Korg Volca Keys Polyphony via Novation BassStation 2

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Korg Volca Keys Polyphony via Novation BassStation 2

Postby molson » Wed May 07, 2014 8:08 pm

I was interested in how well it would work to control the Volca Keys with the Novation BassStation II keyboard. I could only find one video online that demonstrated the Volca Keys 3 Note Polyphony controlled via a midi connected controller so decided to pick up a Volca Keys and test it myself. Below is a brief video demonstration if you are interested:

Last edited by molson on Wed May 07, 2014 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
molson

Advertisement:

Re: Korg Volca Keys Polyphony controlled via Novation BassSt

Postby Aaron2 » Wed May 07, 2014 9:46 pm

Interesting. I own both of these instruments, and for whatever reason, it never occurred to me that the BSII transmitted polyphonic MIDI. So that's good to know. Probably the best use of this setup would be to use the BSII's keyboard to play notes into the Volca's internal sequencer. Playing the Volca's own "keys" is kind of a PITA. :D
Aaron2

Gear: Roland: Juno-106/S; JX-10; JX-8P; JX-3P; Juno-2
Elektron: MD, OT, A4, AK, AR
DSI: Tempest, MEK, P08M
Moog: Minitaur

Re: Korg Volca Keys Polyphony via Novation BassStation 2

Postby Kenneth » Thu May 08, 2014 4:43 am

Man, I hate the sound of the Volca Keys. It just always sounds like a car horn...
Kenneth

Gear: Voyager. Microbrute. Monotron. Monotron Duo. Monotribe. Dark Time. Casiotone 405
Band: Glacier Academy

Postby Psy_Free » Thu May 08, 2014 10:10 am

Kenneth wrote:Man, I hate the sound of the Volca Keys. It just always sounds like a car horn...

:roll:
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
-----------------------------------------------------------
Bandcamp : http://sachagibsonklangzeit.bandcamp.com/
Soundcloud : http://soundcloud.com/psy_free
Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Some synths, guitars, effects & circuit bent bongos
Band: Klangzeit

Postby Sheherezadeh » Thu May 08, 2014 8:20 pm

That's cool to know, though I still can't stand the thought of having to play much of anything on a board with less than 37 keys, which is still pushing it. For programming sounds, ok, but live performance? Ick.
Sheherezadeh

Gear: Sub 37/Virus TI/XS8+ESr/NE373/RD700GX/Tetra/Slim Phatty/MS20m/Mini+Micro Brutes/Ion/JP8000/Z1/Microkorg XL/7 Moogerfoogers/all Volcas/'trons/Tribe

Postby ranzee » Fri May 09, 2014 12:26 am

I had a go at this. Can confirm that it works to some extent. I can't seem to get the 4th note to work, unless you start mucking around with high/low key priority. It isn't ideal. I also tried Line-in with the Volca Keys - and used the Ext In pot to mix. Not as good as running it through a different mixer channel. Although you do get to fiddle with the filter. I've noticed the that Freq pot really causes some whacky stuff on the Keys - probably a sysex thing.

I also had a try at using the Minibrute to do the same - and it doesn't work. Mono all the way. Although it is nice to use the audio-in feature.
ranzee

Gear: http://www.ranzs.com/gear-list/
Band: ranzee ranz

Postby molson » Fri May 09, 2014 12:32 am

Sheherezadeh wrote:I still can't stand the thought of having to play much of anything on a board with less than 37 keys, which is still pushing it. For programming sounds, ok, but live performance? Ick.

I would love a Bass Station 2 with a larger built in keyboard. Keep hoping one of these companies makes a simple analog poly with a knob per function interface.
molson

Postby Jabberwalky » Fri May 09, 2014 1:18 am

I have a feeling Novation is working on it. The way that they built the Bs2 just lends perfectly to a poly upgrade. They could use the same amount of knobs and give it more shift+key functions.
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Dx7|ProOne|MEK|9700s|Ms20m|700s|
|P61|An1x|Dx21|Emax2|Ds8
Band: Variar, Model Human

Postby Sheherezadeh » Fri May 09, 2014 12:56 pm

molson wrote:
Sheherezadeh wrote:I still can't stand the thought of having to play much of anything on a board with less than 37 keys, which is still pushing it. For programming sounds, ok, but live performance? Ick.

I would love a Bass Station 2 with a larger built in keyboard. Keep hoping one of these companies makes a simple analog poly with a knob per function interface.

If I were a company that could produce analog polys, it seems that there's a void in the market that could be filled. A 3-4 voice, 37-49 key, knob-per-function analog right around $1k would seem to be a grandslam in-between the BS2/MiniBrute/MS20m/etc. and then the Analog Keys or Sub 37. The Mopho X4 is really the only choice right there, so Novation, Arturia, or heck, Korg, Roland, Yamaha could come up with something killer with the right engineering ingenuity.
Sheherezadeh

Gear: Sub 37/Virus TI/XS8+ESr/NE373/RD700GX/Tetra/Slim Phatty/MS20m/Mini+Micro Brutes/Ion/JP8000/Z1/Microkorg XL/7 Moogerfoogers/all Volcas/'trons/Tribe

Postby molson » Fri May 09, 2014 12:58 pm

Kenneth wrote:Man, I hate the sound of the Volca Keys. It just always sounds like a car horn...

Ha! After playing around with the Volca Keys more I would have to agree, pretty car horny with the filter open at all.
molson

Return to General Synthesizers