Akai MPK 49

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Akai MPK 49

Postby ejlif » Sat May 03, 2014 10:43 pm

Hey guys not sure if this is a long shot but I have an Akai MPK 49 and I can't seem to figure out how to adjust the sensitivity to volume on the keys. It's def touch sensitive but it's like you have to barely hit it to get a low volume and hitting the key a little harder makes the sound play at almost full level. I looked in the manual and can't make sense of how to adjust this. I emailed Akai but no response.
ejlif

Gear: Roland V synth Waldorf Q Roland Juno 106 MOOg slim phatty, Elektron analog 4, DSI P12, MS20 mini, Virus TI, Novation BSII,
Band: ejlif

Advertisement:

Re: Akai MPK 49

Postby Synthetech » Sun May 04, 2014 1:03 am

If you are asking about the Key Velocity settings, there is only On and Off to choose from.
No adjustment in between at all.

I had issues with my keys not playing a note on my MPK61unless I hit them pretty hard. Ended up that I had to take the keybed apart and shim underneath the keys with a tiny thin piece of cardboard to fix the problem.

Did you buy yours new, or used off of fleabay or CL?
Synthetech

Postby ejlif » Sun May 04, 2014 4:57 pm

Oh wow that is really bad news this thing is garbage to me then. You have to barely hit it to get it to play a low volume and if you just touch it slightly harder than that it's almost full volume. I guess something must be wrong with it. I bought it brand new so it's under warranty. I just bough so much new stuff at once I'm trying to work out the kinks and just getting around to this one. I bought an Arturia key lab 49 also and that one is much more touch sensitive but a few of the keys if you hit them very light don't sound at all. Need a good quality controller.
ejlif

Gear: Roland V synth Waldorf Q Roland Juno 106 MOOg slim phatty, Elektron analog 4, DSI P12, MS20 mini, Virus TI, Novation BSII,

Postby Synthetech » Sun May 04, 2014 6:06 pm

If you know how to read midi hex msg's, here is a sample of me hitting my MPK61 in a progressively harder hit each time..
the red number is the velocity value(80 3C 00 is Note Off)
As you can see, I tried to be progressive, but the first 3x were the same, 01. Then I get it to do 0F (15 in decimal), then 18h (24 decimal).. then it jumps to 34h (52 decimal), then it seems to have more fine control above that with 35h, 44h, 58h, 60h.... to finally 7Fh (127 decimal)

90 3C 01
80 3C 00
90 3C 01
80 3C 00
90 3C 01
80 3C 00
90 3C 0F
80 3C 00
90 3C 18
80 3C 00
90 3C 34
80 3C 00
90 3C 35
80 3C 00
90 3C 44
80 3C 00
90 3C 58
80 3C 00
90 3C 60
80 3C 00
90 3C 68
80 3C 00
90 3C 6C
80 3C 00
90 3C 76
80 3C 00
90 3C 76
80 3C 00
90 3C 7B
80 3C 00
90 3C 7F
80 3C 00

before you get ahold of Akai, check your velocity values with a midi monitor like SendSx or MidiOx (both are free to download).

Heck, do a test and post the results in here so we can see what kind of variations you have going.
Akai will most likely ask for this info anyway to help them troubleshoot it remotely before you actually turn it in on warranty.
Trust me, you do NOT want to take it in to be "repaired".. either get a full refund and move on or have them replace it completely with a fully functional unit if you wish to keep one.
Back in 1998 I tried to get my Akai 3000xl fixed at a local "authorized" warranty tech. That SOB had my sampler for SIX F'n MONTHS! And then eventually he ended up shipping the damn thing to them anyways to fix it.

Sounds like your Arturia has maybe either a shim problem with the keys like I had with my Akai or there is dirt/foreign substance inhibiting contact at low velocities.
Was the Arturia new too??

My Akai was used/broken when I bought it off an ebay seller for $87 shipped.
It had a burned out power supply on the main board. Since it was all SMT, I did not have the ability to remove the defective components and repair it properly.
So I bought a new main board (at the tune of $120!), got it working.. then found the dead key issue.. fixed the dead keys and now am VERY happy with it... $200 for a MPK61? Oh HELL YEA!

I think Akai had a bad run on some of the early units.. not sure.
I do have a complaint about the Akai wont send a program change anymore... I think it worked initially, but now when I choose a Program number and press the Enter encoder (next to the screen), it wont activate.. just sits there and blinks "Press Enter".
Seems the Program Change issue is the only complaint I have with it, but since I dont use it.. I could care less.

I believe the MPK49 has a firmware update that fixes some problems.. maybe you might have issues related that an update will fix and I'm sure Akai will ask you to do this if it has not been done already. Unfortunately for me, there isn't a firmware update for the MPK61 that I know of.

Want to know of a decent controller?? I have a M-Audio Ozonic. It's a 3 octave keyboard with Fire-wire Audio, 4 ins/outs, gobs of knobs 'n sliders and a joystick xy control!
Have not had a single issue with it. It has the best aftertouch feel of my three AT equipped keyboards (MPK61 and Kawai K3 are the other two).
They are no longer sold new, but can be found used on ebay once in awhile.
I prefer to use the larger Akai, but the Ozonic is my Audio interface and I just love the little joystick on it.

PS- M-Audio is part of the same Co. that owns Akai. So they are basically the same Co., just different names.
Synthetech

Postby ejlif » Mon May 05, 2014 5:01 am

Thank you for the information I appreciate it. I did some searching around and I'm not the only one out there with the same issue. I'll see what Akai says. If this can't work like a normal keyboard it's pretty much junk to me since I have an Ableton Push sitting right next to it I'd never touch a pad on the Akai the Ableton is so much nicer.
ejlif

Return to General Synthesizers