in their own page, by pressing the corresponding button.

Such great synths and so easy to program - have fun! :D
JP-6+Europa JX-3P+PG200 TR-707 DR-55 PE-2000 SQ80 MW1 VZ1 CZ101 S3200XL BCR2000
126 565 H949 InstantPhaser SuperPrimeTime Vortex DPS-R7+F7 MU-R201 MU-L201 M1-XL D2
dbx Palindrometer Signex DB8000S Tango24 HDSP PhenomX6+16GB Debian GNU/Linux Ardour
spock

Gear: Piano, flutes, koncovka,
analogue+digital synths+FX,
African drums, percussion,
Tibetan singing bowls, gongs...

Return to General Synthesizers